“Wow” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 97 hotels in Hualien
Hualien, Taiwan
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed at the Cullinan mid-January and was blown away by the outstanding service at the front desk. Staff went above and beyond to help with my travel arrangements and ensure my visit in Hualien was easy and comfortable despite my limited Mandarin. The location of the hotel is good with easy access to a large, well-designed shopping complex with food court. Room was clean.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
CullinanHotel, A.M. at Cullinan Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you to time your time to share your review with us, i am glade to hear that your satisfied with your stay.we hope to see you again in near future .

Regards

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I booked the biggest room (3 beds) in this hotel for 1 night stay.

This hotel, as feedback by many, provide very good and attentive hospitality. The location is good; near to a shopping mall and convenient shop which open 24hrs. They even provide shuttle to-and-from local train station. The room even has bible, provided in the drawer. The beds are big.

However, I wish to feedback that the hotel condition is rather disappointing. The overall ambient is rather dim and the furniture are old (old wooden odour, and poor ventilation). The toilet has poor ventilation and some corners is rather dark. Perhaps the hotel may want to consider "refresh" and modernize some of the facilities and layout, especially the corridor.

The breakfast definitely need to be improved. The porridge is too "watery", hardly any rice/grains in the pot. Not much choices and didn't taste as good.

I would recommend this hotel for travellers visiting HuaLian with friends, but not with family.

Dear Guest

Thank you to time your time to share with stay with us, in the comment that you mention, we will put in our consideration. once again it is our pleasure to having you stay with us

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Hotel is just a rather small one, but good enough, at least it's a building of its own! Service is not bad, staff are helpful, and answered our questions promptly and politely. The room is rather nice, clean and nice, bathroom as well! Breakfast was very average though, edible, but not fantastic. (Didn't expect much anyway, rather cheap deal, so it was fine!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CullinanHotel, A.M. at Cullinan Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Guest

thank you to taking time to share your experience with us , its great pleasure to have you to stay with us, we hope to see you and serve you and your family friends in near future

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I booked this hotel because of the price but also the descriptions of the helpful staff, and I was not at all disappointed. I was a little wary as, when I called in a few hours before I was due to arrive to book a pick up from the station, they let me know that I should have given them at least 1 day's notice. However, I also asked for a rental car to be arranged on my behalf. After arriving by taxi (I showed the driver the address in Chinese and we went straight there for TWD 145) I was incredibly impressed to see that they had arranged a car rental for my two days at rates better than what my Taiwanese friends said I could get. The staff at the front were very helpful and willing to answer any and every question that I came up with, and most spoke great English with those who did not still speaking enough to understand my requests and help out.

Our room was spacious with great beds, a nice bathroom, and good cable TV with a fair amount of English. The ceiling did have a bit of mould and the hotel was a little worn around the edges, but it was well maintained otherwise and did not detract from the otherwise perfect stay. When I pointed out to the staff that the wifi in the room was too weak to use, they let us borrow a wifi router to plug into the LAN port in our room, creating our own mini (and VERY fast) wifi network. Breakfast was good with decent western options - nothing special but filling.

Location-wise you are a bit further from the station. The hotel is right across the road from a department store with a food court and McDonald's in the basement, and within easy walking distance of many restaurants and cafes. I did not see any downside to the location and on the plus side I had some amazing local food.

All in all I would readily stay here again and recommend it to anyone else coming through. Better than budget for nearly the same price, and aside from the tippy top of the 5 stars I do not think anywhere in Hualien could pamper me more.

Room Tip: We stayed in the triple room on the top (8th) floor. All other rooms I saw during cleaning times lo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Trevor

Thank you so much to spend your time to share your journey with us, and i hope its a great memory for you and your friends for a reunion, once again thank you to stay with us, hope to see you again in near future

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stay at Cullinan for 2 nights in mid Dec. Upon arrival at the train station called to arrange for pick up but was told that we have to pre-book for that service; ended up catching the taxi to the hotel. The free shuttle to the train station was never offered during the three days we were there. We were just told there was no public buses in that area and the only means of transport was to catch the taxi, so we did.

Pros:
- Walking distance to city centre BUT not to train station.
- Coin operated washing machine and dryer, detergent provided.
- Generally clean.
- Close proximity to a departmental store. Love the bakery at A-mart.

Cons:
- Breakfast.
- non free shuttle as mentioned
- cannot make outgoing calls from room, was told to walk across the road to 7-11 to make any calls.

Overall impression of the hotel still above average for that price range.

Room Tip: Make sure you pre-book for pick-up service at the train station.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CullinanHotel, A.M. at Cullinan Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you to spend time to share your experience, for all the disadvantage side of the your stay, therefore we will mention to our staff to make sure all the require that we will resolve. once again thank you to stay with us, its our pleasure to have you

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My younger sister and I stayed for two nights at Cullinan. On the train to Hualien, we called the hotel and they were able to pick us up from the station (complimentary service), a 5-min drive to the hotel.

The staff are mostly proficient in English. They are also very knowledgeable about local attractions such as the night market and Taroko Gorge tours and are happy to give recommendations and help with booking upon request. Upon check-in, a staff member made an error charging my card, but called once we reached our room to correct it immediately. Facilities are basic but room decorations are tastefully chosen. The elevator is quick, efficient, and never congested.

A few minuses that didn't really soil our experience at Cullinan:
Windows are small; they're not there for a view! Breakfast is understandably basic but could nonetheless be a little tastier. Pillows are on the quite firm side. To really get into details, our blanket covers were totally open at one end and were coming apart a bit at the seams.

We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review following your recent vacation at cullinan hotel

I am delighted to learn that you and your sister thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, many thanks for your gracious words regarding the hotel and our colleagues.

Once again thank you for your comments and I also would like to thank you on behalf of the team, your words will not only motivate these colleagues but the entire team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to cullinan hotel hualien hopefully in the very near future.

Regards

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Enjoyed the stay at the hotel.
Good location and the room was very clean.
The staff were very efficient and helpful.

The breakfast can be improved.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your recent stay at Cullinan hotel Hualien

I am of course most concerned to learn of your disappointment and would like to extend my sincere apologies for the breakfast , for that our hotel recently is focus on the variety of the choice for the breakfast

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention regarding some of our breakfast choice

We certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and serving you again in the very near future.

Eli

Been to Cullinan Hotel? Share your experiences!