“Awesome Minsu in Hualien for Anyone Everyone” 4 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #33 of 1,000 Hualien B&B and Inns
4.5 of 5 stars 112 Reviews
Singapore
“Awesome Minsu in Hualien for Anyone Everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Having been in Hualien before and stayed in another backpacker hostel, I found Sunrise Minsu a really comfy and interesting resting place for young travelers like us. Racheal, the humble lady boss from HK who's constantly saying her mandarin isn't good (she was speaking really well), was offering plenty of travel itinerary for me and my friend when we encountered bad weather on the first day of arrival. Our objective of the stay was Taroko Gorge but we got more out of it from the help of Racheal and Ah Pao (Mr Chen aka BOSS!). Racheal sent us on a shopping frenzy in the night markets on the rainy night while Ah Pao brought us to multiple beautiful sceneries in Hualien during the Taroko tour. I seriously missed out on a few of the places on my first trip there and really enjoyed myself thoroughly this time round.

The room was exactly like what the pictures offer and there's wifi too!
The room was decorated according to themes and is comparable to hotel standards.
The bed was comfy for busy travelers like us that had walked other county before Hualien. So comfy that we were stuck watching korean dramas and refusing to get out of bed.
Location wise, Sunrise was a little difficult to find on our first day probably due to some cabby drivers not familiar with the location and Sunrise wasn't around for long. But there's a solution to it and that's traveling on a certain taxi company that's sorta affiliated to Sunrise and it's a fixed cheap price no matter where you call for the taxi. Trust me, you'll grow to love taxis offering such good rates and the cabbies are so friendly!

I was traveling around Taiwan and our stay at Hualien turned out to be the most eventful and fulfilling.
So if you're looking a short adventure in Hualien, do drop by Sunrise Minsu! :)

*Ps. I accidentally left a package at the hostel and Ah Pao delivered to me at the train station promptly when I called them.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

We booked a room for four. It was spacious, with a great view with the sparse array of Taroke Gorge front in our face! However, the basic amenities might be lacking compared to 3-star hotels. The bathroom had bad ventilation so it stank up once someone crapped in the toilet. Towels provided were only in the size of a face towel. There is no wardrobe, only a slots to hang against the wall. The most inconvenient part was having to climb up to the 4th storey where the room was located. Especially since my father had difficulty walking, the climbing portion was a huge minus. We didnt expect such, until we got there. Breakfast is provided, but it's only so-so. A plus point, is that it is accessible to a night market nearby, about 10 mins walk.

The minsu also provides tour options, because the man of the house, named Ah Bao, is a tour guide/ cabbie himself. While this allows convenient arrangement, we didn't enjoy the tour as much, compared to another cabbie that we hired when we were touring Yehliu/ Jiufen. Mainly because Ah Bao wasn't very comprehensive in introducing the place when he took us around. Although he told us to take our time, his tone and actions made him seem very impatient and we felt as though we had to rush about.

Though the entire experience wasn't that good, it wasn't that bad either. However, if I were to tour Hualien again, I would try another minsu and book another cab/ tour myself.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

My friends and I spent 3 days 2 nights in Hualien and stayed at this lovely budget, cosy and prettily decorated "Minsu" run by a young couple (Ah Bao, a native from Hualien, and Rachel who is originally from Hong Kong). This Minsu is about 1 year old and this young couple are always thinking of ideas in sprucing up the place. They will offer personalised tour packages around Hualien at a reasonable price from NTD1300 per person per day (usually for a min. of 2 pax). The homestay includes a yummy breakfast of either bagel/focaccia/taiwanese wrap with different ingredients. Check out their room rates here:http://www.bbsunrise.tw/eroom.htm

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hualien Sunrise Hostel? Share your experiences!