“Beautiful Little Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 904 Hualien B&B and Inns
Johor Bahru
“Beautiful Little Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice lovely minsu run by a couple and their lovely baby. I was contemplating staying here initially as I was travelling alone and would have saved if I stayed in a dorm / hostel. However, the good reviews and nice pictures in their website made me go ahead with the decision to stay here and did not regret it.

This minsu is not in the town centre but close to the Zi Qiang Night Market which is the most famous night market in Hualien and where all the good food is. There are also some good restaurants nearby the minsu, such as the fish soup (recommended by the owners) and the very cheap Tiramisu cake (apparently this is very famous in Hualien), all within walking distance. The rooms are VERY clean, nicely decorated and made up each day. Towels were changed and toothbrushes, toothpaste and shower gels are replenished every day too! The owners are nice people, and managed to strike good conversations with Rachel, the lady boss. Her husband is reponsible for bringing guests around for day tours and he recommends the best food in Hualien, simply love the muah chee he brought us to buy! Amazing. They also go all out to help me arrange my tours by suggesting the best times and best places and really thankful for them for helping me to change my train tickets 3 times! Free pick ups from train station too if you arrive before 5pm. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on 17/9/2013 and the deepest impression I have is the very beautiful room. Clean and nicely decorated. We paid a bit more for the outside view which could only be appreciated in day time.

Here are some positive feedback:
1. Room - clean and nice. Basic amenities are provided except for body towels. We noted this and brought our own.

2. Location - it is within walking distance to Zhiqiang night market but it still takes 10-15mins. If it rains, the walking distance will seem to be longer than it is.

3. Booking was convenient and easy. Rachel can write good English and Chinese.

The only disadvantage (like most other Minsus) is that it is not elderly friendly because one has to climb a flight of stairs to reach your room.

When we checked out at 8.20am, there was no one at the counter. I probably think they work on the basis of trust, so I left the key at the counter with no one to say bye bye to. The Minsu helped to book us on a whale watching package but the driver was late for 10-15mins. From our past experience, all drivers are very punctual. So we were concerned and called Rachel by mobile (I think) but no one picked up the call. Luckily the driver turned up and we were glad that they are just being late. For this, I rate a 3 out of 5 for their services.

• Stayed September 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here three nights and every night was a pleasure. The room was clean and well maintained. The room was tidied up daily and toiletries and towels replaced. The minsu is located within walking distance of the night market and along the way there you'll also pass a nice Bento rice stall. An alternative if you've already tried all the food at the night market. The owners Rachel and Paul are very friendly people. Rachel picked us up on the first day and gave us directions on how to get around. An overall very pleasant experience staying here.

• Stayed June 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is beautifully decorated and the entire property is very well maintained, with good cleanliness. This place made us feel right at home instantly. Location wise, it's within walking distance to a night market so food is not an issue.
The couple, Rachel & Paul are very hospitable. When they found out that my partner and I were getting married this year end, they gave us a souvenir and also provided us with some snacks on our way back to Taipei for the train ride.
We personally enjoyed our stay here very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights back in November. We arrived earlier than scheduled and so we can't enter the hotel (you need to scan the token to enter). Paul and Rachel rushed back from where they were within 15 minutes to check us in even though this is clearly from my misjudgement of time. We had the superior room with victorian style bed for the first night and the standard for the second night. Below are my observations:

1. Helpful/friendly staff

Paul made sure everything is alright for us and gave us a welcome gift (I think was a pack of muachi, local delicacy). Like mentioned, we arrived earlier than expect and we had the couple rushed back to check us in just right after they left. Instead of us apologising to them for the inconvenience, they were the ones that apologised to us for not being there.

2. Rooms

For the first night our room was facing the main road and though my partner is a light sleeper (well, I am not), he finds it acceptable for the slight sound. No worries though as I find that the street is quite deserted as night falls. Please be reminded to bring your own towel as only face towels are provided. But rest assured, other basic amenities (ie. soap, bottled water, etc) are provided. Bedding is comfortable and I guess the only think I would complain about is the lack of space and clothes hangers for you to hang your clothing should you have the habit of drying/airing out worn clothes for the day before packing it back to your luggage to avoid the sweat smell.

3. Toilets

This is something I wish people coming to Taiwan will really take note of and to not blame them for the plumbing system. I have been to Taiwan twice and I can vouch that besides the main city centre (i.e. Taipei, Kaoshiung..which some of the hotels in the city do tell you not to put soiled papers in the toilet) most of the toilets are not supposed to have soiled tissue papers thrown in. Please understand that the plumbing system is there for years. Yes, they are in the hotel industry, but even if they redo the plumbing for the minsus, they can't 'redesign and revamp' the underground plumbing which is unable to 'process' the soiled tissue papers.

4. Environment

This minsu overall makes me feel at home. I take off my shoes at home and perhaps this is a personal opinion, I do fancy my smelly shoes in my room, especially where I sleep after a day of trekking into the rainy Tarako (it was rainy season when I was there). So this is a no biggie for me.

About the minsu's location, it is located at a quiet main road, away from the night market (10-15 mins depending on your speed). I felt safe though when I was walking there for 2 nights to the night market. Please have your print out of the minsu's name in chinese readily available should your cab driver mistaken it for another minsu. From the train station to the minsu, the cab fare should be approximately NTD180 IIRC.

5. Food

Most minsus do not provide breakfast unless stated otherwise, so it is best for you to do your homework before coming in. But rest assured, there are just many food that you could buy the night before and have in the morning (if you don't mind). The 7-11s are really awesome with its food selection.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The location was a distance away from the town area of hualien but the room decor made it worth it
we booked 4 rooms - 2 standard and 2 superior. all 4 rooms were nicely decorated. Our fav was the superior room on level 2 - so princessy and spacious
Superior room was smaller with lesser walking space...but still comfortable
all rooms were very very clean - made the stay so enjoyable
remember to bring your bath towel as the minsu only provides a small hair towel
there's a breakfast place near the minsu that sells fish porridge - very nice and cheap, good venue for breakfast

Room Tip: Ask for superior room on level 2 - less steps to climb and very pretty room