“Lovely homestay, value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #24 of 920 Hualien B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely homestay, value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here three nights and every night was a pleasure. The room was clean and well maintained. The room was tidied up daily and toiletries and towels replaced. The minsu is located within walking distance of the night market and along the way there you'll also pass a nice Bento rice stall. An alternative if you've already tried all the food at the night market. The owners Rachel and Paul are very friendly people. Rachel picked us up on the first day and gave us directions on how to get around. An overall very pleasant experience staying here.

• Stayed June 2013

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is beautifully decorated and the entire property is very well maintained, with good cleanliness. This place made us feel right at home instantly. Location wise, it's within walking distance to a night market so food is not an issue.
The couple, Rachel & Paul are very hospitable. When they found out that my partner and I were getting married this year end, they gave us a souvenir and also provided us with some snacks on our way back to Taipei for the train ride.
We personally enjoyed our stay here very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights back in November. We arrived earlier than scheduled and so we can't enter the hotel (you need to scan the token to enter). Paul and Rachel rushed back from where they were within 15 minutes to check us in even though this is clearly from my misjudgement of time. We had the superior room with victorian style bed for the first night and the standard for the second night. Below are my observations:

1. Helpful/friendly staff

Paul made sure everything is alright for us and gave us a welcome gift (I think was a pack of muachi, local delicacy). Like mentioned, we arrived earlier than expect and we had the couple rushed back to check us in just right after they left. Instead of us apologising to them for the inconvenience, they were the ones that apologised to us for not being there.

2. Rooms

For the first night our room was facing the main road and though my partner is a light sleeper (well, I am not), he finds it acceptable for the slight sound. No worries though as I find that the street is quite deserted as night falls. Please be reminded to bring your own towel as only face towels are provided. But rest assured, other basic amenities (ie. soap, bottled water, etc) are provided. Bedding is comfortable and I guess the only think I would complain about is the lack of space and clothes hangers for you to hang your clothing should you have the habit of drying/airing out worn clothes for the day before packing it back to your luggage to avoid the sweat smell.

3. Toilets

This is something I wish people coming to Taiwan will really take note of and to not blame them for the plumbing system. I have been to Taiwan twice and I can vouch that besides the main city centre (i.e. Taipei, Kaoshiung..which some of the hotels in the city do tell you not to put soiled papers in the toilet) most of the toilets are not supposed to have soiled tissue papers thrown in. Please understand that the plumbing system is there for years. Yes, they are in the hotel industry, but even if they redo the plumbing for the minsus, they can't 'redesign and revamp' the underground plumbing which is unable to 'process' the soiled tissue papers.

4. Environment

This minsu overall makes me feel at home. I take off my shoes at home and perhaps this is a personal opinion, I do fancy my smelly shoes in my room, especially where I sleep after a day of trekking into the rainy Tarako (it was rainy season when I was there). So this is a no biggie for me.

About the minsu's location, it is located at a quiet main road, away from the night market (10-15 mins depending on your speed). I felt safe though when I was walking there for 2 nights to the night market. Please have your print out of the minsu's name in chinese readily available should your cab driver mistaken it for another minsu. From the train station to the minsu, the cab fare should be approximately NTD180 IIRC.

5. Food

Most minsus do not provide breakfast unless stated otherwise, so it is best for you to do your homework before coming in. But rest assured, there are just many food that you could buy the night before and have in the morning (if you don't mind). The 7-11s are really awesome with its food selection.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The location was a distance away from the town area of hualien but the room decor made it worth it
we booked 4 rooms - 2 standard and 2 superior. all 4 rooms were nicely decorated. Our fav was the superior room on level 2 - so princessy and spacious
Superior room was smaller with lesser walking space...but still comfortable
all rooms were very very clean - made the stay so enjoyable
remember to bring your bath towel as the minsu only provides a small hair towel
there's a breakfast place near the minsu that sells fish porridge - very nice and cheap, good venue for breakfast

Room Tip: Ask for superior room on level 2 - less steps to climb and very pretty room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 12 nights. Very good location with swimming pool and restaurants on site. Room very spacious and clean..concierge service very informative.would thoroughly recommend.
Make sure that you ask for directions to the magic waterfalls.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My experience with Sunrise is quite good even before i fly to Taiwan. If you happen to read the news that the Suhua highway to Hualien was damaged due to erosion and all train tickets are fully booked as trains are the only way to travel to Hualien, Rachel had helped to find out the train availability so that i can book in SG when i dropped her an email for help. When there's none available, she comforted me that i can still able to get no seat ticket when i reached the train station as initially i thought all tickets must be seated. Angela, the mother had came to fetch us at the train station when i dropped Rachel an email to ask about transport just 3 hours before i travel to Hualien. I'm thankful as I didn't expect Sunrise will come and fetch us since the email had stated clearly that free transport is only available with 2 days in advance. The minsu is very clean and homely. Rachel greeted us at the front desk and showed us the room. I would think we need to adjust our expectation on a minsu and hotel. We should not expect hotel kind of service on a minsu, minsu means people house, you stayed there is to experience different kind of stay than hotel. I would suggest people to stay in hotel and not minsu if they are expecting hotel quality of service. Indeed, the sewage system in Taiwan is not good, you can see signs telling you not to throw the papers into toilet bowl when you use the public toilet. I don't think the house rules given by Sunrise are unreasonable, or else how Sunrise maintain their cleanliness. I not surprised that no towel is given as there're a few tripadvisor reviews commented that so i brought my own towel. The staircase is pretty high so it will be tedious for some who carried large luggage. The room is definitely very clean and you can see the owner's effort to decorate the room. The room didn't have a good soundproof so you can hear traffic noise and people walking on the room at upper floor. The minsu is 15min walk to Zhiqiang night market, the food is pretty nice and the barbeque meat is worth the wait. Even though, the minsu is not accessible to city, it is not a problem for us as we had done most of our shopping during our Taroko gorge tour. The minsu location is near to train station, about 10min drive. Our train is 6.30am to Taipei, we booked the taxi to send us to train station and within 5min the taxi arrived which only cost NT$100. Overall, the experience staying in Sunrise is very pleasant and me and my fiancé greatly enjoyed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Sunrise hostel is a pretty and cosy hostel. Room is clean and the owners are very helpful and friendly. Hualien does not have a very extensive transport network so self drive is highly recommended. The water pressure in the bathroom is low and the tap is not working well. The hostel also doesn't provide bath towel, they only provide small towel which is too small for shower

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Hualien Sunrise Hostel? Share your experiences!