“Very nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Amigos Hostel
No.68 Guolian Second Road, Hualian, Hualien 970, Taiwan   |
Ranked #21 of 85 Specialty lodging in Hualien
Saint Lo, 50
“Very nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Well situated (5-10 min walk from the train station, 5-10 min walk from a great great great dumpling place), nice staff, good real coffee, clean and comfy bed and showers! the atmosphere down there is nice, it feels good hanging around there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Nice location near the train station, nice hostel, modern dorms, clean, good atmosphere. Friendly staff who gave me help to plan a trip to Taroko national park and a suggestion about renting a scooter. I stayed there just 1 night but it was a pleasant staying. Going to hualien was worth, I had a nice trip there

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hsinchu, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My friends and I stayed 2 nights in this hostel during Chinese New Year. The location is great; about 5 minute walk from the Hualien train station. It's not in the busiest part of town which was nice for a quieter night's sleep. The hostel itself has a very laid-back surfer feel to it. Nice reception and lounge area that serves snacks and drinks. Small but tasty sandwiches and tea and coffee are included for breakfast every morning.
The rooms are basic backpacker style bunk rooms but not too small, which tends to be a common theme in Taiwan. The beds were surprisingly comfy and the rooms and bathrooms kept very clean. The only worry that I may have was that I didn't see any aircon units in the room, which wasn't a problem for us since it was cooler weather, but could be a bummer in the hot summers.
The best part of this hostel was the staff. I'm sad I don't remember names but everyone including the lady at reception and the nice guy who would recommend places to eat and gladly answer any questions about Hualien or the surrounding areas. They speak excellent English. These people made our stay worth it and I hope they will still be here next time I visit! I'll be back to Amigos!
Hualien is awesome!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hostel is worth a stay! We didn't have any complaints the whole time we were there. Stayed for 4 nights in the 8 bed dorm, which was kept really clean. Soft mattresses and really good bedding and pillows. The shared showers and toilets are clean and the water pressure is so good!
They provide a free breakfast sandwich and free tea and coffee all day!
The staff all seem really friendly, the common area is small but nice to sit in and talk to people.
My only issue is that I would have liked a bigger locker and maybe a lock on the dorm door. None of the dorm doors have key card entry or anything so maybe anyone could walk in, however at no point did I feel unsafe and I don't think they would have let anyone just walk into the hostel.
Location is near to the train station, shops and a good cheap Chinese cafeteria.
Perhaps it is a little expensive but it seems to be roughly the same price all around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My stay at Amigo's was fantastic. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station and the customer service is the best. I stayed here for 4 days and I forgot to pack my towel. Instead of having to go out and buy a new one, the staff was more than willing to lend me one of theirs. Also, if you want to go biking in Hualian or rent a scooter to visit Taroko Gorge, they can set you all up. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Delray Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

As we approached this hostel we saw the Hostelling International member sign, so we pulled our cards to get our discount, the owner told us "sorry we are not members anymore, but I like the sign". If they are not members they need to take the sign down or honor the discount. Personally, I think they need to put the sign down, because the hostel is not up to H.I. standards.
The 8-dorm rooms were ok, but I climbed to the top bunk and almost didn't make it because the bunk rail was loose. The matress was thin as previously stated, but not a big deal for me.
The Aircon was only turned on late at night, turned off early in the morning and wasn't set at a comfortable temperature. That really bothered me; I can not sleep if I'm sweating. The second night I asked the night employee to lower the temperature and thankfully he did.
The restrooms were old and in bad shape, a lot of broken tile and just plain dirty. No hangers for clothes.
The common area had WIFI, but was open to the street and didn't have aircon. Taiwan was really hot while we were there, The rooms were hot and the common area too...why do they advertise aircon??? I don't know, we ended up going to a coffee shop with aircon and spent the afternoon there using the WIFI.
The breakfast was one small sandwich, and coffee or tea. I liked it, and it was included.
The owner was a nice lady and she booked a tour for us the next day even though we arrived late. They close the reception at 10pm, so let them know if you are arriving late.
We have stayed in many backpacker hostels during our 6 months trip, but this place is overpriced for what they offer. They need to lower the price or improve facilities and amenities.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I don't usually stay in hostels or other dorm-based accommodation, but I booked a couple of beds at Amigos in the hope of saving a little money and perhaps meeting some interesting people. So, first and foremost, you should bear in mind this review is coloured by my lack of experience with shared accommodation.

We arrived there at around 8:00pm and were greeted by the very friendly lady at reception. The best part of our stay were definitely the hosts - very friendly and accommodating. After dumping the bags in the dorm, she gave us a rundown of the local area and where would be best to grab a quick bite.

The reception area was big enough, there is free-flow coffee/tea/water, and there is a single public PC available for use. There is also decent WiFi available throughout the hostel. In the reception area, which you have access to from within the building 24/7, there is a shared power strip available for you to charge your gadgetry.

So far, so good.

However, I had a very uncomfortable stay there for these reasons:

1) The mattress is very thin (1½ inches), so the bed was quite hard.

2) The aircon was not turned on and the remote for it was nowhere to be found. The windows were wide open, but there are no insect screens so I became a human feeding ground for mosquitoes. I had at least five welts on me the next day. Even if the aircon was on, the blankets they give you are basically glorified bedsheets and probably wouldn't have done a very good job of keeping you warm. The dorm we were in overlooks a busy street, and at approx 5 in the morning, the locals were up and making a lot of noise on the street (noisy cars, people loading and unloading things from vehicles, long and loud conversations).

3) The showers were very manky. Maybe I am spoilt, but there was muck in the crevices, the paint was peeling off the walls, fittings were falling off and the floors felt very dirty. They supply shampoo and liquid soap, but do so in old dirty bottles that had obviously been refilled tens of times rather than using dispensers. The toilets, however, aren't too bad and are clean. There aren’t many of them and they have no ventilation though, so when the hostel is full, expect a lot of queuing and shared smells.

4) There was nowhere appropriate to hang clothes or store things. Also, the entire dorm only had two power points, so it's a case of first-come-first-serve. When we got there, both points had already been taken up, and even though they provide a shared power strip downstairs, the last thing you want to do is leave a valuable mobile phone in a very public area while you sleep.

I slept for all of two hours that night due to the discomfort, and vowed I would move somewhere else the next day.

We booked for two nights, but there was no need to prebook. The hostel can sleep 34 people, but during our stay there were only six (including us), and they housed us all in the top-floor 10-person dorm. We only paid for one night though, so we packed up and left the next day. We found another place in town that felt like the Four Seasons in comparison to Amigos, and I slept extremely well and comfortably that night.

Here's the kicker though: we paid TWD450 each for that one night in Amigos (with a small breakfast sandwich included), so TWD900 in total. The rate for a double-room at the other place we stayed at was TWD999, and this was without breakfast but was at a level of comfort and cleanliness that was a universe higher than what we had at Amigos. You do the math.

All in all, I would not stay there again. However, I am not a hostelling-type, so maybe all of this is "normal" for dorm-based accommodation. This is just my experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Amigos Hostel? Share your experiences!