“Great option for midrange and backpackers!” 5 of 5 stars

You added New Life Spring Resort to your Saves list
New Life Spring Resort
No.41-5 Spring (An-Tong), Yuli Downtown,, Hualien 98147, Taiwan   |
Ranked #45 of 116 Hotels in Hualien
“Great option for midrange and backpackers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were looking for a budget option to experience the Antung Hotsprings and we found the best deal in the area. Not only does New life Resort offer high end luxury rooms with private baths but it also has an Hostel International part of their resort that offers dorm beds for 800 NT. Although this is high for a normal hostel bed, this deal includes amazing buffet breakfast, and unlimited usage of the public or private hotspring baths. They even had a double bed for couples in the spacious dorm room. Surprisingly the dorm had lots of storage and lockers and even curtains to get your own private space. We used one of the private baths and experienced a luxurious hotspring bath. I highly recommend this hotel as the value is great and the owners treat all guests equally.

Room Tip: Couples on a budget shoudl definately look into the double bed loft in the hostel dorm.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hsinchu, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

we stayed here one night and enjoyed the mineral bath. there are small cold & hot pools in our room, we like it very much. room rate included breakfast. there is no restaurant or store around and you can pay > 300 NTD/pp for dinner. food is clean. good facility but maintenance is not very well. therefore, the hotel doesn't not looks as good as photo on website. in general, this hotel is not bad but we think it's clearly overpriced.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cupertino, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our drive south to Taidong. I enjoyed the hot mineral bath. I shared the bath with two men from Northern Ireland and enjoyed my conversation with them. The owners are cheerful and friendly. The breakfast was good. I didn't care for the dinner, but the vegetables served came right out of the hotel's own garden. Close by the hotel, there are at least two sites worth visiting. There is the Walami Trail. This I really loved. Spectacular views available from the trail and lots of flowers to see. Then there are the daylily fields (Liu shi dan shan). The hotel owners can direct you. Though we encountered mosquitoes outside the hotel (no surprise in Taiwan), we were amazed and pleased to discover NO mosqitoes — not one — in our room. Wow! The owners claim that this is due to the fact that they have planted New Zealand tea trees all around the building. Down in the lobby, they sell a lotion and other products made from their tea trees. We enjoyed our stay so much that we stopped again on our way back to Hualien. This time, I had the mineral bath all to myself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We've stayed in minsus, boutique hotels, and 5 star hotels during our visit to Taiwan. So far, New Life Spring was the most disappointing one. It was really quite different from the pictures online mainly because it has aged.

The owners are nice people and the dinner we had was really delicious home cooking (do try the "salad". It was really really tasty). But the rooms left much to be desired. Our mattress was beyond hard, I literally bounced off it. The toilet smelled faintly of urine. The privated hotspring tub could have been made a lot cozier. The lightbulbs were crazy bright and there was only 1 light for the whole bedroom.

It pains to leave a negative review. But I really thought this was gonna be much nicer than it was. It's really a hostel more than a resort. So if you come in with the right expectation, perhaps you would enjoy it more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

When we came to the hotel in the middle of the day we thought the hotel was shut down because there was no one to see. But inside a very friendly and funny man met us and showed us around. The guests were all outdoors to explore the nature.
We chose a room with our own hot spring. The room was spacy and clean. The bathroom was a little small and the toilet flooded when used at the same time as the shower. The shower was in the same room as the hot spring, and was a little shabby.
The hot spring tub was delicious and we spent many ours there. Anyway I think they could have made some effort to make the hot spring room a little more cozy.
The price included breakfast and dinner. Very good dinner where we chose and "boiled" our own fresh vegetables. We came too late for breakfast, but of course they fixed some bread and fruit for us before we left.
The wifi didn't work in our room, but we used it in the breakfast area.

Room Tip: If you want access to wifi in your room, make sure to ask for it in advance, as it don't work in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Excellent. High up the mountain and in the middle of the forest making for an excellent view.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: You are going to want your own car if you stay here. We drove taking our time from Kenting which took about 5 hours (with several stops along the way).

TYPE OF ROOM: VIP suite with living room

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed is very soft and comfortable with very soft linens and excellent down pillows.

LIGHTING: Tons of light in the room, living area, and good lighting in the bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Shower pressure is weak and water was slightly hotter than warm. Perhaps this is because I took a bath in the natural spring (in our room) before I used the shower. Hot spring bath is more basic than luxurious but still a really nice addition to the room.

TOILETRIES: Nothing special, probably best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: There were a few bugs in the hot springs bathtub. Handle on sink is corroded. Glass tea kettle is a bit stained with tea and the cups were not looking entirely clean. However the rest of the room is exceptionally clean and charming.

A/C: Made our room cool, just took a while and there was a loud clicking sound from the a/c unit that disturbed my sleep a little bit (and it didn’t last too long)

CLOSET SPACE: I don’t recall there being a closet in this room, but not sure.

STYLE OF ROOM: The room looks like a cabin with cedar walls and ceiling. Hardwood floors. Semi-luxurious cabin style. View from our corner upstairs room is excellent.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Room is very quiet but the curtains do not block the early sun light.

FOOD: Breakfast is included but we slept in and missed it.

TV/INTERNET: Only a few TV channels with none in English. Wireless internet is available only in some of the rooms (we switched rooms to get access to wifi). Internet is very fast. 8 Channels on TV with none in English. First room TV was looking a bit old and second was newer (both on the small side) but nothing special

SERVICE: Staff is very pleasant and speaks limited English.

SUMMARY: I absolutely recommend this hotel if you have a car. I would try to plan the trip down the east coast to stay here since it a very memorable spot and the hot springs in the room was excellent. The hotel is nestled within the woods and is definitely one of my favorite places I have stayed in Taiwan so far.

• Liked — Hot spring bath in room and charming decor
  • Disliked — Bathroom and shower could be nicer
  • Stayed May 2008