“Disappointing way to end our Sri Lanka holiday” 3 of 5 stars

Jetwing Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ethukala, Negombo, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Negombo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Disappointing way to end our Sri Lanka holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our last night in Sri Lanka. To be fair we didn't know anything about the hotel but after a long day of travel from Hatton we were keen to get out of our non aircon taxi (not what we paid for but thats another story) and relax on our last night. We didn't pre-book just walked in and inquired whether there were was a room available and what the cost would be. This was the 4th hotel we'd asked this question of and I think we were both a bit over it and just happy to know that we could get a room in a decent looking hotel.

The check in process was efficient but we were asked to pay up front which I thought was a bit strange considering we were likely to add to the bill with drinks and food. However, I agreed and handed over our credit card.

The hotel facilities are in line the star rating given.....great location right on the beach, fantastic pool area and well equiped gym. The room also was of high standard.....clean, modern and spacious.There were a few mosquitoes in the room which made it difficult to sleep but this is common of most nights in Sri Lanka so not isolated to this hotel.

The main issue with our stay being disappointing was the service. The process in ordering room service eg having our call answered, took over an hour and some of the food the was served was not edible. Definitely do not order the lamb or vegetable biryani!! The lamb dish consisted of massive lumps of fat (no meat) and the vegetable dish was rice only and no vegetables. We kept the food to show the resturant manager as we were not prepared to pay for either dish, although had no issue paying for the dish we did eat - tandori chicken. However, after much haggling only the lamb meal was removed from our bill. Obviously it is not a priority of this hotel to keep it's customers happy :-(

Then on the morning of our check out a staff member knocked on our door (even though the do not disturb sign was on) and asked to check our mini bar. 20 minutes later he was still adding up the bill and then used the phone in our room to call reception to advise of the total. He had the phone on speaker while he did this. Why the phone in our room was used I'm not sure. Then about 5 minutes after this another staff member knocked on the door to check the mini bar. I advised that this had just been done but he said that he needed to re-check. This took him about 10mins and then again the phone in our room was used to report the bill to reception. I made it clear that we didn't appreciate our privacy being distrurbed or our phone being used. Why it took so long to add up our bill is also a mystery considering we consumed 6 items only.

The next issue re poor service was at check out where on checking the bill we noticed that we had been charged for the room rate again (even though this had been paid up front). We had also been charged for local calls which we never made. On pointing this issues out the reception staff member did remove the charges but I guess this is just a word of warning to future guests....PLEASE check your bill carefully.

For the price we paid a higher level of service was expected and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Hove, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We chose to stay in this hotel for the last night of our holiday so that we were convenient for the airport the next day. We weren't disappointed and would have been quite happy to stay there several more days. Rooms were sparse, but very well appointed and equiped. Lovely bathroom with bath and walk in shower. Balcony wall could have done with being a bit lower as the view was limted when you sat down. Good pool and sunbed area. Our only meal was breakfast (best of the holiday) as we chose to eat out in the evening - it was nice to be able to wander out into the street behind the hotel and have a massive choice of restaurants within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Beach, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences at Jetwing Beach, Negombo Sri Lanka, on Trip Advisor

We were truly delighted to read your review and to learn that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and felt comfortable and welcomed.

We were pleased to note that you found the room we had allocated for you well appointed and that you enjoyed the breakfast experience.

Your comments are very much appreciated and will be shared with the entire of the hotel.

Once again thank you for staying with us and for your comments and please do not hesitate to contact me if I could be of any assistance.

bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Nice hotel with good staff who offered an excellent service. Food very good as was the location of the hotel. Worth staying here for a few nights after arriving in the country or just before you leave as close to the airport. Black Coral restaurant on the premises is worth visiting for a meal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Beach, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to post your fabulous review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Jetwing Beach in Negombo Sri Lanka.

We were delighted to read that you had enjoyed the location of the hotel, the service of our associates and the food at Black Coral restaurant.

I have shared your comments with the entire team at the hotel and they were as delighted as I was to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

We trust you had a smooth onward journey and once again thank you for staying with us and for your compliments. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had booked a 10 day break because we felt deprived of sunshine after the UK's non-summer! It appears that most people only visit this hotel for 1 or 2 nights en route somewhere else. As it was we enjoyed every aspect of the the hotel: it was extremely comfortable, the food was excellent and the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Our only disappointment was that this part of the Sri Lankan coast is generally unsuitable for swimming and it seemed a pity to go all that way and not to get to swim in the Indian Ocean. Consequently we tooked 36hrs off mid-trip and went South to Unawatuna, near Galle, in order to take advantage of swimming in the sea!

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms faced the beach so not really an issue.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Beach, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to read your review and to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing Jetwing Beach for your holiday and for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

It is correct that the sea activities are restricted during the monsoon season and depending on weather patterns, but I can assure you that water sports activities are very popular in the stretch of beach along Negombo.

We have shared your gracious comments with our entire team and this will go a long way in motivating all of them in their duties.

Once again thank you for staying with us and for your comments and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Pulborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The reception area looks dreary and this is not helped by the darkish staff uniforms. However all the staff were charming and helpfull, and obviously well trained. Wehad booked a suite, but this is unnecessary as the standard de-luxe rooms were large with kingsized comfortable bed, and bathroom equipped with tub and separate shower unit. For us the downside was the food.We tried the fine dining restaurant and experienced the slowest service that we have had anywhere in the world. Sadly the food was not worth the wait. Obviously the kitchen could not cope.We complained and to the credit of the hotel two levels of management came to talk to us.I hope that future reviewers will report a change for the better.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your recent stay ay Jetwing Beach on Trip Advisor.

We were truly delighted to read from your review that you were comfortable with your stay and were particularly pleased with the service of our professional associates. W greatly appreciate your compliments and have shared with the entire team accordingly.
We sincerely apologize for the level of service and the quality of the food you have experienced at our fine dining restaurant. Although we usually have praise about this particular restaurant, your constructive feedback is taken very positively and I we have personally taken this up with the F&B manager and the Executive Chef and rest assured that we are addressing the issues very seriously.
Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Sri Lanka. To that effect, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My greatest disappointment was only having one night and one meal at this hotel on a recent trip to Sri Lanka. I arrived in the evening, jetlagged from 30+ hours of travel. In the morning I walked along the beach, watching the fishermen off shore. The surf was too rough for a swim, and so I returned to take advantage of the pools at the hotel. I got distracted by colleagues and sat to have a long. leisurely and scrumptous breakfast. The selection at the breakfast buffet was phenomenal and the staff even provided us with a supply of our own mangosteins (sp). Later, I did laps in the long, salt- water pool-- the best pool ever! The room was large and comfortable. It was a wonderful experience. I hope to returnn next year, with more time to take it all in.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Beach, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing Beach Negombo in Sri Lanka and for posting a fabulous review on Trip Advisor. Nothing would make us happier than to have you return as our guest.

It is always a pleasure to read such fantastic reviews and we were most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service of our associates.

We hope that you will never forget your wonderful experience at Jetwing Beach and be able to share it with your friends.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we all are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Sri Lanka. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My rating of this hotel is based on where I was located. For Sri Lanka, this is a great beachside hotel. The room was clean and the glass bathroom was neat. Had some trouble turning on the TV. Outside of your room, it is a little hit or miss. The hallways and entryway are really bare, so don't expect anything spectacular. The pool and lounge area near the pool is a nice place to relax. As far as actually going on the beach, don't expect Hawaii. It was nice to have the option, but it was not the cleanest of beaches I've been to.

READ THIS --> I only gave this hotel 3 stars, however, because one of my female co workers had a room on the first floor. At night she had a stranger looking into her room, and when confronted, he hid behind a tree, still clearly visible, and pretended not to be there. When security finally showed up, they just seemed to shrug it off. Be warned.

Room Tip: Do not get a first floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Jetwing Beach in Negombo Sri Lanka.

We were delighted to learn that you were pleased with the location and the room we had allocated for you. We have noted your comment in relation to turning on the TV and we are working on rectifying this issue.

We are sincerely sorry and very concerned to learn of the incident which you have mentioned. We thank you for brining this to our attention as it will greatly help us in assessing our present security measures with the aim to address your concern.

Again thank you for letting us know and I can assure you we are taking all the necessary measures to avoid similar situation to happen again.
Once again thank you for staying with us and for your constructive comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Hyacinth Gunawardena

Been to Jetwing Beach? Share your experiences!