“A so-so place!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sri Lankan
New York City, New York
“A so-so place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Read the reviews and decided to give this place a go...

What bugged me, was that when our food arrived, there were small stones in the rice... Honestly its not a pleasant feel to be chewing those in your rice... Sure once in a while there's that few sand/stones that will slip the rice cleaning and find its way onto our serving plates; but I did not expect to be paying for them here at sure a nice restaurant..

All in all, my experience at the sun house was only so-so: the place did not live up to my expectations; the overall ambiance is well-suited for a cosy catchup with some friends over a couple of glasses as its very much affordable ( Mojito is good ).. However I don't think I'll be returning back here, will try to explore other restaurants available in in Galle

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“culinary gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Dinner for 4 and a half (being my 2 year old daughter) was reserved and as we entered the sheltered courtyard, we were transported back in time - whitewashed walls, a library, a large courtyard and the requisite colonial era charm and ambience.

The service was exemplary, in spite of there being a couple other tables occupied. It is a rather small outdoor area but beautifully terraced landscape leading down to what was an inviting pool (given the humid night).

The menu is truncated and included only two options for main course. I ordered the Mahi Mahi but the rest of my group requested the chef to prepare a Sri Lankan chicken curry. My daughter ate a pasta (well part of the bowl as my wife devoured the rest) - the claim was made that it was the best made pasta she had had during our fortnight trip............this bode well for the adult meals which were yet to arrive.

Drinks were very good, and the wine list rather more robustly populated than the spartan grape offerings of other restaurants in the area. We enjoyed an Italian red, although it could have used some time to breathe - the idea of a wine decanter was lost on the staff so we forged on in keeping with the cheery spirit of the night.

The food when it arrived was extremely well prepared with due care given to the produce and its preparation. My mahi mahi was perfectly cooked, while the others declared the chicken curry to be a heady concoction of spices and chicken that tantalised the taste buds - also a winner.

The prices are set per person and slightly higher than other restaurants in the area but no quibbles given the overall experience.

We enjoyed the ambience more than dessert and were content to sit out on the patio cooled by the occasional zephyr. This place definitely got points for romantic venue - although the wailing of my daughter might have detracted from that slightly ;)

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Epicurian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Probably the best in town
having tried other this is the place to dine whether it is lunch or dinner

Visited July 2013
Hong Kong, China
“A small peace of heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

If you read your Lonely Planet it will tell you that Sun House and Dick's Bar are expat favourites and great places to be. When we went we were the only ones to be there and treated as long lost friends.

We had drinks on the terrace, watched the monkeys in the trees and enjoyed the wonderful ambience. This is an old planter's House and it has kept that feel. The rooms are good, the staff are very welcoming and the atmosphere excellent - even though we were the only ones there we made a point of deciding we were coming back.

Visited June 2013
Bowral, Australia
“Have a drink at Dicks bar then enjoy a lovely dinner on the terrace.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My daughter and I had perfect g&t at dicks bar followed by a delicious meal on the terrace.
The food was fresh and prepared beautifully. We enjoyed every minute of our evening at Sun House. I'd love to go back and stay at sun house and try the meals served during the day.

• Visited May 2013