“Good food let down by poor management” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue, Hamburgers, Mediterranean, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good food let down by poor management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We came here as party of 6 adults and 5 kids for dinner. The interior is quite unusual and prettily lit which augered well for our meal, but as soon as we sat down everyone started to feel very hot and sweaty and we realised that there was only one ropy old fan serving the whole restaurant. They did eventually find another fan for us but this didn't provide any appreciable improvement. Then to the food - unfortunately the calamari was not available and only two servings of the tuna left. We ordered the tuna tartare as a starter but the waiter told us the chef didn't think the quality of the tuna was good enough to serve raw (which rather put us off ordering the two remaining main course tuna steaks!). Fish of the day was (a rather grey looking) red mullet. We were told there were only 5 of these left so we ordered all 5. Then they came back and told us 2 had already gone to another table! The 3 red/grey mullets we did get were actually very well cooked (baked in foil with vegetables) and delicious, as we're the steaks and burgers, although those who chose the pulled pork sandwiches did not enjoy them.

I appreciate we were a large party but we had booked in advance so there really was no excuse for so many items being unavailable or in short supply.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Food was just OK and at a price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Looks impressive, the menu is hard to read (literally), and the food of mixed quality - fish was very good; other dishes were mediocre. Service was well intended. At the top end of the price range but the quality of the food did not warrant this.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, excellent service and ambience in Galle Fort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

One of the best meals we had in Sri Lanka. For starters we went for the gazpacho, calamari rings and hummus. Everything perfect. For the main we chose the sharing platter which serves 4 more than enough. Jumbo prawns really good, tasty pork and chicken, and beef was ok. Service was excellent and waiters were really nice, and the restaurant is beautifully decorated.

A must when passing by Galle

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Mushy mushy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The circumstances surrounding my review of this place make it a little different from the norm.

It was Valentine's day. Back home, the missus and I like to seek refuge from this chain letter of a holiday by staying in. It would have been nice to have had this option.

But we were in the UNESCO-sanctioned atmosphere of Galle Fort, where restaurant after restaurant told us they were fully booked. Tired and hungry, our small group of 4 finally came upon The Fort Grill and they gave us the last table available for the night - the outdoor patio seating in the courtyard. We were grateful. (Even more that it wasn't raining.)

The prices are what you would pay in the west, but we chalked it up to a similar night out back home at the pub. The interior does have that tropical shophouse romance and comes to life at night with well placed lighting.

We had burgers and pulled pork - all with corn fritters (yum). Numerous comments on TA did not like the burger, but we actually quite enjoyed it. My wife and another friend had the burger. Our friend normally doesn't like burgers but enjoyed this one. My wife liked it as well. And I had some of my wife's burger and wish I had gotten it too. Perhaps there are vastly different expectations when it comes to burgers. This one was more of the mushy-tender kind than the chargrilled burnt edges kind.

With news back home of horse meat getting into beef mince, I could not help but wonder where the meat for the burger came from. I recalled from our travels that I thought Sri Lanka had some very healthy looking cows for a tropical country - reasonably plump, grass to eat, space to roam, perhaps even happy. I wonder if I ate one of them?

Who knows, you want more certainty, get the steak. I liked the burger and I'd get it again. And remember to plan vacations away from Valentine's day.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Wow I fabulous restaurent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

What a nice restaurant it is. We had nice meal , very good service and wow place, it is nice and friendly staff

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere