“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Galle
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wonderful hotel with really good rooms, attentive staff and fab location. Recommend that you walk along the beach in the early evening listening to the waves and looking for shells, very romantic.

Food great mix of local and international, with a great view from the dining room of the waves crashing against the rocks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent comments on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you had a fabulous stay at Jetwing Lighthouse.

Along with the associates that go out of their way to please a guest, to the amazingly designed property, it is the amazing sound of the waves crashing that always seem to keep a guest relaxed and at peace. We are the happiest that if all of our guests can come and enjoy this unique property in the South and take a bit of it back home with them along with the beautiful island of Sri Lanka.

We hope to see you back at Jetwing Lighthouse in the future, and the entire team will be looking forward to welcoming you back.

Robert Claesson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the lighthouse on the 9th of October and the experience was not good from the initial booking. I sent them an email from Australia asking about check in time and no reply at all. All my other nights were booked with Heritance hotels and some other boutique hotels who all replied within 24 hours. So this was pretty disappointing. Then when I was going to Galle on the 9th I rang the hotel again to double check the booking and to tell them that we will check in about 3pm for dinner(I had booked full board basis) and the person confirmed the booking and said that we can't check in for dinner, we have to check in for lunch. Every other hotel I stayed at(and replied to emails) told me that I can check in for lunch or dinner. So then I went to the hotel about 1pm since I couldn't check in for dinner and didn't want to miss out on a meal I already paid for. Well, during the check in the lady asks me 'do you want to check in for lunch or dinner?' Unbelievable. I was going to walk around the fort and grab something to eat from there and check in for the afternoon and because they had an incompetent employee working the phones, my plans were ruined. I told the lady we rang up before and the person that answered the phone said that we have to check in for lunch. She just looked at me with a blank face. I didn't want to make a scene as it was not her fault and I work in customer service my self and mistakes happen. So then I went to the room freshened up and came down for lunch. Lunch was the most pathetic I have seen at any 4-5 star hotel. I had to keep asking for water constantly as staff were nowhere to be seen even though there were only 3 tables occupied. It was all curries. probably about 6-7 different ones. Thats it. Too bad if you don't eat curries. Even these were not replenished at the buffet and I had to ask twice(and I heard another guest complain as well) for them to come in and fill it up. I don't know what the restaurant manager was doing. He was just standing in front of a computer screen doing nothing and there were only 3 tables occupied. He wasn't checking the food or anything, just standing around. So it wasn't like it was busy. I had just come here from a weeks stay at Heritance Kandalama and I was starting to regret booking this place by now. Dinner was OK. Once again nothing special. Better then lunch though. Breakfast next morning was OK as well. But every service, I had to keep asking for water, which is unheard of at a 4-5 star hotel. At dinner, we sat down and they didn't even take notice of us and I had to get up and go ask the waiter to fill our glasses. I felt that because me and my father were locals, they didn't really care about us as they kept checking up on the few caucasians that were in there without even looking at us. A young lady in a saree during the dinner service was doing this blatantly which I got pretty annoyed at as I paid full price through their website to stay here. I'm not a friend/relative of the owner who's on a freebi. The biggest problem with the staff at the dinning room is the computer. They congregate around it and pays no attention to the guests. The price you pay for this hotel is definitely not worth it. I must say, two good things about the hotel was the large pool and the beds. Really comfy beds. This hotel is definitely not a 4-5 star. It's a 3 star AT BEST. Won't be staying here again. Well maybe if I check in with some of my caucasian friends il have a different experience. Sad, very sad Jetwing. I was planning to spend 2 days at Vil Uyana 2 weeks later as I heard it was a nice hotel when I arrived in Sri Lanka but my short stay at Lighthouse put me off and I never ended up booking. If you want to reply to this, please feel free to. My email is Sanu@live.com.au

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Jetwing Lighthouse during your visit to Galle, Sri Lanka recently. I appreciate your feedback and review on Trip Advisor as this is one of the main ways we gather feedback from guests all over the world and if there are issues we can go about taking corrective action. I am disappointed to hear about your stay with us, and I have taken your comments very seriously.

Firstly I want to address the problem you faced over the phone call to the property, and I would like to confirm to you that we let our guests check in for whatever meal they prefer, regardless of their meal plan or how long they are staying with us at Jetwing Lighthouse. This is the first time we have had a complaint of this nature and I have informed all necessary managers to look in to it and an inquiry is underway to find out what exactly happened, but for now I would like to apologize for what you had to go through. I have also taken note of your complaints about the service in the restaurant and let me assure you that all our associates are trained to provide service of the highest quality to all our guests regardless of which part of the world they are from. I assure you that I have made an inquiry in to this matter as well and will be following it up till I get a solution that satisfies me. I also do not want any of our guests facing a problem of this nature in the future and will make sure we find a permanent solution for this problem you speak of. The computer in the restaurant is essential for the smooth running of the operations at the restaurant but congregating around it is not ideal in proving the high standard of service we expect all our guests receive.

I am glad you chose to write a review and we will work hard on correcting or altering methods to better suit our guests and their demands. I assure you that no guest in the future will go through any of these problems as I too do believe that it needs to be changed. Please do come back to Jetwing Lighthouse when you are back in this region of the world, and I assure you that you will be able to experience the real Jetwing Lighthouse hospitality.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have visited the Light house hotel 2008 and 2009 and in 2011 Chrtstmas. This is a great place located in the southern coastal belt in Sri Lanka. The hotel has a great envoirenemt to relax. Friendly staff and great food. You can enjoy the beach very much. Now you can reach the hotel in 1 hours time from Colombo when you go through the highway. You can visit the Galle Fort and Turtle hatchery and visit Sinharaja forest . Even you can watch Whales and Dolphines

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

At Jetwing Lighthouse our main focus is our guests and we do everything possible to make their stay as comfortable as we can. It is the best compliment for us, when we receive positive feedback form our guests. Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

Apart from the Galle Fort, there are plenty of excursions and tours you can keep yourself occupied with in Galle. The rain forests tours, whale watchers, beach walks, and also that the special boat safaris organized by our resident Naturalist. It is glad to see that you keep coming back to Jetwing Lighthouse and I also take this opportunity to invite you back to the property when you travel to Galle.

Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

we spent 4 days here at the end of october,what a great location close to Galle yet on the beach . the quality of this hotel is excellent ,the staff were just great,nothing was ever a problem always there to help,the room was on the top floor offering magnificent views,and comfort to match.Then there is the food, we arrived on bar-b-que night,what a choice and we ate outside,could it get any better! It did,we were amazed.We will go back .
Just a comment the trainees did not have name badges ?

Room Tip: top floor with a picture window for the view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your choosing Jetwing Lighthouse. We are glad you were able to enjoy the absolutely unique experience at this one of a kind property. I will be passing your comments on to the management as feedback whether it is positive or negative is extremely important for the development of our team.

We hope to see you back again at Jetwing Lighthouse soon and thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Away from the hustle and bustle, this is a beautiful hotel where one can easily flow with the rhythm of waves and comfort of the luxurious rooms or even at the spa. We had a magnificent sea view at the top floor, had great food in the morning and evenings at the restaurant overlooking the rocks with excellent staff service (front desk, house keeping, guest relations and restaurant). Will certain stay here again for at least two days or more in future (factoring 2 hours ride from the international airport via the super highway; one-way)!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad you chose to stay at Jetwing Lighthouse during your recent visit to Galle, Sri Lanka. I am glad you have taken the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. As the General Manager I am always pleased to get positive feedback from all our guests. We are happy that you were able to enjoy the Jetwing Lighthouse experience. The stunning views, the sound of the crashing waves that seem to follow you everywhere is truly a part of the Jetwing Lighthouse experience. The associates who work make a huge difference at the end of the day no matter how good the facilities are, and I am glad to hear that the entire team here was able to please you and exceed your expectations.

I would like to welcome you back to Jetwing Lighthouse when you visit Galle, Sri Lanka. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent two weeks at the Lighthouse in July and August. It is a wonderful hotel, especially for a family like ours that loves swimming. The 30 meter pool is fabulous, the rooms ideally designed for a hot, tropical climate, the location stunning, the food delicious and the staff unfailingly obliging, without being obsequious. Our eight year old played all day in the pools, while my wife and our two teenage daughters swam and read novels by the ocean, when they weren't in the gym or the spa. We'd been apprehensive about the weather during the monsoon season, but it didn't rain at all during our stay. We found the strong south-west wind off the sea refreshing and exhilarating in the hot, humid climate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to hear that you had a enjoyable experience at Jetwing Lighthouse.

Jetwing Lighthouse is fully equipped to provide for every guest who walks in to the property. The facilities in the property help a guest relax and enjoy their holiday that much more. The swimming pools, the spa, and the gym are all there for a guest to use along with our range or restaurants and bars. The team in the kitchen understands the value of providing a guest with food of the highest quality and take pride in it. I will pass your compliments on to the relevant associates.

I also want to take this opportunity to welcome you back to Jetwing Lighthouse when your travels bring you to this part of the world.

texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Absolutely a place to visit, with a beautiful view to the sea and magnificent instalation, is just like paradise, the staff is so friendly and helpful.The breackfast it has such of variaty of fruits and delicious foods. All the areas are so well kept and clean. I hope to comback soon....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!