“Food & view !” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Galle
Vancouver, Canada
“Food & view !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Just watch the sunset from the deck + a drink ... Also the food is exceptional !

Room Tip: The upper floor rooms over looking the pool and the sea are good
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed at Jetwing lighthouse for 10 days and were very happy with what they offered. Both the food and atmosphare was great. Always a pleasure to return to the hotel after a day on the beach. We also want to mention the very friendly and helpfull staff. On the last day I hurt myself bodysurfing and was forced to attend the hospital. At that time Mr Robert Claesson (GM) and his collegues Seneka Wee and Eashan Pathirana assisted and helped us in the most generous way, taking care of transportation, translating at the hospital and essentially helped me through the whole thing much faster and easier than if I'd been by myself. All this at no extra charge - a truly 5 star behaviour! It was a reluctent goodbye, but we will definitely come back and visit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure looking after you, especially after the slight bodysurfing mishap so please think nothing of it.

Being a small hotel, we do come to think of many guests as part of the Jetwing Family and if ever someone is injured or sick, nothing else takes priority. We are happy (and quite relieved) that the injuries were minor and we hope by now you have made a full recovery.

Here’s sending you and your family the warmest wishes on behalf of my team, until we see you again.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My 5 year old son and I have just had an overnight stay at the Lighthouse. The location is stunning, however, it's simply not worth the money. We paid just under £200 for the night and I can honestly say I've had a better experience in far cheaper resorts just down the road at Unawatuna. At first glance the room we had looked amazing. However, an adaptor plug in the room was throwing out sparks, the TV reception was appalling and the sofa in the room had very obvious rips on it. The hotel response to the poor TV reception was an offer to change rooms - at 10pm! The service in the restaurant was very slow. We asked for our bill and it still hadn't arrived after 30 minutes so we left and informed the reception desk of what we were doing. While we were at one of the pools we were approached by someone selling pictures etc at the steps to the residential section of the hotel. Then again on Sunday we were approached by someone who was advertising himself as a fortune teller. If I wanted their services I would ask them - I certainly don't want them approaching me when I'm trying to relax by the pool. We went to the beach in the morning and were slightly disconcerted to note two young men hanging around the edge of the hotel grounds bordering the beach just staring at the guests who were at the pool. There was no sign of the security guard who had been there on the Saturday and both were there for over 30 minutes. The majority of the staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly. However, this just isn't enough to make me want to part with my hard earned cash for another stay at this hotel.

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Jetwing Lighthouse. We always try our level best to make your stay with us a truly relaxing and memorable experience. I offer to you my humblest apologies if this was not the case during your time with us.

I am quite disturbed to hear about the adaptor plug sparking and allow me to ensure you that your room has been checked and the problem rectified. We have also checked the matter of TV reception and found that the issue was a temporary problem with the service provider and that too has been corrected. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Jetwing Lighthouse prides itself with working with our local community and we do encourage local artists and vendors to visit the hotel on certain given days of the week. They are extensively screened and checked. Yes, they do make conversation with guests and will promptly leave you alone if you tell them that you wish not to be disturbed. We apologize if this was an inconvenience to you.

Lastly, I am sorry if you were at any time made uneasy while relaxing at our lower level pool. There are no private beaches in Sri Lanka and beyond the borders of the Lighthouse Spa lawn, the general public is allowed to do as they wish. However, Lighthouse security is always present and I can confidently say that we have never had the problem of guests being bothered in any way.

Again, we thank you for your stay with us and only wish we could have done more to make you more comfortable.

Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We have spent 4 nights at the hotel during 22-26 dec 2011 in a room (ground floor) with view on Indian Ocean. Our room was colonial style, not new but with good quality furniture. The food (+ breackfast buffet) was excellent and the hotel changed the menu. There are several very nice romantic tables for 2 with a view on the ocean. The hotel has an in house naturalist and a gym + instructor. Our room boy did an excellent job.
If you do not like to stay on the beach or near the pool, 4 nights is enough to see the area around Galle.

waterloo, ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Our family planned a spur of the moment trip to Galle. We packed up early Sunday morning at around 6am and were highway bound. The drive was super and we all enjoyed exploring the Galle fort - a first time experience for all of us. We had heard raving reviews about the lighthouse, decided to throw in a little lighthouse into the day trip. It was a hot day and the almost 6 hours at the fort was spent sightseeing, chatting to locals, taking pictures the usual tourist drill. we were tired hungry and were ready for some R and R so off to the lighthouse we go. The reception on this sunny day was anything but sunny. No smiles at the reception, the staff were all extremely unfriendly and almost, rude. We go upstairs to a desk where I approach another staff member and inquire about reserving a day room. Again I felt the cold shoulder treatment. 2 in a row, was it just a coincidence? The lady at the desk did her job, she got a us a room but not once did she smile or make us feel welcome.Quite the contrary she made us feel unwelcome and like we were not really wanted. The pool staff were the same, I was just NOT feeling the love. We shrugged it off and made a choice to enjoy the pool and beach.. thankfully you do not need hotel staff to do that. Around 1pm we decided to go have lunch, we had built up a tremendous appetite from sightseeing and the beach.We are family who really enjoy their food.we were so ready at this point to enjoy the lighthouse Sunday culinary spread. At 3000 rupees a person we expected much more. What a huge disapointment! The rice and curry was blah and the rest was even more blah. It was a very ordinary meal that we could have had at our local caterer up the street. The pasta dish which the kids ate mostly because they so so ravenous was not pleasant on the eyes either the presentation was substandard and so was the rest of the food. My husband and I decided to order form the menu but the kids were so hungry at this pint i decided to allow them to dine form the buffet which meant no wait time. the restaurant atmosphere was chaotic, and loud. Just not the kind of atmosphere one would expect with a 5 star. My husband and I took our food and sat outside the restaurant on a patio area which overlooking the beach, this was beautiful and we were able to enjoy our substandard food. I must comment on one waiter in the restaurant who was the one exception. He was very helpful and friendly, when our 7 year old took a a toss he immeditely ran to her assistance a very genuine gesture. but with this one exception the staff across the board were almost rude.
The restaurant had a lady manning the doors, I was watching her as my son asked her where the washrooms were, she did point it out to him but like its that unspoken feeling of resentment. at this point i had figured it out. we were "locals" you know why beat around the bush? why be PC? We were brown skinned. I could clearly see the difference in the treatment of a white skinned tourist. what a shame, we are a family who have done our fair share of travelling, not extensively but enough to experience other countries and cultures- Its very sad when one has to experience this kind of treatment in ones homeland. The room service staff same story. Our room was clean and comfortable. no complaints there. would we ever go there again? no, definitely not. The hotel management need to teach their staff on how to treat all their customers equally no matter what the color or creed. we all pay good money for our hotel experience and deserve equal billing. I have never encountered this type shabby treatment in any of the Colombo hotels most certainly not the 5 star even the lesser stared hotels. JETWING, LH,Tell your staff a smile costs nothing. The locals they resent and treat so shabbily are PAYING customers just like everyone else. Perhaps the lighthouse can learn a few tricks on how to be HOSPITABLE they are after all in the HOSPITALITY trade and that is what they sell to us consumers isn't it?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to again offer my humblest apologies regarding your disappointing experience with us last weekend. Needless to say I am personally very upset by your comments as I myself am a visitor to this beautiful country and I pride myself on treating the residents of this amazing island exactly the same way I treat all my visitors from every corner of the world.

I am however happy that I was able to speak with you personally and I sincerely hope that you would accept my invitation to visit us again and allow us a chance to prove to you that I am indeed honest and sincere when I say that my team here at Jetwing Lighthouse values the patronage of all who walk up our Rotunda, wherever in the world they may be from.

Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We spent 4 very enjoyable nights at the Jetwing Lighthouse at the end of our 10 day Sri Lankan tour. We were ready for a rest and that is exactly what we had.The room was very nice with a large bathroom and a balcony with a great view of the pool and Indian Ocean. The food was good and reasonably priced but we mostly ate a la carte instead of the buffet and we ate lunch elsewhere. The BBQ on the Saturday night was excellent and we enjoyed a cocktail party with the management on the Tuesday evening. We had a bed and breakfast deal and thoroughly enjoyed breakfast each day. The staff at all times were polite, helpful and friendly, especially the man who cleaned our room each day. I would recommend this hotel to my friends but would say it is more four and a half star than five and I feel it is due a bit of a facelift. The pool areas are lovely and the views from all areas of the hotel over the Indian Ocean are stunning. The hotel is also within easy access to Galle Fort and Unawatuna Beach.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor. I am truly touched that our personalized approach to hospitality has left a lasting impression on you.

Having a fraction of the rooms as many larger hotels in the area, allow us to give individual attention to each guest. Couple that with amazing southern hospitality and you are bound to feel as if you were home away from home.

I am happy we got to meet at the cocktail and I do hope you will visit us again after the renovation scheduled this year to find our facilities vibrantly rejuvenated, yet with the same customized care you have come to love.

north west
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Great beach location and very nice rooms overlooking the beach however the service was not what you would expect from this hotel a bit slow and lack of attention to detail

Room Tip: beach view room is a must
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Trip Advisor. We are very happy you were able to appreciate the amazing location of our hotel and the unparalleled architecture of the legend that is Jeffery Bawa.

I am sorry to hear that you encountered problems with the service. We truly value your feedback and make a sincere effort to use all constructive comments to further improve the quality of service we provide our guests. It is for this reason that we would love to hear exactly what aspect you found disappointing. You may contact me directly at robert@jetwinghotels.com.

It was our pleasure having you with us. Please do drop in again soon to experience firsthand that we are sincere in our promise to address and improve upon any recommendations you make.

General Manager.

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!