“Not anywhere near what was expected” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
colombo
“Not anywhere near what was expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I visited Amangalla Hotel for a mid morning cup of tea with 3 friends, two foreigners among them. I thought this was the best place to start off our day trip to Galle where I grew up. The table shown to us on the verandah was full of ants probably attracted to the flowers on the small vase on the table, and when informed the waiter just put the flower vase on another table, without even bothering to wipe off the ants from our table. My guests ordered milkshakes and a lassi while I had a cup of tea.The milkshake and the lassi ordered by the guests were not of good quality. The milkshakes were dilute and watery and the lassi tasted horrible, according to my guest. It was a disappointment from the start. The waiters were smiling and polite, but the drinks and service reflected the inadequate training of the staff and low standards of the hotel. All the reviews I've read here are good ones, so I am not sure whether bad reviews get published or not. But I think it is my duty as a Sri Lankan to warn others who may be mislead by the good reviews.

81% Recommend
london
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Brilliant place for a dinner on the terrace. This place is in a different league to the standard Galle fare. Exceptional food quality, also nice that the menu has the prices showing on an all inclusive basis. A place to go and treat yourself in old world style!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely curry and great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Had a great meal here on my first night in Sri Lanka. This was recommended to us by the hotel staff in the Fortress when asked where I could find a good place for an authentic curry. It was not what I had in mind as I was thinking more along the lines of where local people went to eat, however this is a good example of a colonial hotel with excellent food and wonderful service.

Not the cheapest, but good quality and a great experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Beautiful terrace and indoor sitting area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Loved the afternoon lunch and drinks on the terrace. Food is excellent. Dinner was good but get a table away from the kitchen door to avoid the odor of each dish coming out.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great dinner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We want to try something different from the everyday in Sri Lanka. This hotel/restaurant is an incredible dinning experience! Service is perfect, food was supposed to be good( I don't like curry), and finally a place where you can have good wine in Sri Lanka.
We chosen a £145.00 bottle of wine.
The curry is 3000 rupees (£15.00 pounds per person), well worth if for the experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere