“This is going to be a memory” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 135 Restaurants in Galle
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Owned by Fazal Badurdeen who is a well known story teller about Galle. Serves the "best tea" in town as weel Owned by Fazal Badurdeen who is well known for his stories about Galle Fort. Serves the "best tea in town" as well as lunch and dinner.
“This is going to be a memory”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was volunteering in galle when I came across fazal's cafe. It was a steal away from the usual volunteer day. I'd go to the royal Dutch cafe for a much needed break and some perspective in the way of chatting with Fazal. Over a cup of ginger tea. That was my favorite thing to do. His cinnamon iced coffee is really good on a hot day. My friends and I enjoyed many evenings there chatting to fazal and asking him to tell us stories. This place is quaint, drenched in history, and is so 'home made' that it's comforting. You'd be having tea in a porch that is 300 years old!

Pro tip: if your there at about 5.30 or 6 pm there's a tuk tuk bakery that drives by. Buy a fresh bun. Get some tea.

• Visited June 2014

Halifax, Canada
“Thank you Fazal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I'm so happy I visited this restaurant! The food is great, the atmosphere is delightful, and Fazal is a wonderful host. If you have the time he'll tell you stories about Galle from the old days - he's very proud of his heritage and it's not hard to see why. People like Fazal and places like the Royal Dutch Cafe are the reason why Galle is such a great community.

Thank you Fazal and friends for the moonlight picnic in February 2014 - it was amazing to meet all of you. I wish all of you the best and hope all your picnics are special. :)

Susan and Erin from Nova Scotia, Canada

• Visited February 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Best tea and stories in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This lovely little cafe/restaurant/shop should be top of peoples' lists of places to visit in the Galle Fort. While we didn't eat, the tea is definitely the best in town (and I drink a LOT of tea), and the shop is full of beautifully handmade clothes as well as jewellery and other trinkets. However, the highlight of it all has to be Mr Fazal. A friend and I spent well over two hours chatting with him and listening to his stories - his business card states that he is a storyteller and this is absolutely true! Mr Fazal really does know a lot about a lot, and is wonderful company. I will be sure to visit him every time I am in Galle, and my friend and I are now planning a day trip back to Galle just so we can hear more of his stories and perhaps even try the delicious homemade food he serves. What a great place to let go of your schedule and just be.

• Visited July 2014
New Zealand
“Awesome food at a unique cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'm a meat eater, but these guys vegetarian meals were some of the best I have had in Sri Lanka. The Dahl and potato curry were cheap but divine.

Staff were pretty friendly, and the cafe has lots of things to look at, including photos from the forts past.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A place you MUST visit whilst in Galle.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stumbled across the Royal Dutch Cafe on my first day in Galle and I am SO happy I did as Fazal is the most amazing person you will meet. I could sit and listen to him talk for hours, in-fact, I've made it my mission whilst I'm here for the next two weeks, to visit Fazal as much as I can so I can drink his amazing tea and simply listen and learn from a man who is clearly so humble, genuine and has a heart of gold.