“Excellent for the price, a very pleasant stay” 5 of 5 stars

Frangipani Motel
35 Pedlar Street | Galle Fort, Galle, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #90 of 183 Galle B&B and Inns
France
“Excellent for the price, a very pleasant stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in early January and were very pleasantly surprised with what we got for our money compared to many of the other hotels we had stayed in during our travels.
We called in on the off chance and were shown 3 rooms in the main building which all looked very nice, spacious and clean, each with their own private balconies.
We chose the slightly more expensive room (no.1) on its own at the top of the building which had a sizeable terrace (in the daytime the staff came up to put the washing out on the roof to dry and water the plants but, otherwise, it was private). 7000 LKR a night included air-con and plenty of hot water (the latter was a rarity). There was also a TV and a fridge in the room, and sufficient plug sockets (another rarity). Everything was clean, it was quiet, a good bed, and we found nothing to complain about. There were saloon type swing doors to the bathroom, which some might not like for privacy reasons, but it did not bother us. We slept well, the only slight disturbance was the early morning call to prayer from the mosque, but it was not that bad and I think you will hear it from most places in Galle Fort.
We had some washing done for a very reasonable price. Breakfast was not included, but that was fine for us (no need to get up early!). The location is very central in the fort area with plenty of pleasant bars and restaurants nearby.
We wanted to stay longer, but they were fully booked so we had to move on. I would stay here again if returning to Galle.
There is an annex across the road, but the larger main building is set back a bit and seemed more private. However, having not seen the annex rooms I cannot really judge.

Room Tip: The two rooms we were shown in the main building on the first floor both looked good. We liked the r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We found this large roomed hotel very convenient for 2 night stay in Galle old town area.Mosquito nets,fans,a/c,large balcony,clean and comfortable. Minor sink problem quickly sorted,and plenty of hot water (once I found the switch! )Breakfast extra, very nice.Good value.I was impressed how all the bedding and mattress were aired outside and great attention to a nice fresh bed and clean floor.

Room Tip: Seemed a quieter street,hotel set back from road in garden,so no traffic noise really at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Unawatuna, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Located in the heart of Galle Fort, we found this hotel last minute, we book a room (N° 15) with a large terrace, all was very clean and comfortable. Very calm as in the fort. Breakfast is correct. The owner pays keeps the standard.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I didn't really do my homework before arriving in Galle Fort so I just went by LonelyPlanet and to be honest I think there are probably better options around (Mango House, for example). As with a lot of places that get featured in LP, the prices go up and the quality goes down. It was very quiet when I was there, the lounge and dining area were deserted and it was a little dark and gloomy inside. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean, nothing to complain about there. The one bright spot was that the family that run the place was extremely accommodating to me, I was able to leave some shopping there whilst I went to Mirissa for a few days and also leave my backpack there one of the days when I was just passing through and taking photos.

If you need a place to stay on short notice for a night then this place is ideally situated smack in the centre of the Fort area. But if you really want the chic experience that Fort has come to be then spend a little more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Very kind staff and good value for its location(in the heart of galle fort). We paid 2800lkr per night for an air con room. Room was clean and Breakfast was nice (not included). They forgot to wash my clothes which were still damp when I left

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Taichung, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

For the first time visit Galle, this will be a nice choice for stay. This hotel is clean and with good service. You can tell the stuffs all the problem u meet and they are very well to help us. And the breakfirst here is delicious for us. Anyway, this is recommendable hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cartersville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews for Frangipani Motel, I booked a room on Agoda, and when I arrived was startled to discover the 'locals price' was half of what they charge tourists who book ahead. In the middle of a heatwave, I had to ask for the A/C controller, when it was included in the price. Hot water was not easy to come by. And after arranging a private tour to Kandy with a driver they recommended, I simply felt taken advantage of for having lighter skin -- clearly he had been told that I was covering his meals and expenses, yet nothing had been said to me. Not to mention, I was charged way too much for the tour, yet was at the mercy of the owners for their help, given I had already paid double for the room in advance. The coffee and breakfast I was promised, was not given. Etc. Etc. While seemingly nice people, in the end it felt like a scam. There are plenty of cute, boutique-ish places to stay within the old fort than staying here... and at far better prices!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Frangipani Motel? Share your experiences!