Such a disappointment to have to write this note. We were really looking forward to the Kurulubedda experience and we paid good money for it. It was our first wedding anniversary and from the photos we saw on the Kurulubedda website we were intrigued by the set up.
The mangrove forest, the elevated wooden walkway, and individual splash pool with each hut, seemed and actually are a true plus for this property.
Only to discover after our arrival that one of the staff was a true privacy invader. The guy who is employed as a chef, acted as our personal bodyguard, luggage porter, and a 24 on 7 security officer with us.
He kept following us around. The minute we set foot out of the bedroom there was no way he could leave us alone to enjoy the surroundings. The cherry on the cake was when at one point he instructed us to go and have dinner at the Jetwing Lighthouse "and then come back here!". Is this Alcatraz? He pushed himself too much and at many points he would stop infront of us staring in our eyes waiting for that extra tip.
Before going to dinner at the Lighthouse he told us that his shift was about to end. When asking whether he could provide us with a torch to find our way back, he put our mind to rest by saying that the security guard at the entrance of Kurulubedda will be ushering us back to our villa.
But to our astonishment when we arrived back close to 11pm he rushed to our aid. Not wearing the work uniform and smelling of alcohol he insisted with the other staff that he wanted to take us to our room. For the 4th time in a span of few hours he expected another tip.
We were supposed to spend 2 nights here but after a series of other mishaps we cancelled the last night. After complaing with the General Manager he offered a honeymoon suite at the Jetwing Lighthouse. The behaviour of the chef was promptly addressed and the worker came to apologise before our departure.
A few notes worth mentioning about the Kurulubedda.
1. There is no signage promoting this property. Our Sri Lankan guide/driver had to stop several times to finally find this place. The property does not even have a name plate on the facade.
2. We were shocked in finding that the cleaning upon our arrival was not done properly, at least in the bathroom. In one of the drawers in the wardrobe situated in the bathroom we found a black lacy underwear surrounded by a shower of gecko droppings. Showed the photos to the General Manager who apologised and pleaded us not to put the photos online.
3. The Kurulubedda property consists of only 2 villas. No internet, despite being advertised on booking.com that internet was included. We were never given a proper explanation of how the Kurulubedda works. In reality, one can either have breakfast and dinner in this property or else go to the Jetwing Lighthouse and enjoy all the buffet services, pool area etc free of charge. Transport to and fro the 2 properties is also provided free of charge by the company.
4. Many mosquitos around at the Kurulubedda. This is to be expected considering that the property is right next to a river. So be prepared and take all necessary measures. Gladly bedrooms are properly sealed with adequate pvc sheets and nice curtains. But this detail is somehow missing from the bathroom. Insects, mosquitos and geckos are free to roam. And if you forget to close the bathroom door, embrace yourself to a mosquito invasion.
5. On the second day the airconditioning was not working, actually emitting heat in the soaring temperatures. After this episode, we insisted that we wanted to move out and go to the Jetwing Lighthouse. The General Manager was very understanding and knowing all the background to the previous events, offered his apology and a quick solution. This is a true example of how customer relations work. Well done, and thanks for this.
All in all I strongly believe that Kurulubedda has the potential of a true lovely experience should the little obvious hurdles be addressed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a boat ride along a quiet rivulet that leads up to Jetwing Kurulubedda, a scenic refuge in the coastal city of Galle that lies tucked away amidst lush greenery. Lose yourself in the peace and tranquillity of a tropical paradise and enjoy your very own contemporary luxury villa complete with a private plunge pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Jetwing Kurulubedda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jetwing Kurulubedda Hotel Galle District