“Drive Past this place and do not turn around” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #98 of 155 Restaurants in Galle
Cuisines: Sri Lankan
San Francisco, California
“Drive Past this place and do not turn around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

On our way to Galle, we stopped in Unawatuna for lunch. We went to a restaurant called Calamander Unawatuna Beach Resort aka UBR. The place is really a beach side hotel resort but we stopped at the restaurant only for lunch.
This place is overrated, overpriced and a tourist ripoff. Our group of six was seated. The tables are rather small so they combined two tables. There was setting for three. I do not know if servers could not speak English but they approached our guide to take our orders. Our guide ordered for us. For a long time we waited, the waiters did not come back to put the additional three settings needed. We had to request them. Their buffet is 1800 rupees compared to 950-1400 rupees we had been paying so far, the highest so far with no extra fresh seafood like the Kandy restaurant who served with exemplary service and a good selection of food. I ordered a vegetarian pizza. Slowly, the food trickled in for my group, no pizza for me. I waited a few minutes more while I watched my group ate their lunch, no pizza for me. Now the group is finished with their lunch, no pizza for me. Our guide summoned the waiter to inquire and more wait. By this time, I lost my appetite and frustration settled in. I got up and told them to eat my pizza along with their loss as I was not about to eat angry. I left and stepped out. Even our guide agreed with me. He felt bad that he brought us there. Then the manager acknowledged to our guide that their staff has poor training. If you charge more than the other restaurants, you better justify by providing an exemplary service. It did not happen here.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great food and value for money @ UBR”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Unawatuna Beach Resort is located on the scenic Unawatuna Beach on the Southern Coast of Sri Lanka. Galle is a short (probably 5km ?) drive away.

While we were staying at the Fortress Hotel (www.fortress.lk) at Koggala (10km from Unawatuna to the South) the rates for buffet, a-la-carte at that hotel were exorbidant. So we decided to look around for dining options....I had heard of UBR from the net, and also from other travelers for accomodation and food...so it was not a difficult choice to make.

The UBR offers rooms for accomodation and is located on the Unawatuna bay beach. The main restaurant of the hotel is located on the beach itself, and you have the option of sitting in the covered area or on the beach itself which is just outside the restaurant. At night they light lanterns and the atmosphere is excellent.

My family and myself visited UBR's restaurant for 3 nights in a row and were always happy and contented with the buffet selection for dinner....soup, a choice of salads, a choice of BBQ (fish, chicken, sausages) and a good variety of continental and sri lankan foods for the mains. The desserts were good in variety but lacked a bit in taste. Of course the Sri lankan fruits like pineapple, papaya and banana were as always excellent so even if the desserts were not too good, the fruits made up for it!

Service is also excellent with very friendly staff. The Chef Rajiv was roaming around and I spoke to him and complimented him on the offering and the excellent food.

The cost for a buffet dinner was LKR 1500 nett (about INR 700 or US$ 15) which is EXCELLENT value for money anywhere. I strongly recommend this restaurant - avoid the Cabana (or similar sounding name) down the same beach - we ate there one night and ended up spending LKR 6000 for lousy food and even lousier service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“New section of hotel is great, forget the buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am confused that most of the reviews talk about the restaurant and not the resort itself. We stayed in the new section of this resort for 3 nights. The room was on the top floor and overlooked the ocean and pool. Very spacious, clean and quiet. Fabulous location right on the beach although the undertow was very strong in this location, so unable to swim. We booked half board with breakfast and dinner included. The food was terrible at dinnertime and not much better at breakfast. Limited quantities. The waiters we had in the evening had to be shown how to pour the wine without spilling. Lots of new staff that need training I think. My 3 stars is for the resort alone. 1 star for the buffet food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
eskilstuna
“Not of the expected standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We visited this beach restaurant for a light lunch. The "English Ploughman's Lunch" tempted me, promising "generous slices of Cheddar cheese and Branston pickle". The pickle was completely missing (tomato ketchup instead). I thought the cheese had been forgotten by the kitchen but the waiter pointed out a white covering on the inside of the bread. The baguette itself was very good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Beech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Visited whilst attending the cricket in Galle. Great steak at the Full Moon restuarant.

Visited March 2012