“Book !!! Book !!! Book !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Bentota Village
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Alwis Road, Warahena, Bentota 80500, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #12 of 41 Bentota B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“Book !!! Book !!! Book !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

It's now my 8th trip to Sri Lanka and my 5th trip to Bentota Village Hotel and I still find it an uncomparably good place to stay. Not only the hotel rooms are very tasteful and clean compared to other hotels. Also the food is very good and for leisure time there is a wonderful extremly clean and big pool where you can really swim and not just only cool down for a minute.
Unlike Mrs. LeedsNomad (see review below) I experienced the management and the staff very competent and extremely friendly and caring. I don't know what happened to Mrs. LeedsNomad that she was so frustrated to state such an unfair and in my eyes completely unjustified review, but I never had any similar experience like her.
Me traveling as a single female person should be the first to be addressed by the beach boys, but there were NEVER beach boys at THIS hotel. Of course there are other sri lankan men (e.g. managers from other hotels, business men who want to organize events at this hotel etc.). Obviously for Mrs. LeedsNomad every sri lankan man is a beach boy!
Regarding the ayurvedic treatments I had extremely good experience. Not only the ayurvedic doctor is highly competent although she's rather young but also the whole therapist team does an excellent job.
Compared to other hotels the price-value at the Bentota Village Hotel is much more than good! You really get a lot for your money. Not to forget that it's a really beautiful and peaceful place with only 14 rooms and with usually very nice guests. But obviously sometimes there are exeptions ;-)
I definitely will come back again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Been to more than 5 hotels in Sri lanka, we can say our stay at
this hotel was by far the most fantastic . It’s even hard to define what’s the best thing about the hotel , could be the staff always smiling at you . Basically each and every person on staff is what makes it such a special place .
Upon entering the premises, you might actually bump into the owner and carry on a happy casual conversation, what happened to us and all of a sudden we were upgraded to one of the loveliest rooms in the whole hotel. Overall I would say that the service, I rarely see anywhere.
The other outstanding feature of this hotel is food. We were on full board and enjoyed each of our delicious nutritious.
I also frequented to spa for a facial massage. There were a number of people on obesity treatment, they say this Ayrweda medicine’s drawn them back to the hotel for more than the third time. So I reckon it’s really working.
Apart from going to the beach this place has got loads of things to do on offer. For instance going to a mountain lake and waterfall in jungles, a river boat trip, fishing, the nature is really eye popping, I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life.
So if you want to get a great experience of a wild nature , to see the most picturesque spots o f Sri Lanka don’t hesitate a single moment book with BVH

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Having just read the report about the Bentota Village Hotel by a person
from Leeds, I'd like to give my opinion . It couldn't be more different.
Bentota Village Hotel is a delighfully small hotel, 14 clean rooms done to
a high standard.
The hotel is really quiet which makes it a wonderful place to relax.
You can have highly professional Ayurveda or massages which are carried
out by a qualified doctor.
The staff are polite, friendly and fullfill your every wish without being overbearing.
The cuisine is excellent, I have never eaten better food. If i wanted something
different or special to eat, this was carried out immediately in a very friendly
way.
I stayed in this beautiful hotel from 4. February - 18.February 2010 , because
it was so fantastic I went again from 2. May - 15. May 2010. My next holiday at
Bentota village Hotel is already planned.
I really cannot praise this hotel enough.
In my opinion, the commnents from the people in Leeds are fictitious and
spiteful.
Bentota Village Hotel is one of the most wonderful small hotels I have ever stayed
in. I can only recommend it !
Should there be any questions , please don't hesitate to contact me.
My e-mail-address : Uli.Trost@t-online.de

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Kalutara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel was under refurbishment.Now the hotel is getting excellent comments for all markets.I had been with two families for 2 days.No words to explain.My client had a back pain before arriving.After therapy massage she we extremely delighted.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Although it looks very grand when your arrive through the entrance gates decorated with huge metal work sculptures of elephants, the hotel does not live up to it's decor by a long way.
Absolutely awful place, it appears to be the hangout for the local "Beach Boys", most of them live on site. It is vey difficult to go anywhere in the hotel complex without being harrassed by one of them, wanting to take you somewhere or offering a sexual experience, despite being with my husband. I found it very difficult to cope with, as this was supposed to be a relaxing holiday. Gangs of local boys hang around outside the hotel all day & night, lines of tuk-tuks parked outside, with the boys propositioning any female tourist that walks by, it's a very intimidating experience.
The spa aspect of the hotel, is just another oportunity for the local boys to ogle the female guests, the ayurvedic area is based next to the beach boys boarding house, so the have full view of you having your treatments, more often than not a group will gather, when it becomes apparent that you will be using the spa services, they will sit within eyesight, catcalling for the whole time. Needless to say I did not indulge in the relaxing spa opportunity on offer, after hearing complaints from other guests.
When you do manage to leave the hotel, Bentota is beautiful, but this Hotel gives the place a bad name. There are many other places to stay, that do not allow beach boys onto their property. The hotel is clean, unremarkable and massively overpriced.
I did witness a female guest complaining about a beach boy, living at the hotel, beating a stray puppy outside the entrance, the hotel's immediate response was to gather a group of boys around and attempt intimidate the lady, by mimicing her voice stating "I am very angry", over and over again, laughing with each other until the lady was forced to give up her complaint and leave. this behaviour was disgusting, fortunately we were coming to the end of our stay at this point, otherwise I would have packed our belongings and moved to another hotel. I cannot stress enough, that this hotel is a badly managed, overpriced and generally a place for the local youths to hangout.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We wanted to stay for one night but we stayed 5 beautiful days in your excellent new hotel. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel beautifully modern styled but with native furniture and a perfect well-kept garden. A compliment. The rooms were quiet, clean, big and very comfortable and the price reasonable and every evening it was a surprise wich fresh flowers were decorated on our bed. The pool was a welcome refreshment. The cook deserves a Michelin star.
We really felt at home in a foreign country. Specially on the party of the staff we had a real good time and a lot of fun. We felt welcome and the ayurvedic treatment was fantastic.
We recommend you to everyone.
Next time we come back.
Good luck to everybody. Thanks folks!

Marleen Boetzkes

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bentota Village? Share your experiences!