“Thanks!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sri Lancashire Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bentota
Sri Lancashire Guest House
You added Sri Lancashire Guest House to your Saves list
No 85A , Circular Road | Obadawatta, Bentota, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 42 Bentota B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Thanks!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Its amazing, every other reviewer has already said exactly what we want to say so congratulations on getting the #1 spot on Tripadvisor!!! You deserve it :) The most welcoming, laid back, and friendly place we have ever stayed in. Like visiting family or friends without the drama! Thanks Donna and Alan for your vision and thanks Wassantha, Nishanthi and Chaminda for making it happen. All the best! Ev

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Sri Lancashire and am so glad I found this place, after having booked a few other places, I came across the Sri Lancashire and just knew it would be perfect - I wasnt wrong! Wisantha, Nishanti and Chaminda look after you so well, you feel like you are part of the family, and I was lucky too that owners Alan and Donna were there during some of my trip. They all go so out of their way to make you feel welcome, and nothing is too much trouble! I was lucky to stay in the beautiful Lotus room, on the ground floor, with a stunning garden and river view - arriving in the early hours of the morning, with the sun coming up on the river, and the sounds of the call to prayer at the temple across the river was just breathtaking, and a lovely welcome of king coconut and a garland of flowers was charming. Breakfast is served on the patio outside the room - and what a breakfast, eggs (however you like) toast, juice, yoghurt, honey & preserves, fruit (mango, pineapple, banana, papaya), tea/coffee - all whenever you like - no restricted times here!
Then Wasantha will kindly run you to the beach in the tuk tuk and this is how I spent my days (apart from a 2 day tour to whale and dolphin watch, followed by a jeep safari at the Yala National Park - all arranged perfectly by Wasantha - I highly recommend this :-)!!) You cannot stay here without sampling Nishanti's cooking - you will not be disappointed, stunning food in a beautiful setting, and the most amazing curries and side dishes - delicious!!
The lovely beach is like paradise - no rows and rows of sunbeds here, and beach touts etc - this is a lovely stretch of beach, all golden sands and palm trees and hardly any people, so relaxing. And then when you return to the house, a beautiful surprise awaits - swans and flowers, or hearts of leaves - a beautiful design on your made bed - these little touches are delightful :-)
This place really is wonderful, a home away from home, you will not be disappointed, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :-) I can't wait to go back :-)

Room Tip: I may be biased but the Lotus Room is a DELIGHT! Beautiful garden and river view - just stunning :-)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Moraira, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here for nearly a week, as part of a twin centre holiday in Sri Lanka. This guest house was by far the best one that we stayed in. The welcome from the staff at the beginning was fantastic and nothing was ever too much trouble for any of them - Wassantha, Nishanthi or Chaminda. They were polite and attentive and really helpful. We had a couple of meals made by Nishanthi, which were delicious, and the breakfast was never ending! The rooms were clean (cleaned and bed made every day) and very comfortable, with a fridge and tea making facilities. Also, it's worth mentioning that there were more than enough points (in the room) to charge the plethora of electronic gadgets that we had with us - something you wouldn't think about but actually was invaluable. It was lovely to come back at the end of each day to relax looking out over the lagoon on the hammock or one of the sunbeds. It was a great place for bird watching and bat spotting! We will definitely be back sometime!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have the best views of the lagoon with a verandah.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The veranda outside our upstairs room was bliss. Generous breakfasts were taken at a veranda table. Loungers were waiting round the corner for sunbathing, reading, and watching the lagoon activity. The garden hammock beckoned. It required some effort to go somewhere else.

Wasantha checked with us each day, to ask if we wanted to go anywhere, and we did enjoy a half day tuktuk trip to the Bevis Bawa property called Brief, outside of town. It is privately owned by a trust, with an atmosphere similar to a NT property in the UK.
On another tuktuk ride back from the beach, he suggested calling in to the local aruyvedic herb garden. We should have said no... too much hard selling, and the mossies were in biting mood.

In the evenings, we sometimes ate at a local restaurant and sometimes at Sri Lancashire. There is no doubt that Nishanthi, and Chaminda served us the best of home cooked Sri Lankan meals at a fraction of the restaurant cost. From enquiries with Donna before we arrived, we had thought to buy some duty free wine en route to Sri Lanka, which was cooled in the room fridge, and perfect to accompany the candle light dinner on the veranda in the evening.

We recommend Sri Lancashire to anyone wanting a quiet relaxing accommodation with views, and the most impressive attentive service from the family.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view room if possible
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I booked this guesthouse with a little trepidation just 2 days before I left Australia as I had heard Bentota was quite touristy and was a little concerned about that as I wanted something carefree and relaxed. Little did I know I had booked the perfect place that was nestled away from the hustle and bustle in a friendly, quiet village. On arrival I was absolutely captivated by the warm hospitality of Nishanthi, Wasantha and Chaminda, not to mention the beautiful view and setting by the river. I realised I had found a great little spot and so decided to spend 4 nights there. The rooms were spotless, so clean, welcoming and comfortable. My stay here was one of the main highlights of my 3 week trip to Sri Lanka and the beautiful people that run the hostel are the reason I want to return to Sri Lanka - their desire to make my trip so remarkable and unforgettable, achieved exactly that. I loved cruising with Wasantha in his tuk tuk to his friend's more secluded beach away from the tourists and beach boys and to any other places I wished to visit. Nishanthi's amazing cooking made my mouth water every morning and evening and remained unsurpassed throughout my whole trip. I wasn't ready to say goodbye so I visited them again later in my trip, dropping by for a chat and cup of tea and visited a third time for my final night to stay and celebrate with them and the other guests at the beautiful annual Perahera Festival celebrating the final full moon of 2013. I was lucky enough to meet and enjoy this with Donna and Ian (the owners) as well and was once again made to feel like I was with family and friends. I can't recommend this little piece of paradise enough. Do yourself a favour and immerse yourself in the incredible experience that Sri Lancashire Guesthouse offers you - you'll be so glad you did. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely but the Lotus room was my favourite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Following on from other reviewers, we chose to stay here because of the fantastic reviews. We had been to Bentota before and stayed at one of the large beach hotels. Whilst being a good hotel, we preferred to try somewhere smaller and more personal. My husband and I have travelled quite extensively and without doubt, this was the most wonderful place we have ever stayed. We booked with only a few weeks notice and stayed almost three weeks in three different rooms. All the rooms were really lovely. Spacious and spotlessly clean. The setting is so wonderfully peaceful and beautiful. However, what makes this guest house stand apart from anywhere else we have stayed was the beautiful people, standard of service and genuine willingness to make your stay unforgettable. Every single aspect of our stay was truly wonderful and we will certainly be returning at the end of this year. And most probably the next...and the next...

Room Tip: Both the upstairs rooms have a great view over the balcony and a beautiful setting to have breakfast...
Keswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked because of the fantastic reviews and weren't disappointed. The guest is beautifully designed and spotlessly clean. We were staying in the Jasmine Room and would highly recommend it.
The breakfasts were brilliant-varied and a good combination between Western and Sri Lankan. Chalminder (who serves them) is delightful.
Donna, the owner, is friendly and welcoming and the whole place is very relaxed. Bentota itself is a lovely location and the beach that they recommended was our favourite in Sri Lanka.
Wasthanthe was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived and delivered us safely back to our hotel and was very knowledgeable about the local area. The only thing I would say is if Donna is about check with her whether you pay him for short tuk tuk rides. We had been paying for rides to nearby restaurants while others in the hotel weren't.
All in all, a fantastic place to stay. You won't find better in Sri Lanka!

Room Tip: Get the Jasmine Room,.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sri Lancashire Guest House? Share your experiences!