“Give this one a miss!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
BROMLEY, KENT, UK
“Give this one a miss!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My wife and I are seasoned travellers. We have been to many places in the World and we accept that there are differences everywhere. However, we feel that first and foremost a restaurant should provide a good meaningful service to its clients rather than be just a money-making enterprise for the owner!

This experience in Bentota, during our whole stay in Sri Lanka, was in fact the worst experience we have had in this beautiful country.

My wife and I decided on Wunderbar restaurant because, as the name implied, it seemed to cater for European tastes and we did not want to eat any spicy food on this particular day! As we entered the restaurant area we were invited into a cold room to inspect a large number of fresh fish and obviously to make a choice. (This is a subtle way of getting you to buy fish before you are seated in the restaurant). We did not want fish and said that we would like to be seated first and have a look at the menu. We were shown upstairs to the restaurant which was almost empty of customers when we arrived and we were handed a menu. My wife chose Spaghetti Bolognese
an Italian dish, with which she is very familiar. I chose a fillet steak, but I had to ask the price of it as the menu did not show any price next to it. I asked the waiter to clarify that it was fillet steak and not beef steak mentioned a little further down the menu! He explained that it was fillet steak and it was the same price. So I chose it! I had to call the waiter back to the table as he had not asked me how I wanted my steak cooked. As he was serving us our drinks I asked him for a steak knife in preparation for cutting my steak, only to be told that they didn't have any!

The restaurant was now becoming busy with new customers arriving for an evening meal. A waiter took our meal to another table and placed it in front of newly arrived customers. I had to tell the waiter that I thought that the food was our order! He then brought it to our table.

My wife's Spaghetti Bolognese was very hot and spicy and not a traditional Spaghetti Bolognese and my steak was certainly not fillet steak as it could only be described as 'tough as old boots' it was virtually inedible and very difficult to cut without a proper knife and equally difficult to chew! We both could not eat the food prepared for us!

A waiter called to ask us if we were enjoying our meal and we said that both meals were not what we had ordered and we would like to speak with the Manager. In order not to make a scene in the restaurant area we moved to the bar where a man introduced himself to us as the Manager. He was clearly not interested in anything that I was saying to him as he was being constantly diverted to other tasks. I actually asked him if he was listening or interested in anything that I had to say. He said that he would not charge me for the food, but I must pay for our drinks.

It is interesting to note that most restaurants we have visited in Sri Lanka have a 10% service charge added to the bill and of course this place was no exception. As there had also been problems with our drinks order I only paid the drinks bill and not the service charge.

We are not complainers by nature but this restaurant had completely the wrong attitude to customer service and respect for its clients and that is why I am writing this review

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Good food, great views from the tables upstairs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This place right off Bentota beach is quite lovely. The food is good, waiters are attentive and portions are large and decently priced. The Wunderbar also has a small turtle sanctuary where you can see some of the baby turtles they recently saved and will soon release into the wild.

Visited January 2014
bedfordshire
“nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Right on the beach with sinners serve good food and cold beers, great position on the beach staff friendly

Visited January 2014
Doha, Qatar
“1h to get a simple fish dish served”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Went there for lunch it was weired. Rail crosses the property to get to beach zooming at 40km/h
Food was not good had tuna over cooked like never seen before and spicy fish dish tasted like cardboard. Kid dish was almost raw thinking they forgot his dish . All this after a one hour wait. Is this right ? 6500 roupies later disappointed

Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Terrible bad food very overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Unbelievable bad tasteless dirty food for a price you can eat for example Machan restaurants 10 times but with more taste. Very overpriced. The place also not nice because the very noisy and dangerous railway in the front of the restaurant. Bad expirience for us.