“Pure indulgence, tasteful design, a class of its own” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Road The Villa Bentota

Save Saved
You added Paradise Road The Villa Bentota to your Saves list
Paradise Road The Villa Bentota
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mohotti Walauwa | 138/18 - 138/22 Galle Road, Bentota, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #2 of 26 hotels in Bentota
Singapore
“Pure indulgence, tasteful design, a class of its own”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Professional, kind & helpful staff. We had a lot of privacy. Waiters were a delight to talk to. Indika & crew, thank you for everything! Guys at the reception were quick-witted and very accommodating. I broke my Iphone USB cable and Mr. Manager directed me to a mobile accessories shop in Aluthgama and voila! I got a replacement :)

Ravi, the unofficial resident tuk-tuk driver of the Villa. Steadfast & jovial, he has a great knowledge of all the attractions in Bentota. He lives in a house just next to the Villa and is thus very punctual whenever we needed transport out of the hotel premises. Should you need a driver to take you to the airport or further destinations, Ravi's brother operates a taxi service. How convenient!

High quality, delicious food. My favorite orders were the grilled tuna stacks and homemade coconut ice-cream. My buddy loved the Sri Lankan curry. Breakfast was very tasty & portions were generous. Everything we had was to-die-for, enough said! Off topic, but I have to point this out: their counterpart, the Paradise Road Gallery Cafe in Colombo is a complete embarrassment compared to the Villa Cafe. Extremely rude waiters & shoddy service. We were aghast by the stark difference in food & service quality!

Luxurious rooms & lounge areas. We totally lucked out and stayed in Room Five, which has a patio overlooking the smaller pool, frangipani tree, lawn, & the best lounge area which we spent most of our time at. We had a peek at other rooms and I thought they paled in comparison to ours. Although the idea of a bathroom with outdoor shower sounds romantic, I would highly recommend a room on the second floor with an indoor bathroom and patio as showering with creepy crawlies isn't at all fun. And my goodness, the lounge with the chandelier! We practically parked ourselves there and called it OUR lounge as there were not many guests in the hotel throughout the duration of our stay ;) It was unadulterated luxury.

Warm, clean pool. Plush loungers. Water would be served without asking!

Tasteful art and design throughout the Bawa-designed property. Beautifully manicured lawns. Vast spaces. We felt very at home.

Complimentary afternoon tea service. Cheese toast, cake, ginger biscuits on rotation. Yum!

Daily evening turn-down service. Bottles of water and fresh towels sent to room at dusk. Coffee & tea sachets are replenished. Mozzie net is put down.

The Villa Shop. I loved the stuff in there. Hotel guests get a 10% discount off all purchases.

Top-notch ayurvedic toiletries by Spa Ceylon. The Spa Ceylon range can be purchased at Paradise Road shops in Colombo.

Being able to walk around the hotel grounds in pyjamas or swimwear. So liberating. Ah, the perks of traveling during the off-peak season. The brief early morning showers did not dampen our mood one bit and in fact, was a welcome relief to the scorching afternoon heat.

I liked the railway track next to the property. It was a quaint and interesting feature. It was fun waving to passengers in the trains whenever they whizzed by several times a day. Nope, we did not feel like our space was impinged on. Totally relished that experienced. The beach was rustic & untouched. Not suitable for sunbathing nor swimming, but late afternoon walks were a real treat. Better visit soon before it gets usurped by developers.

Having seen most of the other hotels on the Bentota beach strip, I personally thought the Villa Bentota was the best looking property in the area. Even though there were huge five-star establishments in the vicinity, they lacked intimacy and personal touches. Ostentatious with little regard for atmosphere and design. The Villa is truly a class of its own.

Cons? None that I can think of. But if I could nit-pick: Food and beverage were exceptional & of excellent quality, but pricey for Sri Lankan standards. But it wasn't really an issue as the few dining options outside of the hotel were beyond horrendous. The fare offered in the other hotels and eating places down the beach did not compare at all. So if you do stay here, the only other decent restaurant would be at the next door Club Villa.

All in all, I highly recommend Paradise Road The Villa Bentota. Remember to visit Lunuganga & Brief Garden! Magical & out of this world.

A shout-out to the Villa Bentota team, a big thank you for the great hospitality. We will send you the photos in a bit! See you soon, we will be back ;)

Love,
Stephanie & Freddie

Room Tip: Room Five, without a doubt. It's a standard room but its location is unparalleled, compared to t...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Gurgaon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

the staff was perfect, we were greeted by name upon checkin, we were given suite number 5 which had a garden view, the suite was large and comfortable. Hotel design was unique and our kids quite liked it, there is also a sperate pool for kids. Food was great, they even customized the food for our kids.

The beach is just 5 mins away and you have to cross the railway track!, however its was not an issue for us.

Overall we had a perfect stay and would go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great looking property, very eclectic but you have to be very sure what you want while while very beautiful hotel is a tad small. We stayed here for 4 nights. On day one we stayed in Suite 1, the executive suite which was sold to us as an upgrade, having a lap pool. We didnt like the room as it had little ventilation as it faced a wall. Lap pool also didnt feel very clean to us. got concerned as o n entering the pool the water felt to be a bit bad smelling. Anyhow we requested for a room change and thankfully they had a vacant room. We moved to suite 5 after paying some $ 24 extra night but the room was beautiful. The room is beautiful it has a big veranda and it opens into the garden. Very well lit and spacious. The bathroom is also very nice. Since the property is very small the railway track which runs across the Bentota beach is very close. Since the room has no sound proofing it gets very noise in early morning and if you like us like to sleep till late on a holiday this is a bit of a problem. We slept very poorly for the 3 nights that we stayed in this room. having said this it is a Bawa property and hence beautiful and a must experience when in Sri Lanka. they mostly had European guests, with 14 room it was very quite which I really liked. Food is nice while the menu is limited. this get boring esp for breakfast more so if you dont want to eat Sri Lankan food early morning. But the staff is v polite and eager to help. We got a bad throat so I wanted lemon tea which they readily learned from me and made. food here is more expensive than other places in Sri lanka.

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room facing the garden that way you will get the sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been to Sri Lanka four times now and although it has a lot of five star hotels, the boutique hotels at an affordable price are few and far between.

Ths Villa Bentota hit the spot for my husband and I, who have stayed in some stunning boutique hotels in the past but now have children and so have to find something that will keep them happy as well.

Really pleased with the size of our room, Suite 2 on the ground floor had ample space for two extra beds yet still felt spacious. It has doors going straight out into the garden so was ideal for the children. I felt sorry for the family in the suite above us who were lugging a baby and buggy up the stairs - not enough to swap rooms though!

There are lots of areas around the hotel to sit and relax in, all immaculately furnished with artwork at every turn.

Restaurant food was delicious every time although a bit pricey. As there is only one restaurant, it can be a bit tedious to eat here all the time, the inclusive breakfast being served here as well. Lots of restaurant choices nearby, the Rickshaw drivers that will accost you outside the hotel know all the popular ones.

The beach is wide, sandy and quiet but the sea is rough so beware with very young children. Our kids aged 6 and 7 couldn't get enough of the crashing waves.

Small shop on site - the Paradise Road shop in Columbo is bigger and cheaper - if you can wait, I would really recommend visit it when in Columbo.

Other reviews mention slow or non existent staff, maybe we just got lucky, but we didn't experience this. We were greeted with iced drinks on arrival and a courteous and efficient service throughout our stay.

Overall, a tastefully decorated, serene place that out does many of the places I have been to in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: If going for a suite, and travelling with children go for the gournd floor, goig straight out onto t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Simply i must say one of the best tastefully done resorts in Asia. the lovely pool awesome landscapes and public areas .. how ever we dint stay here since we were staying at the adjoining hotel club-villa but two nights we had dinner here and it was so deliciouses and well presented . good wine good food but must say staff must be more friendly but well trained. over all it is magic and perfect

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Not a thing is out of place here at the Villa Bentota. The service,food, drinks and rooms are all outstanding. But I'm the kind of traveler that likes a little charm. Me? I love the train. Sitting on my veranda watching the commuters go by was just another peek into the local lives of the Sri Lankan people. I love crossing the tracks to get to the beach. Yes, a few locals wanted me to try their restaurants or see their turtles but it wasn't a hassle- I never felt "invaded upon". my shower was a bit old. Not the water pressure I'm used to but a soak in the free standing 1.5 meter long tub took care of that.
We originally booked the 2 bedroom suite (my hubby and I went with a single friend) but realized with only one bath for the suite that wasn't the ideal room for us. Without question the staff moved us to two charming rooms with a shared covered veranda. It was perfect for traveling adults to have common space and privacy at the same time. The villa is filled with art, architecture and amazing styling. Sitting areas are tucked away for a quiet moment with your book and cup of tea. Sculptures surprise you when you see they are man made and not actually a part of the landscape. The art is curated locally so it never feels out of place. We ate at the Villa almost every evening and I was never disappointed or bored. The Villa was full of other vacationing adults from around the world. we got to know several people and enjoyed sharing drinks and swapping stories about our travels. The Villa Bentota is the kind of place that makes you want to do that... it's truly a place to relax and let go.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suite only has one bath and awkward access with two doors off the hall and only the bath t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great hotel, great staff, but beware of the very dangerous riptide. I stayed here in 2011 and was swept out to sea with my 11-year old son from the beach. We were standing in the breaking waves and before we knew what was happening, we were pulled out to sea. The speed of the riptide was breathtaking. We were 400 meters out to sea, and there were no rescue facilities at all. We were drifting for a full hour before a couple of locals came to save us by paddling out with kick-boards.

There are no signs warning of the dangerous rip-tide, despite management knowing about this. Be careful with kids.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Paradise Road The Villa Bentota? Share your experiences!