“Will not take the AREX again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Arex (Korail Airport Railroad)

Arex (Korail Airport Railroad)
46 Geombawi-ro, Seo-gu, Incheon 404-845, South Korea
4.5 of 5 stars 161 Reviews
Type: Other
Singapore
8 attraction reviews
“Will not take the AREX again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Frankly I would rather take the Airport Limo Bus going forward (unless you are travelling very light) as it is too much hassle to take the AREX. We tried simply because of the downtown check-in privilege for Asiana Airlines passengers (Korean Air also included) and in case we experience any traffic jam taking the Airport Limo.

Left hotel 3.5hrs in advance. Took a cab to Seoul Station from Myeongdong. At Seoul station, had to lug our baggage up the ramp to take the lift down to basement level. There wasn't any clear signage indicating where to go so we really went with our instincts. The lifts took forever to come (only 2 serving this busy station) and there wasn't any dedicated lifts to the AREX.

Down at the basement level, it was quite confusing as we aren’t sure where to buy the AREX tickets and perform check-in. When we saw the check-in area we quickly head over but were stopped by the customer officers telling us that we have to purchase the AREX tickets first. After completing this, we head to the check-in counters only to be refused check-in as we were late by 20mins (due to our flight being brought forward by 10mins without any notification + the waiting for lifts + having to buy the AREX tickets first).

The downtown check-in sticks strictly to the 3hrs advance check-in (to ensure your checked in baggage gets on your flight on time) hence unless you leave for Seoul station 4 hours prior to your flight else you will face something we did. After we reach Incheon airport, we had to navigate a long way and go up the escalators before we finally reach Asiana check-in counters. Ended up we were late than early for check-in (left with 1hr 30mins before flight departure).

I had thought that taking the AREX will be smooth but turns out I was so wrong - it was a nightmare. Would prefer the airport limo bus as its really much more convenient compared to this so called faster direct to airport train which isn't any faster due to the hassle one has to go through.

Visited January 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
128 attraction reviews
“Express train to Seoul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Really good system. Got the slower cheaper train using my T card one way, it is cheaper but stops at every stop. On the way back I got the fast train and was worth paying the extra money. Good, efficient service.

Visited October 2013
서울특별시, 대한민국
114 attraction reviews
“Airport Link to downtown in Korea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Gimpo is domestic airport including Japan and China directions. From ICN(international airport), you can get normal speed train to Gimpo then you need to transfer high speed train to the down town or you can also take regular speed train which stops every stops on the way to down town. The express train stops a few station, which is major correspondence. the final stop is Gangnam area, Shin Nonhyun station. it takes 1 and half hours from ICN to Gangnam but if you go to central area it takes 1 hour or less. compare to airport bus limo, it takes more time but OK to travel with this airport link as a traveler. Since you can buy T money card(public transport card, provides discount every time) and use this card from the airport which gives you a discount while you are in Korea. as you know, I recommend this train who travel light.

Visited November 2013
Singapore, Singapore
7 attraction reviews
“All train have pay wifi signal for internet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I subscribe data roaming to use but some area subway have no mobile signal. But detect wifi signal all the time at train cabin. I should buy prepaid wifi is better than mobile data. Learn lesson

Visited October 2013
Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Convenient check in for flights at Seoul Station”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent a little over a week in South Korea, visiting my son who lives near Busan. Upon arrival at Incheon he and his girlfriend met me at the airport and we took AREX to Seoul Station then the subway on to our hotel.
But where AREX really shines is the availability of airport flight and baggage check in right at the train station. I spent the night before my flight at the Millennium Hilton near Seoul Station. The train station offers check in for KAL and Asiana flights (and I think others) up to 24 hours before your flight. (You must check in at least 3 hours prior) I took a taxi to the station, (though I think that it probably have been just as easy to take the hotel's free shuttle to the station) Checked in, checked my bags, and even went through immigration with absolutely no waiting. I then bought my express ticket, then did a little shopping around the station before boarding the train. It was fantastic not to have to worry about lugging my bags on the train, and it's so fast!
Upon arrival at the airport, I was able to skip the regular security line and go through the crew/diplomat entrance since I had already cleared immigration. (of course you still have to go through the hand luggage security check, etc.) But it was so much quicker and easier.

Visited August 2013