“Great view over lake” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hyundai Gyeongju

Save Saved
You added Hotel Hyundai Gyeongju to your Saves list
Hotel Hyundai Gyeongju
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   477-2 Shinpyeong-Dong, Gyeongju, Gyeongsangbuk-do 780-290, South Korea   |
Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Gyeongju
Orpington
“Great view over lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on business for 3 nights. I was in room 1209 – on the 12th floor with a balcony and great view over a lake. I was booked into the hotel by my hosts who get a special discount. The room rate listed on a leaflet in the room was 250000 won but I paid only 110000 won which included the buffet breakfast.

The hotel and room (twin bedded) were very comfortable. It had a large flat screen TV with CNN and a Korean English channel. The room had tea making facilities (2 sachets each of green tea and black tea which I thought was a little stingy considering there could be two people in the room – no milk – but you can easily get more tea if you have the buffet breakfast!).

Every evening I was at the hotel (Tuesday-Thursday) there was live entertainment in the form of a male musician/vocalist and a female vocalist. Both were good, singing in English all the time I was there.

The hotel staff were very friendly and most spoke good English. The chambermaids start early, before 0800 and have little knowledge of English.

The circumference of the lake is stated to be 10km. There is claimed to be a path/cycle track around it. I did not have time to investigate this track other than for about an hour each morning so I could only walk for about 25 minutes in either direction before turning back. There is construction work on the path but it is very easy to detour around these sections. There appears to be a major exercise to improve the path from what is a dirt track in places to a red brick path.

The hotel and local area are used by both tourists and business people. The hotel, lake and surrounding area form what is known as the Bomun Tourist Resort. There are several other hotels on the lake shore, such as the Hilton and Concorde. There is also a funfair – Gyeongju World - though I had no time to visit it.

There are lots of historic sites (listed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Sites), such as the 15th-16th century Yangdong folk village, in the surrounding area though you would need a car to visit them. The heritage of the area dates back well over 1000 years.

The hotel’s buffet breakfast was good, comprising both hot and cold food. Breakfast can be busy at times, even when the restaurant opens at 0700, as the hotel is used by tourist coach parties. I ate in the hotel only one evening when I had the buffet dinner – this was good and there was lots of choice. There are many restaurants nearby, some within easy walking distance. There are two food villages - Bukgun and Supmeori – nearby, comprising many restaurants. The first food village is just within walking distance from the hotel – probably about 25 minutes. Alternatively, both food villages are a very short taxi ride away. My hosts took me to a restaurant in the Bokgun Food Village and this was very good. If you try these food villages then be prepared to sit cross-legged - the restaurant staff may not have any knowledge of English so you will need to be prepared to experiment!

In addition to Korean and foreign tourists, the hotel also hosts international conferences though I don’t know the maximum size of conference they can host.

Contrary to other reviews of this hotel, I encountered no mould in the bathroom or any other problems! All the fittings and furnishings were of good quality and clean.

In October, the outdoor swimming pool was not in use.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again if I returned.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
HCMC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

The hotel is very much in the Korean megastyle, resort hotel in-country category. You do get the feeling it caters to large groups at peak times of the year. Golf courses surround the hotel, and the lake frontage is typically Asian. A modern art museum or some such sits behind the hotel and the whole area is very quiet and peaceful at night. Whilst it is not close to a multitude of restaurants, there are enough in a 10 minute stroll to satisfy basic needs. In house restaurants we good and I was very impressed by the evening service staff. Breakfast is typical buffet fare expected of this level of hotel and the cliental on the days I was there all seemed satisfied.

The beds were soft and the sheets very crisp. The pillows were a little too soft for my liking, but I doubled them up to get enough firmness. Housekeeping was excellent, they even replaced my watch in the exact position after cleaning the table.

We travelled to the local beaches on the second day. Nothing to write home about and I would seek other amusements if you are looking for something to do.

All in all, worth the money and if I had to stay in Gyongyu again I would stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

The previous reviewer was correct in his/her opinions about this hotel. We arrived and the air-conditioning did not work in our room. We were told to "wait it out" and things would get better. Eventually, we were moved to another room which was only marginally better. We did, however, have a self-contained shower.

Finding out about the services offered in this hotel was like pulling teeth. The in-room instruction folder contained only information about the restaurant. There are very few signs directing you to anything in the hotel. When I asked about use of the pool in the afternoon I was told it was closed. We tried walking around the Lake but the paths are under construction and not pleasant to use.. After a week of Korean food we were looking forward to the Italian restaurant. That, too, was closed, and we were referred to the 3 Italian items on the coffee bar menu. The dishes were inedible. I spoke with the chef about this and there were apologies all around and I was offered an alternate item, but declined. Service in the restaurants is minimal at best. The coffee bar offers coffee for 8000 Won ($7.00) a cup, so instead we went to the Mini-Stop shop down the road for an alternative.

A public bus tour of the main sights is offered in three varieties, but no English guide services are available. The hotel offers one shuttle trip to town per day at 11:50, but for any other time one is on one's own.

This is clearly a mostly Korean business hotel and has little interest in catering to foreign visitors. For the price, it is to be avoided.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
san francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

The reviews here are mixed with the Hyundai hotel in Seoul. The Seoul Hyundai is much better than the one here in Gyeongju- miles apart so be careful as the Hyundai brand has very different quality service from location to location.

The one here in Gyeongju is an older hotel with a worn out signage on the building, right on the resort district lake. It is not close to malls and shopping as the other reviewer says. The whole resort area is not convenient for foreigners- and most things you want to see in Gyeongju requires a car. Nothing is walking distance unless you don't mind walking a mile or two with your family.

Gyeongju is a historic city in Korea, but this resort area is mostly for Koreans not foreigners. The amenities at the Hyundai Hotel are poor and the service is even worse. My hotel veranda had spiders, spider webs hanging from the railings, and moths flying around. The room was large and fairly clean but the bathroom exceptionally bad. The bathtube had a clog and didn't drain. We were there for three days and after notifying them of this problem, they never got to fixing it so we took showers in a tub that kept filling up. There were no shower curtains so water was spraying everywhere. All the rooms that our friends stayed in as well at the Hyundai did not have shower curtains- maybe Koreans do not like the curtains?? But funny, there were shower rings hanging from a curtain rod. The complimentary amenities were china souced-generics repackaged in Hyundai minibottles. I would not use these on my body. The shampoo was gelatinous! Also, for a room with two beds, there was only one complimentary bottle of water as other hotels provide. Saving a few pennies here and there really brings down the experience at this hotel.

We had lunch there and one of the Korean garnish dishes had a WORM in it. I pointed it out to the staff and they apologized (which they are very quick to do) but nothing more. No reassurances and no response from higher management.
The best part of this hotel is the bed. It was firm and the sheets were nice quality. I slept well. Walls were thick enough to keep out sounds from adjoining rooms.

Overall, this is an old hotel with poorly trained staff who don't know how to solve problems. The hotel is poorly maintained with inconveniences everywhere. It feels old. Then, there's the WORM in our food. It makes one very concerned about eating anything else in the hotel. Someone in our party thought maybe it was a worm dish- it was supposed to be there. But I know Koreans do not eat these garden worms. It was clearly a result of negligence.

The sauna

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Vigan, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

highly recommendable!!! hotel is near malls and other great places!

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This hotel belongs to Hyundai. The hotel is modern and nice with upscale amenities. I would recommend it highly if you are staying in Ulsan. The Hyundai department store is next door and the small business/restaurant area just on the other side of the store is handy too with neat little places. Koreans are friendly and kind people by nature in my opinion. It is one of the safest places I have visited. The only drawback in my opinion is the pricey breakfast at $22 but this appears typical for nice Korean hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is a nice hotel that you can tell used to be VERY high end, but now shows some wear. There are better hotels nearby, but this one was nice enough. Free internet. AC didn't work too well. Rooms were spacious.

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Hotel Hyundai Gyeongju? Share your experiences!