“Good place, decent price, owner is great” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hanjin Hostel to your Saves list
Hanjin Hostel
173-1 Noseo-Dong, Gyeongju, Gyeongsangbuk-do 780-932, South Korea   |
Uijeongbu
“Good place, decent price, owner is great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I stayed at the Hanjin with my girlfriend and two of our friends for the weekend. It was a nice place. We booked the private rooms with private bathrooms. Clean and cozy.

It's a very cheap cab ride from downtown (maybe 3000 won or so) or a 15 minute walk.

Mr. Kwon knows English and can tell you everything you want to do. Super nice guy. Also, there is no more curfew (I read somewhere online that there is a 11pm curfew).

Nice place. Good people. Good price. Good vibes. and... Hot Water!

I'm going to stay again, next time I visit Gyeongju!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
cpy2377
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

It was my 2nd trip to GyeongJu and the owner of Hanjin Hostel, Mr. Kwon, made it even more enjoyable for me than my first visit to GyeongJu a few years ago. My friends and I rented a a couple of rooms for 3 nights and 4 days. I contacted Mr. Kwon through e-mail and he got back to me very quickly about the rates. My reservations were made and Mr. Kwon gave me directions on how to get there from the bus terminal (it's literally 1 min away).

My friends and I arrived at the hostel and were greeted by Mr. Kwon himself. He showed us to our room and then invited us to have tea and hang out. The place did seem pretty old but as far as I could tell there are no problems with the place. The rooftop is a good place to hang out with friends, socialize with other guests, and enjoy the fresh air. The interior of the place is pretty old but everything was clean,smelled nice, and worked properly so we didn't really mind. I learned that the place has been around forever and they have kept most of it in its original condition so it's kind of an historic spot.

We went on a tour around GyeongJu with Mr. Kwon on our second day. He speaks perfect english and is incredibly funny which made the tour really enjoyable. He took us to beautiful places all over GyeongJu. It was awesome!

Overall, my experience at Hanjin Hostel was great. The place seemed a bit run down but it's very clean and comfortable. (Plus, it's affordable, the quality of the rooms in the pricier hotels around that area are not much better. Trust me I speak from experience. At least Hanjin Hostel has unlimited hot water!). We felt completely accepted by Mr. Kwon and really enjoyed the time we spent with him. Hanjin and its employees definitely made our trip worthwhile. They were helpful and friendly and really took good care of us while we were there. Be sure to ask Mr. Kwon about tours (if you want to go explore on your own, he'll give you maps and detailed directions to where you are going) and definitely get to know the staff. They are delightful and might even make you some delicious korean food! I found a home away from home at Hanjin and definitely recommend it to anyone who really wants to experience what GyeongJu and its people are all about.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

As "Hanjin" was very highly recommended in various guide-books and websites, we thought, we'd give it a try. Our stay was definitely all right, but did it live up to its reputation? Hmm, not really, I'd say! Let me quickly sum up:

Positive:
Mr Kwan replied to my E-mail very promptly and confirmed a room within a day.
Free WiFi available in the room (although the speed is not really reliable).
The location next to the bus terminal is pretty good.
Mr Kwan does have some great advice, what is going on in Kyongju, what to do, how to go there, etc. He has a map for you which is kinda helpful. Just make sure you don't rely on the map's scale...

Negative:
The website we googled was outdated and so the prices were also higher than advertised there. (We paid 40.000 W for a double room.)
The linked E-mail address on the website didn't work. You actually need to type the address that appear (correctly) on the website.
Rather old.
The hostel closes at about 11pm. If you arrive back later, you will probably have to make a call from outside Hanjin, using your own phone (roaming charges!). Knocking at the door didn't help in our case.

I have clicked "I would recommend" below, but only, because I don't know any alternatives, I COULD recommend. There are plenty of "Motels" in the neighbourhood, though, so I'm sure that you can find a better value.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Macau, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I contacted the owner Master Kwon directly thru email to book the rooms and he replied within the next day. He can speak English, which is great.

Master Kwon is an "interesting" character; he's a master of martial arts and in the lobby there are pictures of him when he was young. He showed us his nunchucks, sandbag, and kendo swords. Apparently you can ask him for a live scorpion show too, but it's only available in the summer. Master is very nice and very helpful; he'll provide you with maps and guide books of Gyeongju, advise you on where to go, how to go, where to eat, what to eat, and where to buy.

We were there on X'mas eve and he even had a little party in his room.

The location of hostel is great; ~1min walk from the bus terminal. It's a little difficult to find initially because it's not on the main street, but once you know where it is, it's very convenient to get around. There is a big supermarket just down the street. It's within walking distance to Tumuli Park and even the train station.

The only negative thing I have to say is age of the place. Everything is pretty old, so it doesn't seem very clean. There are stains in the bathroom (the pictures speaks for itself), but there's hot water in the shower and heating in the room. There isn’t a TV in every room, but there’s a lounge on the 2/F.

Anyway, we paid 40,000won for a double room, which is acceptable; not the best deal for the quality of the place. Even though my experience was pretty good overall, I probably wouldn't stay there again...it's a little too grubby for my personal liking.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the grubbiness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hanjin Hostel? Share your experiences!