“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

173-1 Noseo-Dong, Gyeongju, Gyeongsangbuk-do 780-932, South Korea   |
amsterdam
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The hostel looks already strange from the outside (on the wall (!) the owner quotes guests that obviously liked his hostel) but once you're inside it's horrible. The rooms look very unclean and very old (before 1950??). The wall paper was "taped" several times and looks ugly), at one wall in our room there was fungus growing. The bed was a mattress standing on some water boxes (!). Fortunately we had at least air conditioning in our private room. But other guests complained that there was no air conditioning in the dormitory, one guy sleeped by choice on a couch in the floor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We only stayed one night at this hostel, and that was enough. At 40,000 won a night for a double room, it was overpriced.

The whole place generally felt as if it had seen better days. The bath was too small to use, the bathroom was outdated, the WiFi signal was too weak to even connect to in the room, the room door was flimsy and the walls were ridiculously thin: we could hear everything next door. Our room did not seem particularly clean either. On the plus side, there was a garden and a small kitchen, where we had dinner, but this place could seriously do with some renovation or a lowering of price.

We had initially wanted to stay at the Sa Rang Chae, to which we turned up without a reservation. The owners greeted us warmly and looked after us whilst they looked for available rooms. Unfortunately they were fully booked. I know this is not a fair judgement since we never saw any of the rooms there but I felt a lot more comfortable in the ten minutes that I was at the Sa Rang Chae.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days and must say I truly enjoyed myself. The staff at Hanjin are great and definitely made my husband and I feel welcome from the beginning. The owner, Mr. Kwon speaks fluent english and will help you with anything and everything! Don't be afraid to ask! He is the kindest and most knowledgeable man you will find in Gyeongju! Without him, we wouldn't have known where to start! Thank you Mr. Kwon!!

The place seemed a bit old but it is extremely affordable! Our room and bathroom were clean and they graciously supplied us with anything extra that we needed. We hung out with the staff and other guests on the rooftop at night which was fun. This place is very homey, personal, and I truly felt relaxed here. We could not have asked for better hospitality from Mr. Kwon and his father. They are really awesome people! Hanjin is my husband's new favorite place and he is already planning another trip to Gyeongju with our children. Hanjin Hostel and Mr. Kwon are absolutely great and we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed at Hanjin for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay more than we initially thought we were going to. There is no doubt that this place is very much past its prime - the decor is extremely dated and worn and fading pictures of the 1980s antics of Mr Kwon and the guests adorn the walls. However, this is part of the charm of the place.

The hostel is now run by Mr Kwon Junior, who is friendly, helpful and speaks excellent English, although Mr Kwon Senior is still around too. When we arrived, we were given a good map and lots of information about the area, what the best things are to do, and when to do them. We pretty much followed Mr Kwon's itinerary and got the best out of our stay in this beautiful town. He also very kindly helped us book a ferry to Japan by trying to book online and then calling the company for us as it was all only in Korean.

When we arrived and checked in, our first impressions were that the hostel was quite dingy, but there is a friendly vibe there that we enjoyed. There is a roof terrace and small communal area indoors where people gather to drink and chat in the evenings, so we were able to meet a few fellow travellers during our stay. We also made use of the small kitchenette and ate in the hostel too.

There are plenty of motels around for similar prices (if the lonely planet is to be believed) if you want a more upmarket experience, but if you would prefer to stay somewhere that feels a little bit like student digs, then this is the place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and it was the dirtiest place I've seen coming from India and Southeast Asia: our room was covered with hairs, bathroom was not cleaned for a long time, the kitchen was sticky and dirty, we only used it once.
The owner however is really nice and also the other travelers we met there where great. There is a not very charming roof terrace where we sat and had nice chats. Thats why I would stay there again and hope it was only our room which was a mess.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Uijeongbu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I stayed at the Hanjin with my girlfriend and two of our friends for the weekend. It was a nice place. We booked the private rooms with private bathrooms. Clean and cozy.

It's a very cheap cab ride from downtown (maybe 3000 won or so) or a 15 minute walk.

Mr. Kwon knows English and can tell you everything you want to do. Super nice guy. Also, there is no more curfew (I read somewhere online that there is a 11pm curfew).

Nice place. Good people. Good price. Good vibes. and... Hot Water!

I'm going to stay again, next time I visit Gyeongju!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
cpy2377
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

It was my 2nd trip to GyeongJu and the owner of Hanjin Hostel, Mr. Kwon, made it even more enjoyable for me than my first visit to GyeongJu a few years ago. My friends and I rented a a couple of rooms for 3 nights and 4 days. I contacted Mr. Kwon through e-mail and he got back to me very quickly about the rates. My reservations were made and Mr. Kwon gave me directions on how to get there from the bus terminal (it's literally 1 min away).

My friends and I arrived at the hostel and were greeted by Mr. Kwon himself. He showed us to our room and then invited us to have tea and hang out. The place did seem pretty old but as far as I could tell there are no problems with the place. The rooftop is a good place to hang out with friends, socialize with other guests, and enjoy the fresh air. The interior of the place is pretty old but everything was clean,smelled nice, and worked properly so we didn't really mind. I learned that the place has been around forever and they have kept most of it in its original condition so it's kind of an historic spot.

We went on a tour around GyeongJu with Mr. Kwon on our second day. He speaks perfect english and is incredibly funny which made the tour really enjoyable. He took us to beautiful places all over GyeongJu. It was awesome!

Overall, my experience at Hanjin Hostel was great. The place seemed a bit run down but it's very clean and comfortable. (Plus, it's affordable, the quality of the rooms in the pricier hotels around that area are not much better. Trust me I speak from experience. At least Hanjin Hostel has unlimited hot water!). We felt completely accepted by Mr. Kwon and really enjoyed the time we spent with him. Hanjin and its employees definitely made our trip worthwhile. They were helpful and friendly and really took good care of us while we were there. Be sure to ask Mr. Kwon about tours (if you want to go explore on your own, he'll give you maps and detailed directions to where you are going) and definitely get to know the staff. They are delightful and might even make you some delicious korean food! I found a home away from home at Hanjin and definitely recommend it to anyone who really wants to experience what GyeongJu and its people are all about.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hanjin Hostel? Share your experiences!