“Nice hotel, not so convenient location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Chosun Busan

You added The Westin Chosun Busan to your Saves list
The Westin Chosun Busan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   67, Dongbaek-ro, Haeundae-gu, Busan 612-600, South Korea   |
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Busan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shanghai, China
“Nice hotel, not so convenient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at The Westin Chosun Busan for 5 nights and got upgraded to one of their suites. The room has an ocean view, and it was quite large and spacious. It is also located next to a beautiful park and also next to the Busan Aquarium.

The only complaint was the female hotel concierge is not knowledgeable about the activities/ places to visit for the guests. We come to their desk to ask for places to visit and recommendations for things to do, and the female concierge was not able to recommend us anything.

We also had food poisoning case during our trip there and we asked for recommendations of pharmacy/ doctors located around the hotel that is nearby. She get back to us about 45 minutes later with an information for the hospital. If I need to go to a hospital, I would check it myself from the Internet. But I was desperately asking for a pharmacy store that is nearby the hotel and she wasn't able to provide us with the information.

The breakfast itself was another bad experience as we travel with a 5 year old who eats slow and their breakfast time closes at 10 am. When we came in late, and stayed past 10am, the female manager keep coming to our table and keep telling us that they are close. We feel very unmcomfortable and unaccomodated that they keep chasing us out saying that they need to clean up. In the end, I decided to stay in the room with my son and forego our complimentary breakfast since we feel that we are not welcome to eat there.

Although I have to say that if you need information from the Westin hotel, ask for Harley Pyo (he is the Concierge manager) as he helps us to arrange our transportation to Muju Resort, and he even helps us to find the transportation for us to go to the resort. We feel that he provides a superb and personalized service to us. Even when we arrive and the driver was going to ask for more money, the Westin concierge was able to clarify the issue and in the end it was resolved nicely.

Although the location of the hotel is not that convenient to the "happenings area" at night as most shopping mall in Busan closes at 8pm, it is a nice hotel to stay in if you love to stay close to the beach and don't mind the distance from the city. If you come to Busan,I suggest to stay close to Samyeon metro area (ibis hotel or lotte hotel) as the shops there closes quite late about 10pm and there is a major shopping street close to the station.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean facing room, very beautiful view daytime and nighttime,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jen K, Manager at The Westin Chosun Busan, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for staying at The Westin Chosun Busan.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

We at the Westin Chosun understand the importance of fulfilling each one of our guest’s expectations and it greatly concerns us that you may have a negative impression of us.

We are sorry for the problems you encountered from the concierge and the breakfast restaurant. Also, we appreciate your good comments on our chief concierge Harley Pyo and his personalized service. Your comments have been shared with our associates and the correct measures will be taken to prevent any similar occurrence in the near future.

We look forwards to providing you with better services on your next visit at the Westin Chosun Busan.

Best Regards,

Sang-jo Park
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Westin in Busan has without any doubt the best views of the region. The view over Haeundae Beach is absolutely amazing. The walk on the boardwalk is amazing. The size and comfort in the rooms is good. The staff is professional and friendly. However time is taking its toll of this place. This place really needs to be upgraded/renovated to match the expectations of a Westin Hotel. However for my next visit to Busan, I will go back to this Westin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel is located on a promontory overlooking the famous Hyundae Beach. Walking distance to restaurants fronting Hyundae Beach and also Busan Aquarium. Got a room with sweeping views of the beach and sea and it was fantastic. All the amenities and services of a 5-star hotel. Breakfast was extensive and tasty.

Used Busan as a base to explore the historical city of Gyeongju. Busan Station is aproximately 30 minutes away by taxi and Hyundae Station is a mere 5 minutes away by taxi.

Will stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot, especially to Asian countries. Even in S. Korea, I've been to many cities. Westin Chosun is my most favorite out of them all.

Location - Fantastic!! Great place to stroll in an adjusent park or by ocean. Rooms are clean, beds are awesome, service is unmatched.

I now stay there even I I need to go to Ulsan for company meetings. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2012
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel definitely deserves all the raving reviews on TripAdvisor. As a Platinum member, we were upgraded to an ocean-facing room on the Executive Floor. The room is well equipped with a Nespresso machine, complimentary water, and even a desktop! The airport bus from Busan Airport drops you at the entrance of the hotel, so if you're heading to Busan via flight, the airport bus is a very convenient option. And if you're thinking of touring Busan via the City Bus Tour, the nearest bus stop is the Nurimaru stop on the Haeundae tour, just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel has a door on its basement level that leads you directly to the Haeundae beach, which is extremely pretty. Service at the hotel was great too. It was a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Request for an ocean-facing room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The room I got was a deluxe room with an ocean view. The view is part ocean and part Haeundae beach and facing sunrise, so since this trip was in winter, I got to see sunrise from the comfort of my room, so I can't really complain. Loved the view.

Hotel lobby is small, but nicely appointed. Check-in was fast and painless. Nothing much to say here, when you walk into the hotel, you could see right through the window at the beach past the the lounge bar.

Room is smaller than what I'm used to. But still comfortable enough not to require tripping over luggages. Amenities include a nespresso machine, bottles of mineral water and the rest of the usual hotel stuff. Nespresso capsules are limited to 2 per day, after which 2,000₩ are charged to your hotel bill. Sometimes I don't understand this cheap strategy. Its not a cheap hotel to begin with, don't think a few dollars per room will make much difference. But hey, perhaps they do waive this limitation in the suite rooms, so if you're a VIP... then again VIPs would not be complaining. Comes with the standard Westin Simmons mattress, which guarantees a nice night sleep. I didn't like the usual pillows that are usually too big and requires me to fold it into half to increase the height and make sure the edges are where my neck is.

Room service menu consists of, against my expectation, mainly Korean and American fare. American means burgers, salad and steak. No Indonesian Nasi Goreng or Singapore Fried Beehoon. And I do find that refreshing for once. And that's not a complain. However since I'm in Korea, I'd like to try out the fresh seafood around Haeundae rather than sticking to room service or hotel restaurants, so I confess I didn't try the quality of the items on offer at the Westin.

The door of the room doesn't block any sound at all. So in the morning when the families check out, kids would be crying and running all over the corridor. And for some reason they always run to and from the elevator 1000 times. Ok if you are immune to sound in the kids range of frequencies. Otherwise make sure you don't sleep past 10am. Or the large pillow makes for a good sound block.

The bathroom is again, small but functional. There's no shower cubicle. Just a tub and a basin. Don't mean to make it sound cramped, it is not. Like I said, functional. The best measure of a good hotel is the hot water. Here the hot water is consistent and during a 15 min shower I did not get any fluctuations in temperature. If its any use, it also comes with a Japanese-style auto lavatory thingamajig built into the toilet seat. Not that it's on my criteria of must-haves.

Bottom line: In a town seemingly devoid of boutique hotels that are close to the beach, this one makes up for it. Nice hotel, as usual I normally end my review at 4 stars for hotels I like. 5 stars I leave for something truly magical.

Room Tip: Ocean View!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dongducheon, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

as far as location, this hotel has it - you can walk out the ground floor door and walk down steps to the sandy part of Haeundae Beach, perhaps the most famous beach in Busan, or you can walk down the "boardwalk" along the beach, that runs right alongside the hotel, and only go a few paces to get over into the rock, even more beautiful part of the coastline. This really is the prettiest section of one of the prettiest resort beach areas I've ever seen.

As far as amenities, this hotel has that too; we had the upgraded room with free access to the executive lounge, where they do a pretty awesome breakfast buffet in the morning, tea and drinks and snacks throughout the day, and I believe a happy hour in the evening. We also had access to the spa and pool and fitness center; those facilities aren't the absolute best in the world, but they are very good, and most anything you do anywhere in there has you looking out through the glass walls over the beautiful beachfront views the whole time. That makes it really more special than otherwise.

The rooms are beautiful; I was told this hotel was built in the 70s, but if so they definitely spent money wisely on a well managed renovation or upgrade, because the whole place looks and feels sleekly modern and well preserved. Even getting a room away from the beach, as we did, gave us stunning views of the huge bridge and beautiful buildings and a marina/canal type affair. The rooms also come equipped with American and it looks like Chinese as well as Korean power outlets, and the beds are big and soft and comfy. They even provide an entire computer in the room, if you didn't bring your own, as well as wireless access. The service is excellent and the staff seem to speak much better English than at other hotels in Asian countries I've been to, to the point where we felt confident that any issues we brought up would be promptly and professionally addressed.

Not everything was perfect, however. The bathrooms for some reason had plain porcelain tubs with effective but rather plain shower heads, and though the toilets were nice, with the fully automated bidet attachments that Korea is so famous for, the overriding impression that I got was of a three or four star bathroom in an otherwise five star hotel. The towels also were quite thin and small and decidedly not amazing, and the robes could have been bigger and softer as well.

They also have a minibar in the room with soft drinks and beer that are cheaper than what you would pay at the bar in the lobby, but only because the bar in the lobby charges such exorbitant prices. Think ten to twelve dollars for a small cup of really good tea, or fifteen dollars on average for a pint of nice draft beer. They even have a sign in the bathroom that a new government regulation prevents them from providing free complimentary toiletries, so you pretty much have to bring your own shampoo and so on in order to avoid the hassle of making a special request and then perhaps paying for it, I'm not sure. This may be due to requirements because of their "Eco-Friendly Hotel Certificate" status, but other hotels usually don't operate like this.

Bottom line is, the hotel is pretty awesome, but not perfect. The restaurant lunch buffet is absolutely amazing if you've never stayed at a place like this before, but some of the other waterfront hotels around Haeundae Beach are just as good if not better. I would stay here again but I'm also planning on first checking out The Paradise Hotel and Casino because it might be better, for example.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the beach for the best view. also it's probably a good idea to ge...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Chosun Busan? Share your experiences!