“Traveller BEWARE!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 49 hotels in Albany
Concord, North Carolina
“Traveller BEWARE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I'm not sure where to start with this but here goes. The outside of the motel was in terrible shape, 2 foot weeds in the lanscape, trash all around the vending machines, etc. At registration, I was not asked to give an ID so there was no verification for my credit card.

We had asked for a non-smoking room. When we opened the door, a musty smell, either of smoke or mold kinda slapped us in the face. The first thing we visibly noticed was that the beds were extremely low to the floor. Not really a problem but if someone has back issues, getting in and out of bed might be problematic.

I went to put some of our bottled waters in the fridge in the room. The fridge door was ajar because the ice in the freezer part was so thick, it extended out the fridge door and it would not secure. I used a screwdriver to try to chip away at some of the ice but to no avail. And because of this, about an inch of water was at the bottom of the fridge.

Next was the bathroom disaster. Half the tile grout was clean and the other half was completely molded. There was visible mold on the shower head and the white shower curtain was literally green about 40% up from the bottom. Probably hadn't been cleaned in months if not years. Toilet seat was not screwed in so it just slid around. There was a mouse hole at the bottom of the door and the lock on the door did not work. Though the outside window was opaque, there was no curtain for it. Overall, the place was just nasty.

My son pulled back his sheets and there was hair on the bed. The sheets on both beds were crinkled as if they hadn't been washed or pressed. There was food left on the floor from a previous tenent. Trying to find something of value, we tried the TV. Batteries on the controller were dying, reception was blurry and there were about 10 channels which had absolutely no sound.

I was hoping for a somewhat decent breakfast in the morning but that didn't happen either. There were frozen waffles that had thawed and were very "soggy". The syrup container was crusted over so much the flap wouldn't close. The orange juice came from a "juice machine" and was nothing more than watered down orange drink. There was no milk for the cereal and the microwave "sticky bun" was as hard as a rock. There was just 1 apple in the fruit basket and only 2 kinds of cereal to choose from. Even though we got there when they opened the breakfast, there were crumbs on the tables from the day before.

Then the janitor came into work. He looked like, well...sketchy to say the least. When we finally packed the car and got out of dodge, he was standing outside a room he was cleaning and he was smoking. Maybe that would explain the stench when we first arrived.

Overall, I would give this a NEGATIVE 10 on a 10 point scale. I was looking for a simplistic, inexpensive place to crash for the night but ended up in a place that no doubt is a health hazard. I don't understand why Super 8 allows their name to be on this place and I don't know why the health department hasn't burned the building down, or at least closed it down. I have made it a point that I will never spend another night in a Super 8 motel ever again. It would be better for our health if we slept in our car.

I would suggest to avoid this place like the plague because you just might catch it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Alex1579, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Albany, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
we would like to apologize to you for all issues you experienced. All issues were addressed and taken care of. Again we would like to apologize to you.

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Other reviews were spot on, except it was pretty pricey for being the worst in the area. Bed was ok, nothing else. Night clerk rather talk on the phone in Arabic than answer my basic questions. Rooms need a total overhaul, parking lot full of holes, rooms in poor condition, holes in walls and ceilings. But the TV DID work! And the morning clerk was very nice. Super 8/America...what happened to you these past few years??

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Alex1579, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Albany, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Front desk was addressed with issues of being on the phone. Housekeeping staff was addressed with any or all issues you may have experienced during your stay. I want to assure you all issues were taken care of. Again we would like to apologize to you.
Little Falls
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The chain lock was broken. Repairs were needed all over, door handle hole in the wall, many many minor repairs, needed paint, scared to walk on the carpet barefoot. No alarm clock. Bathroom had a hair in the shower. Even better, there was a used washcloth hanging on the shower curtain rod. Water pressure was terrible and mostly the water was COLD. One of the bedside lights didn't work. Thank goodness I got there late and left early so I just slept, showered, and left.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Alex1579, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Albany, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
we would like to apologize to you for all issues you may have experienced during your stay. I want to assure you all issues were addressed and taken care of. Housekeeping and maintenance staff was addressed with all issues. Again we would like to apologize to you.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow. Where to begin? As I leave the parking lot of this hotel (if you could even call it that), I'd like to start by saying DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

Please continue reading if you dare.

Well to start, we arrive in the parking lot and are welcomed into a room. Not a bad start but It all goes down hill from there. The first thing we notice is the location. I was afraid of being robbed, shot, and buried in the creepy neighborHOOD behind the hotel. First thing we notice in the room is th smoke we smell in a NON-SMOKING room. Its almost as if they slapped the non-smoking sign on 2 minutes before we arrived. Next, the tv was all fuzzy, half the stations didn't have sound. As I move to the bed, I find hairs and fuzz all over the place with wrinkled bed sheets and pillow cases. The bathroom may have been my favorite part. Mold and grease all over the sink, mirror, and shower. I couldn't bathe because of green mold everywhere. It was DISGUSTING. The fleas were very polite guests in our room and didn't bother us too bad. Thank goodness it was only a one night stay, but as we left and did a final search for everything, we found a brownie sitting behind the TV stand for nobody knows how long. This is easily the worst Super 8 I've ever stayed at and probably the worst hotel ever. From the feeling of being shot at, to the mold everywhere, to the fleas, I'd give this a 1/7882 stars if I could. I will never stay here again. I may never stay at a Super 8 again. Please for anyone who has gotten this far in reading, take my advice, pay the extra 20 dollars and stay in any other hotel in this city.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Its the cheapest hotel in area $11 less than motel6 across street. Not the horror house everyone speaks of but not good either. Very basic and to the point but it's a super 8 so... Bathroom ghetto. Surprisingly has new flat screen TVs!! Breakfast suuuuux!!!!! All in all ehhhhh

• Stayed July 2013
we would like to thank you for staying with us. We would like to apologize for any issues you experienced during your stay. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our breakfast. Again i would like to apologize to you.
West Seneca, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was the first time I have ever stayed at a Super 8 and will definitely be the last. We reserved a room with a King size bed, and received a room with two doubles. After returning to the office to get the room we reserved, we were given a different room with two double beds. Both rooms stunk like cigarette smoke, and neither my husband or I would use the shower because the bathroom was ro filthy. The chair cushions had stains on them, and I slept on top of the covers because the sheets looked funky. We could not get out of there fast enough in the morning. We would have been better off sleeping in the car.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!