I'm not sure where to start with this but here goes. The outside of the motel was in terrible shape, 2 foot weeds in the lanscape, trash all around the vending machines, etc. At registration, I was not asked to give an ID so there was no verification for my credit card.
We had asked for a non-smoking room. When we opened the door, a musty smell, either of smoke or mold kinda slapped us in the face. The first thing we visibly noticed was that the beds were extremely low to the floor. Not really a problem but if someone has back issues, getting in and out of bed might be problematic.
I went to put some of our bottled waters in the fridge in the room. The fridge door was ajar because the ice in the freezer part was so thick, it extended out the fridge door and it would not secure. I used a screwdriver to try to chip away at some of the ice but to no avail. And because of this, about an inch of water was at the bottom of the fridge.
Next was the bathroom disaster. Half the tile grout was clean and the other half was completely molded. There was visible mold on the shower head and the white shower curtain was literally green about 40% up from the bottom. Probably hadn't been cleaned in months if not years. Toilet seat was not screwed in so it just slid around. There was a mouse hole at the bottom of the door and the lock on the door did not work. Though the outside window was opaque, there was no curtain for it. Overall, the place was just nasty.
My son pulled back his sheets and there was hair on the bed. The sheets on both beds were crinkled as if they hadn't been washed or pressed. There was food left on the floor from a previous tenent. Trying to find something of value, we tried the TV. Batteries on the controller were dying, reception was blurry and there were about 10 channels which had absolutely no sound.
I was hoping for a somewhat decent breakfast in the morning but that didn't happen either. There were frozen waffles that had thawed and were very "soggy". The syrup container was crusted over so much the flap wouldn't close. The orange juice came from a "juice machine" and was nothing more than watered down orange drink. There was no milk for the cereal and the microwave "sticky bun" was as hard as a rock. There was just 1 apple in the fruit basket and only 2 kinds of cereal to choose from. Even though we got there when they opened the breakfast, there were crumbs on the tables from the day before.
Then the janitor came into work. He looked like, well...sketchy to say the least. When we finally packed the car and got out of dodge, he was standing outside a room he was cleaning and he was smoking. Maybe that would explain the stench when we first arrived.
Overall, I would give this a NEGATIVE 10 on a 10 point scale. I was looking for a simplistic, inexpensive place to crash for the night but ended up in a place that no doubt is a health hazard. I don't understand why Super 8 allows their name to be on this place and I don't know why the health department hasn't burned the building down, or at least closed it down. I have made it a point that I will never spend another night in a Super 8 motel ever again. It would be better for our health if we slept in our car.
I would suggest to avoid this place like the plague because you just might catch it!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Wyndham, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Super 8 Albany reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.