“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Syracuse, New York
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We (DD 9, DS 9, & DH) stayed at Fairfield Inn Albany for 1 night on our way to Lake George. We had never stayed at a Fairfield as we are part of the Hilton Honors system. We however, got a great rate on Priceline and I'm am so pleased we did. The location was excellent. Less then a mile off 87 & 90, directly across from SUNY and w/in 3 miles of two large malls. We were greeted at check in and the man even offered ideas for local places to eat. Our room was on the first floor. It had 2 queen beds, small coffee maker w/coffee fixings, 2 side chairs, a small desk w/plenty of plugs for electronics, and bathroom w/tub. We felt the room was clean and spacious but could have used a fridge. There is a microwave in the lobby to use w/cold water & fresh coffee. The bath products were Paul Mitchell which was a nice touch. My children used the pool which was good size and fairly warm. I loved the large pool towels. You rarely see these at hotels anymore. My DH used the gym and found it met his needs. The breakfast in the morning included waffles, scrambled eggs, name brand cereal, bagels, and hot coffee. The woman who worked the breakfast was very pleasant and kept everything stocked. We would not hesitate to stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2014
Bruce V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Fairfield Inn. We are very happy to read that your stay was very enjoyable. Please keep us in mind for your next visit to the Albany area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
hartford, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My daughter's AAU team stayed at the hotel for two nights and I found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be extremely helpful. We booked very early in the year for a May stay and when an issue for my leg occurred, I contacted the hotel and they were very helpful in setting up a handicap room for myself in case I couldn't get into the shower. Fortunately, I didn't need this but it was nice to know that it was available. As for the room itself, it was very clean. The breakfast was good and the kids were in the pool as much as they possibly could be. I would definitely stay here again and I'd recommend it as well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bruce V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Fairfield Inn. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the staff.

We look foward to your next visit and we hope you feel better.
Huntington Beach, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Between a huge AAU basketball tournament going on across the street at University of Albany, graduation weekend for many local colleges and Memorial Day weekend, the hotel was slammed.

Being there alone (my son was graduating college at RPI,12 miles away) I was unlucky enough to get perhaps the worst room in hotel. Not only was it near heavily used stairway, but it was right next to a makeshift fitness room. I was awaken two mornings in a row at 6:00 AM (fitness room open 24 hours) with the whoosh... whoosh... whoosh of the treadmill along with people talking loud on their Blue Tooth headsets while exercising, etc. Paper thin walls, it sounded llike they were exercising in my room.

When I complained after the first night I was told my room was rarely used, only when hotel is booked solid. This should be explained when booking the room. One front desk employee told me guests have complained at 3:00 AM about that particular room, so it definetely has a history.

All the front desk staff I vented to were very nice and Mary, the hotel manager, was particularly helpful and made things right. Since all the rooms were booked, she credited my Marriott Rewards account 6,000 points (3,000 per night) and for my third night (when hotel thinned out) upgraded me to a suite (a Fairfield suite, but a suite none-the-less).

What could have very well been a disaterous hotel stay was made tolerable by the compassion of manager and staff. That's what customer service is all about!!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 217!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Bruce V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Fairfield Inn.We do apologize that you were not able to enjoy your entire stay. We take great pride in exceeding your expectations.

I will pass along your kind words to Mary. Please keep us in mind for your next visit to the Albany, NY area.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here with friend. Checked out the pictures and description online. Pictures must be 5-10 years old. Rooms very old, floors not vacuumed, bathroom tiles dirty and not mopped. A/C didn't work. No fridge in room as described. Nothing fixed or done about it, except got a fridge. PLENTY of other better choices on the street. I should have gone for quality not price.. Yes, got what I paid for. 1 - 1.5 stars

• Stayed May 2014
Bruce V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize that we failed to exceed your expectations during your stay. I have passed along your comments along to our housekeeping and maintenance department. I will be sure to follow up on any issues in your room and throughout the hotel.Please feel free to contact the hotel directly before your next trip to the Albany area.
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed on the 3rd floor. It was very quiet. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Met the standards of Fairfield Inns. The breakfast was ample: hard boiled and scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, toast and English muffins, bagels, Danish, cereal, yogurt, fresh apples and bananas, fresh fruit salad, OJ, cran juice, coffee, tea.
The exercise room was small but sufficient. I didn't use the pool but it was small.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MARY K, Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give a review on your sta with us. We appriciate your time and are glad to hear that your standards were met.
theantimartha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed overnight with my daughter to attend a friend's party. Our room was clean and pleasant, beds very comfortable, temperature in the room easy to regulate. Didn't have time (or suits) to use the pool, but it looked well-kept up and inviting. Complimentary breakfast was better than expected, lots of options, food was fresh and plentiful. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. Several friends were also staying in the hotel and we were able to hang out together in the breakfast room at night after the party. Very pleased with my experience here; while it was nothing spectacular, it was a nice basic comfortable place to spend the night; the only thing missing was an on-site pub or restaurant. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: It's actually set up so that the usual noise generators (elevators and ice machines) aren't...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
MARY K, Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share feedback on your stay with us. I am happy we were able to make your stay a comfortable and pleasing experience.
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Pleasant staff (Glen at check-in was particularly cheerful) at a generally clean, reasonably up-to-date property. It meets all the standards for a decent overnight: Moderately comfortable furniture and bedding, inoffensive decor in decent shape, no surprise noise problems or other shortcomings. Clean grounds, good housekeeping, a clean little indoor pool, a tiny but workable fitness room, free wi-fi and parking ... all of that makes it a good deal.
But beyond that, not much. Think of it as a white bread roll for a burger - it definitely gets the job done with no fuss or muss, but also no flair. Breakfast is a nice convenience offered to guests, but even a Fairfield Inn cheerleader would have a tough time describing it as more than average. Nothing bad, to be sure - but nothing stood out at all, and there's not much imagination in the selection or display.
This is the tough part of this niche of the hotel market: The goal is to be more attractive and reliable than Ramada or the budget chains, but not to get fancy enough to enter the Hyatt Place range. The result is understandably middle-of-the-road.
I wouldn't hesitate to return if I needed to be in the area. But I wouldn't dream of this as a destination hotel, either, and wouldn't have any reservation about staying with a similarly priced competitor instead.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fairfield Inn. We appreciate your kind words about our team and the property as a whole. We continue to work to find ways to exceed our guests' expectations and hope that your next visit will be even more enjoyable.

Been to Fairfield Inn Albany University Area? Share your experiences!