“Good stop for the night.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Montreal
“Good stop for the night.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here while en route between Montreal and Baltimore. Provides the standard amenities from Fairfield: free Internet, decent rooms, decent selection of stations on the cable TV, basic workout facilities, free parking, and a location near the highway (as well as Crossgates Mall). The only thing a bit off was that the pool is right off of the lobby, and the lobby smells of chlorine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
FAIRFIELDMGMT, Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking t the time to fill out a review on your stay with us. I apologize for the chlorine you smelled inthe lobby, we do monitor it and make sure it is at the required level. If I could be of further assistance please contact me directly at the hotel tel. 518-435-1800. once again thank you for your time and choosing to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We were traveling from the East Coast to the Poconos and chose Albany as a good stopover location. The hotel is located next to the SUNY campus, so seems quite secure and comfy.

The first room we were checked into we immediately noticed smelled of smoke (cigarettes -- yes, even in Marriott properties....). The clerk at the front desk ("Kevin") happened to call up after we had settled in to see if all was okay, and I mentioned the smoky smell to him. He offered to switch us to a different room, which we took him up on after deciding that we didn't want the have smoke smell transfer to our stuff.

Kevin did an excellent job of accommodating our needs, checked out the new room first, brought us the keys, and checked on us to see that all was okay.

The hotel itself is starting to show its age, but was comfortable and clean and neat. The parking was good, access was good, and the breakfast was fine. Too bad they did not have a laundry room, but we were able to use that of the adjacent Town Suites? hotel.

Keep staff like Kevin around -- it makes a difference!

Room Tip: Always get an upper floor room, less footsteps from above
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review on your stay with us. I apologize that you had to switch rooms after you checked in, but i am also glad to hear that Kevin took good care of you and that your issue was resolved. Once again thank you for your time and choosing to stay with us.
Ham Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is a nice hotel, clean comfortable but no fridge in the room. There where young guys from a basketballteam running in the hall and making a lot off noise after complaining they go to sleep but for the rest it was ok.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to hear for the most part your stay was well. I do have teams that stay with us occasionally and noise guest we do patrols in the hallways in oder to keep the noise down and additional walks if we get guest complaints. TThank you again for your time and choosing to stay with us.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here because of its relatively easy access to/from I-90. It is an older Fairfield that could use some refurbishing but the rooms were reasonably clean and the hallway noise was not a problem as long as the A-C fan was on. Unfortunately, despite the large number of hotels on Washington Ave (all of which face the SUNY-Albany campus), restaurants in the area were surprisingly and inexplicably hard to find. In fact, it took a GPS unit and a lot of right/left turns on some local (and questionable) streets to find places near a large mall on Wolfe Avenue. Turns out the hotel front desk will provide you a map of how to get to these places if you ask for one – something we would advise you to do if you are new to area. All in all, nothing extremely good or bad to report about the hotel -- this was about as average an experience as we have ever had.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on your stay with us. i am sorry to hear that you had a hard time finding a restuarant. There are about 20 restuarants within a 2 mile radius and a whole lot more within 5 miles. we also have pre printed directions by area and category. Our area is growing and constantly changes so the GPS system might not be upgraded yet. Once again thank you for your tme and choosing to stay with us.
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We travel a lot and have been to many hotels in the same category (Marriott and others). I have to say that I appreciated the little touches at this hotel. The staff was very courteous, asked about my stay when I left, and overall being very polite.
The included breakfast had a lot of choice, breakfast area was very clean and efficient. It seems like the hotel manager does a good job of being on top of the little things.
Overall great stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review on your stay with us. I am glad to hear that we meet your expectaions especially in staff service. We strive to make all our guest feel welcome and cared for. Thank you again for your time and choosing to stay with us.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

It is a pretty standard Fairfield Inn so I am not going to go in depth about the room. It is standard Marriott quality, clean, comfortable and spacious with nothing luxuruous about it nor anything shady. If you want a good room at a good price with free parking and breakfast for the kids, then this is it.

I will point out all the negatives and positivies specific to this location.

1) Parking is plentiful
2) Location is great, right off the I-90 I believe and across the street from SUNY Albany campus

Negatives:

1) Elevators are hidden in a "secret" location
2) No Food Network, really Marriott?
3) Breakfast includes individually wrapped omelettes and sandwiches instead of Jimmy Deans offered in other locations.

Overall, this is a no frills hotel at a good price. I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to do the review on your stay with us. I appreciate all responses we get from our guest, this is the tool that helps us understand our guests needs. I am sorry you could not locate the elevators off the lobby we have signs leading to it, but we will see if there is a better way to dispaly the signs. The TV package we have has 40 channels unfortunately the food network is one of the ones that are not in the package although we are tacking what channels are missing and the demand for them. I certainly apologize for that we did not have the Jimmy Dean sandwiches that day. They are still a part of our menu as well as the omlettes, only reason there probably were not ther was due to them being backordered by our supplier. Once again thak you for your time and choosing to stay with us.
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I were only staying one night as my daughter was attending her Freshman Orientation across the street at SUNY Albany. I had requested a king sized bed when I made my reservation a few weeks before the stay. We arrived at 2pm (there were maybe 5 cars in the parking lot). When I went to check in I was told there was only a handicapped room on the first floor available. I was not told the room did not have a king sized bed. When we got in the room, the bed didn't honestly even look to be the size of a queen bed. Since we were told this was the "only room left" we figured we had no choice. I found it quite odd that at 2pm they were claiming to be out of rooms when there were only 5 cars in the parking lot. I saw people check in after us and I'm quite sure they didn't get a handicapped room with one of the worst beds I have ever had to sleep on in my life.The mattress was so insubstantial, that when you laid on it, it caved in like there were no springs in the mattress. I am an average sized person. It was ridiculous and I got no sleep. I also paid a rate as if I had been given a king room. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review for your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expections. I will certainly follow up on all your comments to make sure we meet our guests expectation. We will confirm room types at time of check in. Once again thank you for your time and choosing to stay with us.

Been to Fairfield Inn Albany University Area? Share your experiences!