“Above and beyond service, even though we never got there” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Above and beyond service, even though we never got there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is one of my stranger reviews, because I'm writing about the help and caring I received from the Holiday Inn Express Sales and Catering Dept (E Hammond in particular) when I needed to cancel a business conference at this hotel. I've used them in the past to run some of my continuing education courses and everything was top-notch: good service, good food, everything done right. But that's not today's review. This is about a hotel with a signed guaranteed contract, allowing me to cancel within two weeks of the course, without any penalty at all. For any of you in business, this is an exceptional display of good will from a big chain, that didn't have to show me the kindness they did. Is it good business too? You bet. You better believe they are first on my list in upstate NY for my next conference. I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany-Western Ave University, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words and appreciation. Evan is a great member of our team and I am happy to hear that he was able to assist you with your event, or rather, the cancellation of your event.

We try very hard to develop relationships with all of our clients and truly believe that working with our loyal customers is not just good business, but the right thing to do.

We look forward to seeing you next time and thank you again!

Kathy Tabora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Canandaigua, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked a room at this hotel based on reviews here on tripadvisor, and it was a good choice. The room we stayed in was very nice, clean, and roomy. There was a fridge, and microwave. I rather liked how the ironing board was built into a little enclosed closet. It made it so easy to set up and use. Not a big thing, but one I found very convenient. This was a great location for us, as we were visiting the College of St. Rose for Family Weekend. There were restaurants and stores nearby, and it was very close to the state capital. They also had a wonderful breakfast and breakfast area. We didn't take advantage of any of the other amenities. Can't go wrong with this one.

Room Tip: There were rooms right near the elevators. I'd ask to avoid those.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I love those irons, actually have one in my home!! :)

Thank you for the comments. We hope to see you again next time and you get to enjoy more of our amenities.

Rockford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

You never really know what you're getting until you get there if you've never visited before. We read scads of reviews on-line to find a good place to stay in Albany. We actually wanted something downtown or a B&B but nothing seemed to click for us. We saw the good reviews for this place and since we were only in Albany for one night decided to book here. We were so happy that we did!

The place is beautiful and very clean. There is free parking and an elevator. This sounds like Hotel Basics 101 but you don't always find this with this type of property. The gentleman at the desk was very nice and helpful. There were carts available for us to bring up our luggage. The room was HUGE and comfortable. The bed was especially nice. The TV was big. The bathroom was luxurious. I'm telling you, it was GREAT!

In the morning we went down to a free breakfast; the food was good and there was a nice selection. Everything was fresh and much better than any free breakfast I've had with this type of property. Do not worry about staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor and are also thrilled that we were able to provide a great stay!

Our owner always says things like ..."do the basics really well and the rest will come. " Great to get affirmation of that!

River Edge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed most of August on business and felt both comfortable and secure mainly due to the friendly and knowledgable staff and management. They have a very nice BBQ on Tuesdays for their guests outside on the patio, besides free breakfast each day. The pool area is very clean as is the Health Club. In all, the staff takes very good care of the hotel, from the grounds outside to the bedrooms inside. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the time you took to post a review! We are so very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Just to let you know, now that the weather is turning, we have moved the Tuesday night BBQ inside with a varying menu.

We hope to see you again soon!

buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here for work and was very impressed with this place. Easy to find (although rush hour traffic on Western Ave is just terrible, so time your dinner accordingly!), the rooms were immaculate and modern and the staff was simply the best. I asked the young man who checked me in where a good steak house was b/c I wanted filet oscar and he not only recommended a place, but gave me a menu. If you're a priority club member you'll get a few little perks which is nice. Check in was quick, my information was accurate and check out was as easy. Even the charge for incidentals on my CC was instantly 'returned' to zero.

I am a picky eater, so it is unfair for me to rate the breakfast that is provided b/c I didn't eat it. But, I will tell you that the food was fresh and the area was clean. There are snacks in the lobby the night before; again, a nice touch. You can buy items from the front lobby like ice cream, etc.

Security was good; I felt safe even traveling alone. Each entrance way is very well lit so the parking lot is not dark at night.

Only drawback was that I could easily hear the other room doors opening and closing in the main hall throughout the night- but not a big deal or anything that would prevent me from staying again.

I will certainly recommend this hotel and stay there again the next time I am in Albany. Thank you, HI-Express staff, job well done.

Room Tip: If you want the ground floor, the area near room 112 does NOT smell like chlorine. The other wing on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany-Western Ave University, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Glad you enjoyed your visit and really appreciate the time you took to post a review!

This will be the first think we share at our morning meeting tomorrow.

Just a tip, next time.... let us recommend some of the restaurants to the east of us. Much easier to make that right turn at supper time and there are some good ones! :)

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I used to stay here frequently for work and had nothing but excellent experiences, but on my current trip the hotel is not as good. The free wifi is cripplingly slow and does not work, after logging in it loads forever on the ethostream website and never finishes. For me, good Internet connectivity is almost as important as a clean bed or functioning telephone, the Internet connection did not work on a windows laptop, iPad, or smart phone. The desk had a telephone number to contact with internet support issues and it was an automated press 1 for blah blah blah type thing so I just gave up and went to mcdonalds wifi down rhe road. The Monday night manager meet and treat sessions are also gone, which is a real shame as it was one of the main perks of the hotel. Aside from this the bedding, temp controls, and bathrooms were all fine so travelers unconcerned about Internet should be fine here. I'm giving a 3/5 because a hotel is a business area in the state capital should have functioning Internet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience during your most recent visit with us. It is guests such as yourself that enable us to stay keyed in on areas that need improvement or have slipped.

I will be emailing you privately so as to get some more specific information so that we can target internet issues as well as make sure the correct number is posted and given out (it should never be an automated attendant!). But I am especially concerned as the issue happened across all your devices. We share your belief that Internet should be fast and efficient and hassle free to connect to.

Additionally, I am very sorry that we did not let you know about the change to our Monday night Meet and Treat. Due to attendance we moved it to a Tuesday night BBQ and attendance soared! We are doing a Monday night football gathering at the moment and will keep the Tuesday night BBQ as long as whether permits!

Again, thank you for helping keep our eye on the ball. the customer service ball!

northern virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

the rooms are comfy & clean...the breakfast offerings were tasty & presented well...but the friendly & helpful staff is the best part! oh yeah, honorable mention for "value"...you get a lot for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hi! Once again we here at the hotel are blown away by our guests comments. We truly appreciate the time it takes to post these reviews and to share with Trip Advisor your experience. The staff takes special pride in all these comments and as a Manager, well, there is no better way to give accolades then to pass along direct form the guest!

Thank you so much!

Kathy Tabora

Been to Holiday Inn Express Albany-Western Ave University? Share your experiences!