“Great value, clean but a little smelly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Broadway, Albany, NY 12207 (Formerly Red Carpet Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Albany
New York
“Great value, clean but a little smelly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The title really says it all. Great location in heart of downtown. The price was right and I found the staff to be polite and helpful. The breakfast was wonderful and is top notch. The only problem with place was although the room was very clean, it did have a stale smell to it. My 3 co workers had the same complaint for their rooms too. I asked at the front and was told that the room was a "smoking room" and that was all which were available. Anyway, if you do stay here, make sure to get a non smoking room.......

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dee E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for your review. We do have smoking rooms and unfortunately cigarette odors may linger. In the future please give us a call ahead of arrival and we will do our best to accommodate your smoking preference.
We are pleased that your were happy with overall the cleanliness and courteous manner of our team members.
We hope to welcome you on your next trip to our area.

Happy and Safe Travels!~

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here twice in the course of a week. I stayed in two different rooms. The bathrooms in both rooms reeked of mildew so much that I made sure to keep the bathroom door closed during the stay. In both rooms the bathroom fan was weak and ineffective--here you see the cause of the smell. I suspect there is an engineering problem with the fans that cannot be fixed.
The hotel has good points: it is close to downtown, charges only $5 for downtown parking, and the staff is friendly. Breakfast is the standard Holiday Inn Express fare.

• Stayed September 2013
Greetings and thank you for taking time to write a hotel review.

I have shared your comments with our housekeeping and engineering team.
We will look into the issue and make whatever changes are needed.
We also hope that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay. We'd appreciate the opportunity to host you on your next visit.
Just call ahead and ask for Dee when making your reservation.

Happy and Safe travels!~
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

All the things that people complain about when searching hotels- cleanliness, room size, bedding, bathrooms, capable, courteous staff, hotel amenities, location, meals, commutability... forget about it.
This HI Express in Downtown Albany has you covered.
The lack of proper kitchen or bar was made up by three things: front desk carry-out menus, where you could order any type of food delivered to the hotel, walking distance bars and eateries, and the awesome morning breakfasts ( if you can think it, they have it).
Smiling, happy and courteous staff- from the front desk to the shuttle drivers to the cleaning staff. Just a really great group of people.

Room Tip: Make sure you look both ways getting off the elevator to check room numbers. I made the mistake of o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello there,

We agree with you 100%, "stop looking just book it" will be our new tag line.

Our team is happy you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we offer. On your next visit we can also suggest some fun and exciting things to do in the area. There are bike trails, hiking, golfing, festivals, horse racing and plenty more options.

Thanks for staying with us and for your review.

Safe and Happy travels!~
Howard Beach, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in August as a stopover on our way up to Saratoga. It more than met our needs while we were there. I do not ask for much when I go to a hotel... A clean room, a helpful staff and a comfortable bed. This hotel delivered on all of them. In addition, we were given a free shuttle to anywhere we wanted to go in Albany which was a great perk. Overall, we were very happy with this hotel and will look into staying here again next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings and thank you, we see many guests over the summer months that are heading to the Saratoga Race Track, Lake George or futher into the Adirondacks and it's our pleasure to host them and you as you take advantage of all that upstate NY has to offer.
We pride ourselves in providing a clean room, hearty breakfast, comfortable atmosphere and top notch customer service.
We look forward to your visit next summer.
Safe and Happy travels!~
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express was a very good value and a comfortable place to stay. My room had a desk suitable for one person to eat at and comfortable swivel chair, a large overstuffed chair and ottoman (which could function as a little table), a large flat-screen TV, lots of lamps, desk phone and bedside phone, a coffee maker, a full-sized ironing board and iron. There was no full length mirror, but the mirror over the desk was fairly large. The bed was quite comfortable. Both the room and bathroom appeared to have been recently refurbished and were very clean and in good order. Parking was free. The free breakfast buffet included little plain or cheese omelets (but the cheese tasted like processed cheese spread), bagels, breads, tasty sweet rolls, French toast, and biscuits so that one could make a breakfast sandwich, one type of breakfast meat per day (sausage or bacon while I was there, but the sausage was gristly), instant oatmeal, various juices, good coffee. The staff was wonderfully helpful and friendly. There is also a wonderful shuttle van that will take you just about anywhere you need to go. There is a clean-looking pool and fitness equipment, neither of which I used. Compared to other hotels and their parking fees, this was a great value and I HIGHLY recommend it. I gave 4 stars instead of 5 only because it doesn't have a restaurant -- one doesn't always want to go walking around for food after a long day.

Room Tip: The hotel is near the expressway. The sound didn't bother me at all, but a very light sleeper m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dee E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Greetings and thank you, our hotel was completely remodeled in 2007 and we have been making improvements every year since, we are glad to hear that our efforts continue to be noticeable by our guests.
Thanks for the breakfast tip, I'll pass it on to our team and see how we can make it even better.
All our fitness center equipment was upgraded this summer so it'll be here waiting for you on your next trip to our area.
Our local shuttle will take you to restaurants, attractions and events within 5 miles or so to the hotel, just call ahead and schedule your trip.

Thanks again for for being our guest and taking the time to write about our hotel.

Happy and Safe Travels!~
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I took a trip to Albany with a friend who was reporting for training for a new job and stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn Express on Sunday, September 8, 2013 primarily because it was near the bus station. We didn't have reservations, however, our check-in was smooth, fast, and the young lady was very courteous and helpful. She didn't assume because we appeared to be a couple checking-in one room that we wanted to sleep in the same bed. She automatically asked if we wanted a room that had 1 or 2 beds. We checked in around 2:30 am for which we were allowed to have a late check-out with no additional cost. She also assisted us to order out for food and notified us when the food was delivered before she sent the delivery guy to our room. The room was beautiful, clean, and comfortable. Since we were given a late checkout, I wanted to go to a Marshalls so we spoke to Anthony to get travel directions to the nearest Marshalls. Anthony was a jewel. He was very personable and although I felt he went above and beyond to provide us with assistance, I got the feeling that this was Anthony just being Anthony. He has impeccable customer service skills and his rapport with us as we'll as other guests while we waited for a cab, is quite noticeable and comforting. Anthony called the cab company back because he felt that we were waiting too long for it to arrive. He didn't just call a cab for us and feel that he did his job, next! He was conscientious and cared about our waiting time. He is a people person and because of it I recommend that anyone who has to stay in Albany, stay at the Holiday Inn Express. I hope that you get a chance to meet and interact with Anthony. My financial services business allows me to be mobile. I look forward to traveling to Albany now because I know just where I will be staying on future overnights or weekends! Anthony you deserve a gold star. It will be because of your disposition and character that guests like me will love to return to this hotel again and again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings and thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
I have shared your review with our team and gave Anthony a special shout out due to your review. Being centrally located to the bus and train we definitely see alot of tired guests that just want a place to relax and unwind. We Love being that hotel for them and for you. Whether its a quick check in or information on where to eat, play and shop. Our team is ready and eager to assist.
There is some great shipping malls not too far from the hotel and Marshall's is an easy commute as well.
Glad you enjoyed your visit and hopefully we'll see you on your next time time passing through.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel is located in a central location, so IFF you have to be in Albany, I found it ideal. The front desk staff could not have been more welcoming or friendly--truly polite, caring and professional, all at once. They recommended a local restaurant, Jack's Oyster House, which was within easy walking distance and had excellent food and service. I stayed on a Sunday night and the town was largely boarded up, but Jack's was open and serving. The hotel staff offered to have their van driver take me wherever I wanted for dinner; the same van picked me up from Amtrak station which is a short distance away, but too far to walk.

Granted, my room had a lovely view of a highway, but I picked this property for its proximity to my means of travel (Amtrak and Trailways). I had to get on a Trailways bus the next morning, and the station is next to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dee E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Greetings and thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy our amenities and your dinner experience at Jacks. Our shuttle service is a great way to get around and leave the hassle of parking behind.
Should you return to our area we look forward to the opportunity of having you as our guest.

Safe and Happy Travels!~

Been to Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown? Share your experiences!