“Great evening staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Apollo, Pennsylvania
“Great evening staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I went to Albany for a personal trip (sporting event) with my son and two of his friends- When I initially called I booked 25 rooms for three nights and the staff had no problem accommodating our group. When we arrived for check-in, everything was set up and everyone who had called in to reserve their room was able to get a room but we had one family who misunderstood the process and because the hotel had sold the remaining rooms in my block, this party was unable to secure a room at this property. I was called to the check in desk to help resolve the issue and I was told there were no rooms available but they would call around to nearby properties to see what could be done- The gentleman at the desk was able to find a room in a nearby Marriott property, instructed the hotel clerk to honor our group pricing and also gave the guy 5000 MR Points for the inconvenience that he had caused- As for the hotel- No issues- quite enough, rooms were small but clean- kitchenette was very clean as was the bathroom- We will book again next year-
Thanks for the great service-

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us a Five Star review of your stay at the TownePlace Suites Albany University Area. I am happy that we were able to resolve the unfortunate reservation issue and that our hotel met your group's needs. I look forward to your team's next trip to Albany!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel to attend a lacrosse tournament being held in Saratoga Springs. When me and the family checked in, we where taken back by how dirty the room was. There was dirty hand prints down all the doors, dirty kitchen dishes and pot holders, dirty broiler pan in the oven, etc. It was really disgusting!

I went to the hotel desk and told them. They lowered by my rate from $179/night (yes $179) to $129/night. They provided me some extra points and said that they would "super clean" my room the next day. I went away satisfied that they where trying to fix the problem.

When we returned late the next day, the room simply had new towels and beds made. In fact, the trash was never emptied in any of the trash cans. My kids and I where afraid to walk in the room without shoes -- really was gross! Stains on the couches and chairs. I proceeded back to the front desk and I was assured that they would comp me the room for our stay due to our inconveniences; however, they needed a manager to over ride the computer. I was told to stop by the next day and that the manager would be on shift.

I stopped by before leaving and the desk attendant went and spoke to the manager behind a small partition wall. The said "I did not personally check the room yesterday and that I would need to call the next day and speak to the hotel manager." Yet again ANOTHER MANAGER! I went and left. I was totally ashamed that I paid money for the room. Unfortunately it was 4th of July weekend and we had no other options as the rooms where booked at all the hotels locally.

Beware of staying at this hotel. I have also alerted Marriott about this hotel. Surprised it is in the chain!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. I was disappointed to learn about your stay and the poor way in which it was handled by my team and you have my sincere apology. We are taking steps to ensure that future guests do not have a similar unacceptable experience. I have reached out to you directly via the address that you provided in your email to Marriott.
Portola Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located for getting around the Albany area and sits in a row of similar hotel choices on Washington Ave. I've stayed in 4 of them so far and the TownePlace Suites is a very good option. Was in town with my sister and her husband so the two bedroom suite was a perfect choice for us. The bathroom is a little awkwardly set up with the sink in one space and toilet/tub closed off. You wind up with two small spaces which are not very comfortable rather than one decent size bathroom. I get the idea of multiple people using the two spaces but in reality only one person at a time feels comfortable in the area. Our room unfortunately was located directly over the outside door which is opened via card key and slams quite loudly after guests have entered or exited the building. Everything else about the TownePlace Suites was positive. The people at the front desk were always pleasant and helpful, even went so far as to get me some milk from the kitchen area to go with the cereal dinner i purchased from the snack area. The snacks are plentiful and even included frozen dinners and fresh items so you could, if needed, eat in and survive. Our suite had two comfortable bedrooms with TVs as well as a TV in the living area which works well for a group with different viewing tastes. Breakfast is included in the room rate and it's pretty standard fare: toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt. One bonus is that they have a couple of waffle irons - while i didn't make one, the aroma of waffle cooking lent a great ambience to the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Try to stay as far away as possible from the entry doors in the building across from check-in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the TownePlace Suites. We appreciate your kind words and hope to have you back with us again soon.
Montville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We wanted a "hotel" with 2 bedrooms, at a good price. Found it. 2 BR, each with a queen size bed, kitchen area, living room. Bathroom was small, but very manageable.

Free breakfast was simple - basic breads, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, packaged yogurts, juice, waffle maker. The room was small & seating was tight at times.

Only 13 minutes from downtown Albany. Right across the street from Univ of Albany

Room Tip: we had room 132 - don't take it. It's right next to one of the outside doors, and was a bit...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the TownePlace Suites Albany University Area. I was happy to hear that our hotel was perfect for your needs! I hope that we get the chance to have you back as our guest again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband and I were looking for a nice place for just an overnight trip to Albany and came across this one! Booking our room was fast and easy. The folks at the front desk were very kind and helpful. Our room was very open and fresh looking! Having a kitchen set up is nice! It also has free parking and free breakfast! Since we were only stay overnight we were unable to ck out the pool and workout room. I would recommend this place to anyone! Its a very nice hotel for the price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the TownePlace Suites with the TripAdvisor community. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we have the opportuniy to have you as our guest again in the near future.
Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to Albany to visit my husband's family for almost 25 years. This is the first time we stayed in a hotel. My kids are young adults now and we need more room than their house can provide. TownePlace Suites was the answer. We had a two bedroom suite. There was plenty of room to spread out. With the pull out sofa and the two bedrooms we had plenty of room. The staff was very attentive, handling every request quickly and professionally. We used the fitness room, enjoyed the breakfast and I loved the tea in the lobby all day. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TownePlaceSales, Assistant General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback about your recent stay with us. The feedback we receive from guests help us improve our product and service for our current and future guests. As always, we take pride in providing Excellent Customer Service and our 100% Satisfaction. We appreciate you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations! The tea is always hot and we cannot wait for your return visit!
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had not stayed at a TownePlace Suite hotel before, but have been to many different Marriott brands over the years. This property is fine and was convenient, and would be a good option for a low-cost long-term stay. It's like a scaled-down Residence Inn. I like to shop for food and keep it in the fridge of my room, so I appreciated how this room was equipped. Roomy, clean, and comfortable. The free breakfast was a little sparse but not out of line with my expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TownePlaceSales, Assistant General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, November 9, 2013

Been to TownePlace Suites Albany University Area? Share your experiences!