“Wish I could give this another 1/2 star” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Sterling, New York, United States
“Wish I could give this another 1/2 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The staff at this hotel is extremely friendly. I wish I would have gotten the girl's name at the front desk the two nights I was there, she was extremely friendly and helpful and deserves many kudos for her customer service. The hotel itself is a little outdated however they are doing renovations to the other side from where I stayed so that tells me that they are updating it and that is a very good sign which is why I want to give them the extra 1/2 star. The rooms were very clean as well, just as I stated before seemed a little old. It is a great stay for the money and it is very convieniently located on Washington Ave. a main road in Albany, but not directly downtown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TownePlaceSales, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We will be finished with our renovations in the early months of 2013! I am proud to say that our desk staff are often called 'local experts'. We all love sharing information about Albany and the Capital Region to our guests looking for unique experiences. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future, please stop back when our renovations are completed to see the new look!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My primary complaints with this hotel is the small vanity. Really not enough space at all for toiletries and makup case, etc. My other issue is that I was given a room in an adjacent building, which is ok but for the need to lug your luggage across the parking lot and go through secure entering etc. Also, the breakfast is served in the other building, so you must bundle up exit the building go across the parking lot, and do the same to return. Not at all convenient if you like to gather your breakfast and bring it back to the room to eat while you work, as I prefer to do. Otherwise clean, friendly desk person, and fine for an overnight. The area is desolate at night, smack in the middle of the state government area. There is also a college across the street but I expected it to be busier, but it must be mostly commuters that attend there. Dining is some distance, with a mall about 2 or 3 miles away (Uno - ok) unless you go to downtown. Driving around here though is annoying. Light cycles seem to take forever. Next time I visit the area I think I'll stay on the outskirts of the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TownePlaceSales, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do have two buildings. For future stays just let us know ahead of time if you would like to be in the building with the lobby and breakfast - we would be happy to accommodate that request. Even though we are located directly across from the university, the area tends to be on the quite side. Restaurants are within a 2-3 minute drive and downtown Albany also offers a ton of things to do and is only a 10 minute drive or bus ride away.
South Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very nice surprise. I was visiting my son at college for Family Weekend and thought my other son and husband might be joining me so I had requested 2 beds. As it turns out, I was alone but could have had my whole family with me. I was given a 2 BR suite with a full kitchen, dining area, bathroom and living room. There were 3 TV's in all!

I am a Marriott Rewards silver member and was given a complimentary bag upon check-in with a bottle of Poland Spring water and a bag of Lay's chips.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet even though I was given a room on the front side near a busy road.

The breakfast was fine: pastries, fruit, wafflemaker with choice of blueberry or spice waffle batter, coffee, juices.

I would definitely consider going back here, alone or with my family and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TownePlaceSales, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Our two bedroom is great for larger families. I am glad you enjoyed your Elite welcome bag, we try very hard to personalize all guests' stays. Thank you for staying and I hope to see you again the future.
Jeffersonville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Cab ride away from bars and The Pepsi Arena. No driving. Five minutes away from Thruway. Can't beat it!!!

IF you are coming up to SUNY- right there. If you are coming up for a show at Pepsi or Valentines- cab ride. If you are coming up to shop- bus ride or car ride five minutes. I like this place because it isnt in the middle of all the ruckus BUT you can get to the ruckus very easy. Try to find Bombers Burritos, Cheesecake Machismo and for an awesome beer Mahars- all withing five minutes drive. Plus getting on and off highway to and from shopping very easy. And the beds are great and rooms are clean. Plus the convenience shop and Dunkin Donuts 100' away.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to have fun and cab or bus it back. You are right on one of the main three roads...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would agree with what you said - we are centrally located to most of what the Capital Region has to offer. I hope to see you again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Clean and nice.very helpful staff. Great food options nearby. Loved hardwood floors,kitchen,and separate bedroom. Very quiet location.grat sleep that night.
..............................................................................................

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TownePlaceSales, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for the kinds words. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. My staff and I hope to see you next time you are in the area.
Bayside, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My family of four stopped here on a driving trip for one night. The area around the hotel is fine, but not much in the way of restaurants. The price was right for the hotel though.

Our room was a two-bedroom suite. It had two queen beds in separate rooms. There was only one bathroom, which was just off the living room. My boys do not like to sleep in the same bed, so we were glad to have a sofa bed although it was not comfortable.

Our room was very old with worn carpet that was torn in areas. The kitchen was very nice, but again old. The burners wouldn't stay down so there is no way you could cook on it. The fridge and dishwasher were old as well, but functional.

The breakfast buffet was fine. The staff seemed fine, but no one went out of their way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review, I am glad that you enjoyed our two-bedroom suite. We are currently undergoing some renovations to update out appliances, among other things. Next time you are in the area, I hope you will get a chance to see our new look. Thanks for staying.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

We made reservations here because it was dog friendly. I thought maybe the room would smell like dirty dogs but it was actully nice and smelled good. Our room was a corner room 3rd floor 2bed room suit. Plenty of room for my boys and dog. Nice flat screen TV's and comfy beds. The toilet had a little problem flushing but not that big of a deal. Sheets were not the best thread count but clean and smelled good. They have an area in the back of the hotel to walk the pets w/a doggie station. The breakfast was surprisingly good & free. Kids loved making their own waffels w/all the great toppings.

• Stayed July 2012
TownePlaceSales, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany University Area, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Our staff was happy to have you and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again on any future visits to the Capital Region.

Katie Devlin
Front Desk Supervisor

Been to TownePlace Suites Albany University Area? Share your experiences!