“Albany Marriott great stay even for Saratoga Springs visit” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Rochester, New York
“Albany Marriott great stay even for Saratoga Springs visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We just returned from a great long weekend visiting Saratoga Springs but staying in Albany!. The Albany Marriott Hotel which is on Wolf Road has a GREAT special while they are remodeling. For the price of a general room plus a few dollars extra, my husband, 16 year old son and I were able to stay Friday through Monday and get free breakfasts, the buffet was probably the best hotel breakfast, 2 free tickets to Saratoga Race Track per day and free race programs, and a bottle of EXQUISITE champagne! The Albany Marriiott hotel staff are the friendliest we've ever encountered at a major hotel. They bent over backwards and were geniunely friendly from the restaurant wait staff to the chef, to the housekeeping staff, manager. The drive is about 1/2 hour from Saratoga Springs but is an easy ride because Route 87 is just a couple of miles away. By exiting at Exit 14, you can easily reach the Race Track. The shops and restaurants are also fun in Saratoga Springs. But the room prices for even the "family motels" are very over priced with race season. The Albany Marriott advertises their Race Specials starting at $179 per night including all the features I listed above. Plus, it's a family friendly hotel with both an indoor and outdoor pool, great exercise room, business center with 3 computers and good parking. The beds and rooms are very comfortable. An added plus is the laundry room available. We just picked up our son from camp. Of course he had NO clean clothes. The front desk told us of the laundry room which was inexpensive ($1/ wash and $1/ dry) but included laundry soap and bleach if you so desired. This is a great deal! Linda

• Liked — Great friendly staff; great food; comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

I stayed here for three nights on business. The hotel indicated that it would soon undergo a refurbishment. It certainly is badly in need of one.

The rooms were old and sort of musty, with old carpeting and furnishings. The bathroom was small and at the end of my stay, the towel rack fell off of the wall. Most annoyingly, the HVAC unit is extremely loud. It shuts on and off frequently and can not keep the room at a constant temperature. To get to sleep, I had to turn the unit off completely, because I did not want it rumbling to life every 15 minutes.

The gym is terrible--one of the worst I have seen in a long time. The indoor pool area seemed a bit grimy; it was certainly no place to relax.

I had lunch at the hotel one day, which was fine. ABout what I would expect from a hotel of this caliber.

The only saving grace of this property is its helpful and accomodating staff. When I was there, they were working with a full house, but the staff did not act overworked.

If this hotel gets a good renovation, it will be a much better property.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

Had a two night stay at the Albany Marriott. Very mediocre hotel in need of some serious updating.

The good: The staff for the most part was reasonably friendly. They also have a free shuttle from the Airport which was very nice. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The bad: Where to start. The room I had was in pretty mediocre shape. Some mold in the shower and some wallpaper falling off the walls. Not the worst hotel i've ever stayed in, but definitely not up to Marriott standards I am used to. My room had two double beds. One set of sheets had some large stains on it. The other did not. The shower in the room was the worst shower I have experienced in years. Very bad water pressure. Took ages to shower, though ample hot water.

The food at the hotel I ordered from roomservice was the worst I have ever eaten at a hotel. The eggs were inedible. The hashbrowns were cold and soggy in the middle. If you stay here, skip the room service.

Plus the hotel has no wireless in the rooms, only wired internet - and they charge you $10 a day for it.

If you need to stay in Albany, I would not put this hotel on the top of my list. There are a few brand new hotels in town and better hotels near the Airport.

Stayed July 2007
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

Stayed one night. The staff is professional and unbelievably helpful and nonplussed by crowds. Our phone reservationist was especially resourceful in getting us an early check-in. We had surprisingly wonderful food, beautifully presented, served at the bar (Thai dumplings, barbequed chicken quesadillas), and the night-shift bartender was knowledgable and attentive. In the morning, despite the huge breakfast buffet crowd, the waitstaff for our large party was unflinchingly courteous and efficient. Amazing service. (This hotel should not to be confused with the Courtyard by Marriott right across the street). Only one downside: no in-room safe.

• Liked — professional staff, pool/whirlpool and excellent food/bar
  • Disliked — no in-room safe
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

I like this Marriott. The property is older and the lobby is totally boring, but the rooms are renovated and the beds are quite comfy. However, it's pretty expensive as far as Marriotts go - I've never stayed here for less than $150, and I don't think it's worth that much. I'll stay again when the rates are a little better.

Stayed August 2006
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott over a weekend, so arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and departed Monday morning for parts west.

There were lots of graduations in town that weekend, so the hotel was pretty fully booked, and they were busy while I was there. But the desk clerk handles my checkin quite smoothly. Before heading up to my room, I checked with him to make sure that the room was not too far from the elevator. He checked, and needed to re-assign me to a different room. I'd put in a comment on the website when I booked, but it had been cut off.

So I got to the room (826), which overlooked the back of the hotel (and the still green pool). The bed was nice and firm, and the toiletries are Bath and Body Works, with a pleasant orange ginger scent. The arrangement of the room was good as well.

I tried the restaurant my first morning and room service the next, and found the eggs benedict and coffee to be of good quality and heated enough both days.

There is also a little shop in the lobby that makes Starbucks coffee and sells sundries, paperbacks, local maps, and sweets. This came in really handy for me when I was in a hurry, needed a coffee, and didn't want to stop again somewhere else.

My only problems were technical ones. I could not get the internet to work until the 2nd evening I was there. I'm a technical writer by trade, so am not a dummy, but it took some doing to get hooked up. You have a choice of 2 different types of cables, and I couldn't get either of them to work for some time. Eventually, it connected. But I get very cranky with no internet.

Also, my BIG gripe was the TV. When I went to flick it on ON the box, I noticed that the Power button was completely depressed into the button cavity and was loose and floating around in there. So I had to turn the set on with the remote. However, the loose connection in the set caused a buzzing which made me have to hike the volume up to hear the program.

I reported the problem with the TV my 2nd day, and they immediately sent an engineering person up to check it out, but I told him they were going to need to replace the set. He seemed to agree when he looked at it. I told him not to worry about it, since I was checking out in the morning-- just to replace it for the next guest. He said OK.

So management is aware of the problem. If you check into 826, and the TV is fixed, you'll know the hotel cares about its guests. If the crummmy TV is still there, you'll know there is an issue with dealing with guest complaints.

You're right near a lot in this location. Just outside the hotel driveway across the street is an Olive Garden, a Red Lobster and a Burger King.

If you go out the main driveway and turn left onto Wolf Road, you have lots of other options for shopping and dining. There is a Macaroni Grill on the left, and a Borders and a mall further down, also on the left.

I had a delicious dinner at the Barnsider Restaurant on Sand Creek Road. Turn out the hotel drive and make a left on Wolf, then a right on Sand Creek.

Stayed May 2007
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

I only stayed one night in this place, but it was quite comfortable.
The staff people were friendly and efficient and very helpful. They let me check into my room early with no problem. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was quiet. The AC was kind of noisy, but I fell into a deep sleep, so that all worked out fine. About the only negative was that the bathroom. The grouting was moldy and needed to be replaced. And the bathroom door was literally separating because of the bathroom moisture. But these things are minor in my mind. I would stay here again, no question. The bed was much more comfortable than Holiday Inn which is up the road.

• Liked — The friendly, efficient staff is their best attribute
  • Disliked — The bathroom was moldy, and in need of repair
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Albany Marriott? Share your experiences!