“Staff Nice...But Hotel Meh” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Tampa Florida
“Staff Nice...But Hotel Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I think there is something wrong when Marriott brands don't live up to their hierarchy. I've stayed at many of their more moderately priced hotels that were better than this hotel. At some point they should just tear down the older facilities and build a new one. Hotel lobby was updated and very modern but room hallways didn't seem air conditioned, bathrooms small with instruction stickers on shower handles, beds very soft, AC unit in room looked like old motel type. That being said, the location is close to the airport and staff was very pleasant. Concierge lounge had awesome food and very attentive service. We don't need onsite restaurant - so we'll definitely try a newer property next time in Albany.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear cityplaner1234,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Albany Marriott. we a re happy that you enjoyed service at the Concierge Lounge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here for only one night. Our room was clean and big enough, beds were comfortable. My only minor complaint was the lack of free internet. We were able to get two adult continental breakfast coupons which we upgraded to the buffet for $4 each and our 2 children weren't expensive at all(can't recall the price). The breakfast was very good! Worth the price if you do have to pay. The front desk and employees at breakfast were quite friendly. The pool was fun for my son to enjoy and they stay open until 11, which is good for those that get a late start or check in after dinner.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Silly Sally New Jersey,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your families recent trip at our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you had a great time. My entire teams goal is to ensure that our guest always have an enjoyable relaxing time while staying at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you on any future travels to the Albany area. Happy Summer!
Best Regards,
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

There are some nice things about this hotel, but they do not outweigh the bad. First, the good: front desk staff is very nice, lovely terry bathrobes, new shower curtain and nice bedding. That should be enough to rate a "very good." However, the windows are lousy and you can hear the wind whistling all night long. Add to that a very antiquated loud HVAC system that cycles on and off all night and the sound of planes taking off and landing, and you have the Albany Marriott. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear jscottjoplin ,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you have noticed our award winning service that you were pleased with the room amenities. We apologize that AC was not working properly in the room, we will be definitely addressing this issue.

Thank you for staying with us!
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed at this property many times. The last was about 3 years ago. Sad to say it is definitely showing it's age. As a popular spot because of it's proximity to the college, airport and state buildings I am sure it gets a lot of wear and tear. It was clean, I can say that. The old a/c in the room was noisy and leaky. Room amenities were not sufficiently freshened. I may investigate the Courtyard property nearby if it has been renovated more recently the next time we are in the area. I find that with Marriott in particular I must remember to ask when the last time the rooms were renovated before booking our stay. Our recent stays in California in Santa Monica, LA, and Goleta were wonderful. Pasadena was awful. Since the points required for a stay have been on a continual rise, I find myself less tolerant when a property does not meet my expectations.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Brinababy,

Thank you for your response. As you have indicated the hotel is located very conveniently, close to the restaurants, airport and colleges. We would be happy to welcome you back.
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

'll start by complementing the staff. They were great just like most all Marriott staff. The location has been in need of a facelift for a while, and the parking situation is not what you'd expect from a full service Marriott (filthy and quite dark). Our room was a bit dated too (especially the bath) although it seemed to be clean and we had water in the fridge when we got there. Someone mentioned the new weekend practices for gold elite, and we were fine with the breakfast buffet, although a concierge lounge would have been good in the evening. For a full service price, it comes off as a budget location.I'll try the courtyard next time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you Ian D for taking the time to give us some feedback about your recent stay, at the Albany Marriott. Our entire team’s goal is to provide the up most positive guest experience and I am glad to hear that you were able to experience this with the service our team provided. I do apologize that the stylish décor of our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. We do value your business and thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you while traveling to the Albany area. We do hope to see you on any future travels that bring you back.
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I have stayed at the Albany Marriott on 2 separate occasions. The rooms are nice and clean, but during my second stay there on the last morning of the day I was leaving as I was dressing I saw a bug crawl across the pillow of one of the double beds in my room. I did report this to management upon my checking out. I feel this is unacceptable and do not wish to stay at this hotel again if I go to Albany. It's sad because this hotel is a Marriott and it's conveniently located to my customers that I need to visit when I am in Albany.

Room Tip: The AC does not seem to work well in the hallways of the upper floors. The parking deck is a bit cre...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Gwendolyn,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your second stay with us. During the summer season there is sometimes the odd bug manages to enter the hotel and I am sorry this happened to you. Cleanliness is one of our number one priorities and we have a great team in our housekeeping department and I often hear compliments about specific housekeepers who do an outstanding job. I hope that you will give our hotel another chance next time you're in the area and not take this one experience to represent us as a whole.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Is it overpriced for Albany, yeah maybe a little. Things to improve: Need a small refridgerator as a standard thing. Also, no HBO or premium cable channel??? Seriously, that has to be fixed. Now for the plusses.

Nice up to date bathroom with more upscale shampoos and soaps, not your typical Paul Mitchell the lower scale Marriotts give you. It was nice having a bar near the lobby where I was able to grab a late bite and have a couple of beers. Bed was comfortable and the room was nice. Not sure about the WiFi fuss. I am Gold level and my WiFi was free and worked just fine. It was a nice upgrade from staying at the Springhill which happened to be sold out, as was everything in Albany at the time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Stephen W,

We appreciate our feedback and continued loyalty as a Gold Member.

Thank you for staying with us.

Been to Albany Marriott? Share your experiences!