“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Albany
New York
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed at this property many times. The last was about 3 years ago. Sad to say it is definitely showing it's age. As a popular spot because of it's proximity to the college, airport and state buildings I am sure it gets a lot of wear and tear. It was clean, I can say that. The old a/c in the room was noisy and leaky. Room amenities were not sufficiently freshened. I may investigate the Courtyard property nearby if it has been renovated more recently the next time we are in the area. I find that with Marriott in particular I must remember to ask when the last time the rooms were renovated before booking our stay. Our recent stays in California in Santa Monica, LA, and Goleta were wonderful. Pasadena was awful. Since the points required for a stay have been on a continual rise, I find myself less tolerant when a property does not meet my expectations.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Brinababy,

Thank you for your response. As you have indicated the hotel is located very conveniently, close to the restaurants, airport and colleges. We would be happy to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

'll start by complementing the staff. They were great just like most all Marriott staff. The location has been in need of a facelift for a while, and the parking situation is not what you'd expect from a full service Marriott (filthy and quite dark). Our room was a bit dated too (especially the bath) although it seemed to be clean and we had water in the fridge when we got there. Someone mentioned the new weekend practices for gold elite, and we were fine with the breakfast buffet, although a concierge lounge would have been good in the evening. For a full service price, it comes off as a budget location.I'll try the courtyard next time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you Ian D for taking the time to give us some feedback about your recent stay, at the Albany Marriott. Our entire team’s goal is to provide the up most positive guest experience and I am glad to hear that you were able to experience this with the service our team provided. I do apologize that the stylish décor of our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. We do value your business and thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you while traveling to the Albany area. We do hope to see you on any future travels that bring you back.
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I have stayed at the Albany Marriott on 2 separate occasions. The rooms are nice and clean, but during my second stay there on the last morning of the day I was leaving as I was dressing I saw a bug crawl across the pillow of one of the double beds in my room. I did report this to management upon my checking out. I feel this is unacceptable and do not wish to stay at this hotel again if I go to Albany. It's sad because this hotel is a Marriott and it's conveniently located to my customers that I need to visit when I am in Albany.

Room Tip: The AC does not seem to work well in the hallways of the upper floors. The parking deck is a bit cre...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Gwendolyn,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your second stay with us. During the summer season there is sometimes the odd bug manages to enter the hotel and I am sorry this happened to you. Cleanliness is one of our number one priorities and we have a great team in our housekeeping department and I often hear compliments about specific housekeepers who do an outstanding job. I hope that you will give our hotel another chance next time you're in the area and not take this one experience to represent us as a whole.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Is it overpriced for Albany, yeah maybe a little. Things to improve: Need a small refridgerator as a standard thing. Also, no HBO or premium cable channel??? Seriously, that has to be fixed. Now for the plusses.

Nice up to date bathroom with more upscale shampoos and soaps, not your typical Paul Mitchell the lower scale Marriotts give you. It was nice having a bar near the lobby where I was able to grab a late bite and have a couple of beers. Bed was comfortable and the room was nice. Not sure about the WiFi fuss. I am Gold level and my WiFi was free and worked just fine. It was a nice upgrade from staying at the Springhill which happened to be sold out, as was everything in Albany at the time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Stephen W,

We appreciate our feedback and continued loyalty as a Gold Member.

Thank you for staying with us.
Saint Cloud, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

The service was great and the room was very clean. Only complaint would be that they charge for internet and no free breakfast. This Marriott's most expensive hotel in the area and they nickel and dime you. 13.00 a day for internet?? Really. I'm surprised they didn't charge me for parking.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Ed S,

Thank you for your review, We are delighted that you were happy with the stay with us. We do have some rates that include breakfast, so you can inquire about those packages, when you will make reservation for your next stay.

Thank you for staying with us.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Simply not what I have come to know as Marriott quality. The ribeye was less than good as well. This must be a franchise Marriott as it just seemed to be outdated. Normally, the quality of both the food and service are impeccable. That was not what we encountered here. We even had to look for the short order cook at the breakfast buffet, which was overpriced for what they had. The pool was just so so as well. Don't really know what else to say...just so so.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear AFairAssessment,

Thank you for taking the time share your experience with the Albany Marriott. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued guest; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Haven't stayed at this hotel since our daughter was undergrad 20+ years ago. A cookie cutter Marriott, and not a whole lot has changed in 20 years. The room is average, bed is comfortable, as it should be, front desk is perfunctory, but not overly welcoming, bathroom is clean and air conditioning is quiet. There is an indoor and small outdoor pool. Nothing exceptional, just average.
One surprise was that there was not open restaurant when we arrived at 9:30. The restaurant was set up for breakfast and nobody was around. There is a Starbucks/bar in the lobby, and we were able to grab a coffee and very, very limited dessert selection (with a 23.00 tab). We like Starbucks and although the barista was courteous, I wish there had been more selection and all prices posted.
As I have said in many numerous reviews of this area (have been coming to this area at least 6 times a year for 25 years), there are many quality hotels in the area to choose from at competitive prices. Choose wisely.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time share your experience with the Albany Marriott. with the feedback of the rooms, service and overall amenities that were available while you were in ouse. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory as that is not our goal and appreciate your feedback.

Been to Albany Marriott? Share your experiences!