“Good hotel but noisy air flow...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Nanaimo, Canada
“Good hotel but noisy air flow...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The staff were all very friendly and efficient - absolutely no complaints. The bed was typical of Marriott hotels - very comfortable and soft. I was attending a conference at the hotel as well as staying there and the conference lunches were super, much better than what is served in the restaurant. Be warned that the restaurant menu is limited and no vegetarian choices. There are lots of restaurants close by that offer more choice and vegetarian choices, but if its winter it would be an unpleasant walk. My main complaint was the noise made by the air flow appliance (not sure what it's actually called). The thing absolutely roared and woke me up regularly. My final night I finally thought to call the front desk to see if there was a way to turn it off - the wall controller and the controller on the device didn't change anything - and I was informed that there was a knob that could be turned underneath the thing - I crawled around on the floor till I found it and that worked, all was silent, but then I was left with no air movement. Don't know if I would stay there again because of the meat heavy menu and the air flow problem. Other than that, it was all good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate you taking the time to give us valuable feedback about your stay. I am sorry that you faced some noise challenges during the night by your heating unit. We appreciate your feedback on this so we can look into this. Again, I thank you for you continued loyalty to Marriott and specifically the Albany Marriott. If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know, I would be happy to help. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed there overnight for a baseball weekend with 15 fourteen year olds. The hotel was extremely clean and very quiet at night (even with a prom going on).
The rooms were clean, the beds were comfy, and the bathrooms were spotless.
The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer and the bellman who helped us find a restaurant for 30, was a home run. Having free wifi was a plus here too.
The breakfast (sunday) buffet was very good, a bit overpriced, but it had fresh fruit, hot and cold items and the wait staff (ladies) were terrific, friendly, and funny.
Overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time share your positive experiance at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your stay with the Albany Marriott was enjoyable.
Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Our entire team looks forward to seeing you again on future travels to our area.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Nice people but an old physical plant. Furniture was not conducive to sit and work on. Hard hard chairs. Room service was good enough, but only after three trips to get the order accurately delivered. I understand that concierge lounges are not always available on Friday nights, but I was told that I could have breakfast for 750 Marriott points...first time I have ever heard that and not exactly an equivalent work around for my Marriott status. I arrived in town early and the front desk folks were kind enough to check my baggage and have it waiting for me in my room when I returned later in the day...a nice touch. My room was quiet. The bed was comfortable. There is a diner less than a half mile down the road on the same side of the street, so you have a less expensive and more comprehensive menu available to you if you so desire.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Trainmann 334,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Albany Marriott.

You indicated in your review that you were not pleased with the new Marriott program for the weekend for our Gold and Platinum members. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
Kirkland, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Let me start by saying I only stayed one night at this property so my experience could be entirely unordinary... I booked this hotel to cut my trip between Montreal and New York City in half. Marriott rewards sent a few gift cards to meet me at the hotel a week in advance but upon my arrival I was told that there was nothing waiting for me. I insisted that they were there as I was called by a lady from the hotel a few days earlier confirming that they had arrived. I told them that although I couldn't remember her name (didn't ever expect there to be an issue) I was quite certain it started with the letter C and that she mentioned she had an office. After an HOUR of trying to locate my packages at check-in with no luck, I was continuously told there was no one fitting that description and I must have been confused. Eventually I gave up as my wife and 1yr old son had had enough... It was 10pm.

Before heading up to the room, I asked the front desk to confirm there was a crib in the room as per multiple requests (both on my initial reservation and by phone the day before check-in)... They said "there should be one". Of course, we get to the room and no crib. We called down to be told they would send one up shortly, no apologies. After 45 minutes, our son fell asleep in the bed with us and no one came.

As many other travellers mention, the rooms are incredibly dated. We found the bed to be very uncomfortable and the walls extremely thin... We could hear everyone around us all night. Luckily I didn't have to deal with the internet charges as spending more than 100 nights a year in Marriott properties does come with a perk or two.

The next morning, I woke up and headed down to the front desk hoping for new staff to help me find my packages. The gentleman at the desk asked if I could wait until 9am as there would be more staff to help with my request at that time... Even though I told him we really planned to leave no later than 8am he insisted I push my travel plans to accomodate him.

It was truly an awful experience all around, but again, perhaps I was just unlucky?

The bright points were the concierge lounge was well stocked and had some wonderful staff. They were extremely friendly and eager to please, helping us out by warming our son's bottle, etc.

Finally we were all packed and headed down to check-out thinking that hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards for our trip were lost only to meet Caitlin. She had the packages. I was clearly right about the letter C thing, not sure why no one knew who she was considering she is in management. Also not sure why there were no notes on my reservation about the packages. She was extremely apologetic about my entire experience and handled it like a professional which I appreciate but ultimately the damage was done. Our family trip was off to a negative start.

While I was impressed with Caitlin and the lounge, I will not be staying here in the future and strongly suggesting that my fellow Canadians heading down to the US through Albany avoid it as well... There are too many great properties in the area to risk a similar experience.

Oh yeah, the free parking is nice as well as there is a sizeable sheltered parking lot.

Room Tip: Ask to see if there are any recently renovated room in the hotel... Ours was extremely dated.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kevin C.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Albany Marriott.

You indicated in your review that you were not pleased with the service that you had received. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
Tolland, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

The hotel was clean, but definately dated. As mentioned before, no free Internet in the rooms, which is not unusual for a Marriott, but when I saw that they charged $7 for 10 minuteds of Internet time in their business center, I was appalled. Time to get out of the 90s here and start competing with the rest of the world.

The room was OK, but situauated kind of strange. The toilet was on the wrong wall as was the bed. Had to look sideways to watch TV from bed. Not sure what they are thinking. On the bright side, the room was clean and the service was good. I think this place surviuves due to their conference center.

Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Leopolean,

Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you faced some challenges at our property. I am sorry that we were not able able to meet your expectations. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Nice hotel but no free internet had to use Dunkin Donuts across the street. First time in seveal years I found a hotel that charged WAY TO MUCH for internet next time in Albany I Will stay at Hampton Inn next

Room Tip: If you want free internet access find another hotel
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Willy S,

Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you were not able to use internet connection in the hotel. There is a fee for the usage in full service Marriott, but we are always happy to make it complimentary for the guest. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Probably the nicest staff I have encountered at a Marriott property. Front desk, bar, and member lounge folks are very, very accommodating. Rooms could use an updating. Easy access to highway and airport. Lots of parking. Decent restaurants are nearby. Occasionally the landing aircraft can be a problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Albany Marriott? Share your experiences!