“Best upscale hotel in Albany” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Albany, New York, United States
“Best upscale hotel in Albany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed two nights at the hotel. We were very lucky to be able to get a room because there was so much going on in not only in Albany but with the final weekend of racing at Saratoga and with a 150 anniversary celebration in Saratoga on top of that.

The first night we had loud neighbors and there was noise from planes taking off so I put on the air conditioning in the room and that took care of the exterior noises. The beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was well-stocked with a nice selection of toiletries. There was a single cup coffee maker, wrapped hot cups, packs of coffee and organic tea bags provided. In the lobby during the day there were two containers filled with fruit punch and with lemonade and cups to go. In the morning in the lobby there were coffee urns set out,a hot water urn and a tea bag caddy. There were more than ample self-parking spaces outside the hotel in a covered one level garage.

The hotel is truly in a great location on Wolf Road. Probably any chain restaurant that you can think of is nearby, 2 Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. There is a mall at the end of the street and The Crossgates Mall was about a 10 minute drive with easy access to I-87 N from the hotel.

Saturday night I stopped at the front desk to ask for a local map and inquired about restaurants and Katie (Pachogue,NY) couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. She gave me a map of Wolf Road and everything on it, printed out a map and mapquest to get to the Crossgates Mall and offered to print out something else for me to show me how to get where I wanted to go on Sunday. Even at check-in the woman who helped us was very nice.

I definitely would stay at the hotel again and highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback and comments that we are the best upscale hotel in Albany! As you mentioned we are very close to Saratoga Springs and in a great location for visiting historic Albany and Sartaoga Springs on the same trip. Thanks for recognizing our host at the front desk - Katie. I love hearing positive comments about our staff and I'll be sure to share this review with her. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed two nights for business - the rooms and decor are quite dated, and there is some aircraft noise late and early from the airport nearby. Not much else close by apart from a shopping mall a five minute drive down the road. Room service food was very average and had to move rooms to get wi-fi reception, but the hotel's gym was surprisingly well equipped and the service was good.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. We are currently in the process of updating our wireless service to improve the bandwidth and coverage at our property. As you mentioned in your comment we do have an updated and spacious fitness center, I am glad you were able to get a good workout in while staying with us. In the future if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable just ask anyone of our hosts - we will be happy to help. Thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed 4 nights for a professional meeting, Oct. 1-5. First, the good news:
1. Free shuttle to/from airport and anywhere you want to go, with virtually no waiting. Nice to avoid the need for a rental car. Drivers were always pleasant and knowledgeable.
2. Comfortable lobby bar. Great place to gather with colleagues or wait for others to arrive before leaving for an event or meeting.
3. Meeting rooms were comfortable and adequately equipped. Conference center staff was helpful with requests. Refreshments were set up inobtrusively and on time.
4. All hotel staff that I encountered were very pleasant and helpful.
5. Starbucks in the lobby was useful for grabbing a quick breakfast before the meetings. Free (not Starbucks) coffee also was available.
Next, the things I wish had been different:
1. Though my conference negotiated for free Wi-Fi, I am always a bit annoyed when I see a hotel where Wi-Fi isn't free. That's archaic, these days.
2. I am also annoyed to see "swipe your credit card" on computers in the business center. Though there was a computer for printing boarding passes for free, I just don't see the point of restricting what I suspect is relatively predictable and routine use of computers in the business center. Seems like nickel and diming.
3. The lunch service in the restaurant was disorganized, with people at the same table getting their food at very different times and forgotten items in each order, even though we ordered in advance. Food was good, though, and the wait staff seemed to be trying.
4. I could hear the airplanes going by pretty darn loudly. Fortunately, I grew up near an airport, so I can deal with it. It would be disruptive for those not used to it.
5. Not having a physical disability, I find it inconvenient to have the room optimized for *only* the disabled: The clothing rod in my closet was low to the ground (forget hanging up a dress), the knob for the water in the shower (no tub) was very low to the floor, and the shower head was completely hand held -- no option for locking it in at a height suitable for a hands-free standing shower. The counter by the sink was so deep that I couldn't use the mirror to apply mascara -- a reasonable option would have been to include one of those wall-mounted, moveable make-up mirrors.
6. I couldn't find anything printed in the room that listed hotel services other than room service. It may have been on the TV, which is a fine additional option, but I don't generally use the TV when I travel, and would have preferred a quick, printed reference to see times for free coffee in the lobby, check-out times, pool/gym hours, whether or not there were non-hotel food delivery options, convenience store offerings and hours, nearby stores/restaurants, whether or not there was a local spa working with the hotel, a map, etc. The phone did not even have quick keys printed on the buttons. When I needed to contact the desk, I dialed zero and hoped for the best.
7. It would have been nice to have even a continental breakfast included in the lodging cost. Apparently, there was for those in the loyalty program. The restaurant was expensive.
Finally, the bad:
1. My colleague found bedbugs (confirmed by the hotel) in her room. Ick. The hotel seemed to respond appropriately. But, ick. I'm still scratching just thinking about it. I didn't find anything in my room, but I noticed that I was very itchy when sitting on the couch or lying in bed even before learning of the bedbug incident. I sometimes am mildly sensitive to detergents used by hotels (rare, but it has happened), so I chalked it up to that at the time. I checked all of my belongings and popped everything except paper and electronics into the dryer when I got home, but it still makes me a little nervous that some little expectant mother bug could have hitchhiked in a crevice of my laptop. Did I say ick?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Maine, US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Nothing over the top at this Marriott. One very pleasant interaction with a staff but other than that, nothing above average about this Marriott. The bar area was pleasant- the food I thought was overpriced but the drinks were not. The complimentary coffee only goes to 9am and one morning they took it away at 845am so I missed it. No free wifi in rooms! Room was large and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff on what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. I am sorry the complimentary coffee was taken away early, I will address this with our staff to make sure our guest are provided with complimentary coffee until 9AM. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Bellingham WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is an older Marriott,, but one that is in excellent shape and well updated. We had a terrific night's sleep. The window opened a bit for fresh air, and we had no problem with airport noise even though the airport was conveniently close. One thing we really liked was that this hotel only had 4 regular pillows on the bed, so we didn't have to find a place to store what we think are those big,silly square ones which we never use and just take up space in the room.

The real surprise for us was how great the staff was at every level. The bar/restaurant staff was all one could ask for. Another surprise was how good the food was. The menu had lots of interesting choices which weren't the standard one sees in most restaurants nowadays. We found it difficult to decide which entree to order. The food was prepared to a high standard and artfully arranged--the salads were especially fresh and the dinners were hot and freshly prepared. This is some of the best Marriott food we have ever had. We wish that we had been able to stay more than just the one night to try other choices.

Self parking was convenient and free which is always nice.

If we were in Albany again, we would happily stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel and our staff. We pride ourselves in providing top notch customer service and it looks like we were able to accomplish that during your stay with us. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel. The hotel itself was very clean and in good repair. The rooms were furnished identical to many other Marriott properties we've stayed at--and there's nothing wrong with that.

First the few complaints:

1. What's up with the stinginess with pillows at Marriott lately? Those large square pillows might look nice, but they are not good for sleeping, and we need five pillows between us. Putting only three standard pillows on a king size bed is questionable. My reservation had requested extra pillows which never materialized. Yes, I could have called, but then I would have had to wait for them to be delivered.

2. No upgrade. As a Marriott Gold member, I'm finding upgrades happening less and less often. It was a weekend in Albany, I would be surprised if their suites were sold out. An upgrade would have been a nice move considering there is no concierge lounge open on the weekend.

3. The free continental breakfast is very slim pickings with no protein at all. I can get more selection from the free breakfast at the Fairfield. We ended up upgrading both days. Also service in the restaurant in the morning was very friendly but painfully slow, even with two servers and eight guests total.

4. I tried to check in at around 2:30 and my room wasn't ready. No problem. I checked in and gave them my cell number to call me when it was ready, the call never materialized.

5. I sleep in hotels a lot, and almost always get a great nights sleep. Not here. Both my husband and I slept terribly both nights, but we can't really pinpoint the cause. The pillow situation was probably part of it.

The good:

1. As mentioned, the hotel was clean and in good repair.

2. The room was generally very quiet, there was some hall noise in the evening but it settled down by 11:00 pm or so. We did hear some airplane noise, but it wasn't disruptive.

3. The two ladies from housekeeping who were from Albania were a joy! I don't have their names, but one was in her 30's and the other in her 50's--give or take. They were working the 6th floor on September 21st if that helps to recognize them.

4. Nice indoor pool (didn't use) and extremely well equipped fitness center. Major kudo's there!!

5. The Wolf Road location is ideal.

Would I return? Maybe.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east (the back of the property) might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. We will be recognizing the housekeepers that you mentioned, I believe it was probably Marita and Enverie who were on the sixth floor that day. The availability of upgrades to suites at our property is limited because we only have three suites. When they are not booked we do try upgrade our elite members. Those are bookable through our onsite Sales Department. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.
Lebanon, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had a very pleasant one night stay at this Marriott. I had a issue after check in but the staff did a excellent job correcting the problem quickly and even gave me a free perk that was unnecessary. Theirs always going to be problems but they had the right people working to make it right. 1st floor room, clean and comfortable,would stay here again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. I am so happy to hear that our staff was able to quickly resolve the problem you experienced. Again, thank you very much for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Albany Marriott.

Been to Albany Marriott? Share your experiences!