“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Gratz, Pennsylvania , United States
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel was amazing. Very clean and nice hotel. Service was great from check in to check out. The lobby restaurant was great for the breakfast buffet. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and the location is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed with my son for a lacrosse tournament. Wolf Road is definitely the place to be for restaurants (Buffalo Wagon next to the hotel is awesome) and retail amenities, and the hotel was convenient to RPI where the tournament was, as well as to other Albany area attractions. The park behind the hotel (don't remember the name) was a great place to go for a short run, and later we went over to play some catch. Rooms were great, staff was great, and the indoor and outdoor pool setup was popular with the kids. Only glitch was that work was being done to two of the three elevators, which with a full house of sports teams and a room on the 7th floor, got a bit tiresome by the end of the weekend.

Room Tip: Don't be on the high floors if the elevators aren't working!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very clean and nice hotel. Stayed here with my wife and 2 kids(12 and 9) for a lacrosse tournement at RPI.

Service was great from check in to check out. The lobby restaurant was great for a late night dinner as was the breakfast buffet.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and the location is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tahiti, French Polynesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I only stayed a night at Albany Marriott. Enjoyed nice public space, comfy bed and delicious breakfast, especially the made-to-order omelet station. Good, friendly service at check-in. The room was lovely. However there was dirty water coming out of the bathtub drain when we first turn on the faucet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
West Milford, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Once a year, my wife and I travel to the Albany area to attend a family picnic. Last year, we were very disappointed with a Marriott property in East Greenbush (which also received a negative review from me and which I made a point not to return to), so we were looking for a new hotel to stay at in the area. I generally have a preference for Marriott properties, so, despite the extra 15 minutes or so travel from the picnic and the additional cost, I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, the time and money were not justified.

There are three elevators in the hotel. Only one was working. When I arrived, the front desk at first wanted to give me a room on the first floor. I like higher rooms, so I asked if they had anything on a higher floor, and they did give me a room on the 6th floor. That would have been fine, except that this might have been a good time to mention to me that they were having problems with the elevators. Had I known that, I probably would have opted to stay with the first floor room. Instead, we got to wait for long periods of time for the elevator, sometimes having to wait for a second trip because it was full. Every time we used the elevator, people were crammed in like sardines. It was very uncomfortable and not what I expect when I pay the rates that they charge for a room.

On the first night there, I wanted some ice for a beverage. However, the ice machine on the 6th floor had an "Out of Order" sign on it. So I walked down the stairs to the 5th floor. Same story. Finally, on the 4th floor, I was able to get ice, then had to wait for the elevator again. As I got back to the 6th floor and walked by the ice machine there, a man was filling a cooler from the "out of order" ice machine. For some reason they had put "out of order" signs on machines that worked perfectly, so I got to wander around the hotel wasting time in search of ice.

Also, I found the hotel to be too noisy. There were several high school age sports teams staying in the hotel, which was fine. In fact, we enjoyed watching and talking with some of the kids at the pool. However, it also seemed that there was almost a constant barrage of noise from the hallways and other rooms. On our second night there, around 10:00 or so there was a lot of laughing and squealing in the corridor. I opened the door to find several young girls playing with a soccer ball in the hallway. I'm not blaming the hotel for the fact that kids will be kids, but the construction seems to be such that noise carries very well, and it makes it difficult to relax in the room.

Finally, in this day and age, I find it a bit offensive to have to pay an extra fee to have internet service in the room. Most hotels I have stayed at offer it on a complimentary basis, and especially at the higher rates charged by this hotel, it seems to me that it should be included in the room cost. We are Silver Elite members with Marriott, which means that we can receive complimentary internet service, but the cost was added to the bill anyway. I had to request at checkout that it be removed. I assume that, had I not contested the charge, the hotel would have been more than happy to keep my money. There was no notice in the room or on the bill that, as a silver elite member, I could have the charge removed. Again, not the level of service I expect from Marriott hotels.

On the positive side, the room was clean and comfortable (except for the noise issue) and the clerk at checkout offered me extra Reward points to make up for the inconvenience. I appreciate that, but it's not enough to get me back to this property. We expect to be back to Albany next year for the family picnic, and the search for a good hotel will continue...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Holtsville, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel was clean and conveniently located. Wolf Road offers everything that one would need...there is a mall near by in case you forget something, multiple choices for dinning AND a Dunkin donuts with a drive thru right across the street :)

I had a problem with my AC, called the front desk and went out for dinner. When I returned, the room was icy cool. They were very attentive.

The bar located in the hotel was really nice. It offers pub tables, regular tables and couches so you have your choice. Very comfortable and pleasant atmosphere.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor which was really convenient.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Grand Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife, our daughter and I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel May 17 to 19. After leaving I realized that I had left the charger for my camera plugged in on the desk. When we got to Syracuse we called and the employees, upon hearing my situation, promptly went to the room and found the charger. I believe we spoke to Brett and he got the unit back to me a short time later.
The next day I realized that I had also left my glasses in the room. I initially called and was told none had been found. My wife called a few days later, spoke to Katie. To our pleasant surprise Katie searched through the “Lost and Found” room, located my missing glasses and also promptly mailed them to me.

. The courtesy, attention to excellent customer service, plus concern for us and efforts bythe hotel employees on our behalf were greatly appreciated and so much more than we have experienced in other hotels in these difficult economic times. It was a very pleasant surprise and very reminisant of the "good old days" when this was the rule rather than the exception..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Albany Marriott? Share your experiences!