“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Albany
wappingrfalls
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Mu family stayed here for a sports tournament. Check in was quick, the employee's were friendly. Our room was on the lower level near the pool.on the ground floor. The rooms smell like chlorine, the carpets are old and the bathrooms need updates. Every room has a window that slides open. None of these windows lock, this is a safety concern. The restaurant has a breakfast buffet $11.95 a person. We were told kid's under 12 eat free, The servers were nasty and rude to the children that entered before us. When we walked in we were told sorry you here with a group the special doesn't apply. There should be a disclaimer someplace outside the restaurant stating this. Let's be honest $11.95 a child is a lot for cold wet eggs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear tnmhenry98,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I certainly appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. On the other hand, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

After reading some comments on Trip Advisor we decided to book a room in the tower. Considering the chlorine smell when passing the other rooms this was probably a good idea, but perhaps you cannot smell that inside the room anyway. Our two queen size bed room was quite nice. It is equipped with a safe and a refrigerator.

The only really negative thing I have to say about this hotel (or about that room) is the terribel shower. It is almost impossible to take a shower without getting burned. There is just no cold water available. No matter what you do it is either hot or almost boiling. Even the water used in the toilet is hot. Only every few minutes you get a few seconds of cold water. Never had something like this before.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear muhkuh77,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. I am glad you liked your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry for the problem you experienced with the water temperature in your room. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Massapequa, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

was looking forward to a little getaway while attending a conference for the NYS Care Management Coalition being held here. Unfortunately i was not satisfied during my stay. It took about 15 minutes waiting on a line to check in. I was given a room with 2 double beds, although I requested a single king room. One of the 2 beds had dirt and debris in it when I went to relax in it. despite my notifying the front desk of this, nobody called or came to change the dirty linen. Thankfully, the other bed was ok. The air conditioner did not sufficiently cool the room, so i did not get a good nights sleep. the food served by the hotel at the conference was not very good. I will not be staying at this site ever again. Either the marriott or Homewood Suites next time would be luxury compared to this.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear marccsw,

Thank you for staying with us during your business trip and for writing a candid review. We are very sorry you were not satisfied with the air conditioning system and room accommodations. We appreciate all your feedback as this is our best resource for improvement. Should your travel plans bring you back to Albany, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

For years I have come up to Albany on Memorial Day weekend and stayed at the Marriott on Wolf Road on Friday night. As I noticed the Holiday Inn had rooms by the pool I decided to give them a chance. I booked a room through Expedia that was listed as "poolside". We were meeting friends there and wanted to be near pool so our kids could swim and we could visit with them. Being that it was an Expedia reservation we called on our way there to confirm it was a "poolside" room. The gentleman who answered the phone confirmed that it was. Of course when we arrived they had no rooms near the pool available. They acknowledged that it was in fact a poolside reservation. I asked the desk clerk for an explanation which of course she did not have. I explained that the only reason I had made a reservation there was to be by the pool. She told me she would have Kathy the manager contact me in the morning. As it is now four days later I guess I am not getting that call. If she had had the courtesy to call and explain what had happened I would have been happy to stay there again. Instead I will go back to the Marriott which I highly recommend for anyone traveling through Albany. It is well worth the $20 extra dollars/night cost as it is clean and luxurious compared to the Holiday Inn and of course has far superior customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear MrM283,

We are always glad to receive feedback from our valued guests. It’s nice to know that you chose to stay with us during Memorial day weekend. On the other hand, it is regrettable that your reservation issues did not make your stay a pleasurable one. I have sent you a private message in order to find out more about your experience and assist you further. We hope to hear from you soon.

Tracy V.
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I've been reviewing some of the best hotels that I tend to stay at again and again and I began to think about some of the hotels that I didn't enjoy staying at as well.

The ONLY hotel that comes to mind is this one. While I have had my fair share of average stays at hotels around the world, this one takes the cake regarding chronically bad service.

In fact, I can easily say that this is an aberration when it comes to Holiday Inn Hotels service and atmosphere. In fact, Holiday Inn should be ashamed of itself to have it's name on this specific location's sign.

The crazy thing is that I have stayed at the HI off of Wolf Road on at least 8 - 12 seperate occasions and in past years, it always did the job. In fact, I always chose to stay at this hotel because of it's convienient location regarding my client visits/locations and most importantly, I stay at IHG brand hotels as often as possible due to their points program (I'm a Platinum member).

Over the past 4 years, service has steadily dropped and I decided to give the hotel one more chance in August of 2013 during on of my business trips in the area.

Nothing has changed.

2011 I started to see the decline in service. In 2012 the front desk staff really dropped the ball so as I mentioned above, I gave them one more shot last year which was a bad move.

When I checked in, there were (02) front desk agents and (03) parties in front of me waiting to check in. Usually HI has a special area for Gold & Platinum members to check in (to expedite the process) but as usual, the front desk clerks could have cared less and took their sweet time checking in the folks in front of me (in fact, the couple in front of me was remarking at how slow they were).

When I finally made my way to the desk to check in, I was delayed by one of the ladies so she could run into the back. Five minutes later she returned and was about as friendly as a snake in the grass

Not only was she rushed and borderline rude, she did not recognize my Platinum status with the organization (once again because this is the 3rd time it has happened). I asked to speak with the manager because of my concern that something may have gone wrong & to ensure that I would receive the correct number of points credited to my account for the stay, but naturally the manager was MIA (does this place even have a manager? Every time I wanted to speak with them they were MIA).

Finally I received a call about 4 hours later indicating that they corrected the IHG Rewards Club issue. The weird thing is that this is the ONLY hotel in the franchise that screws up my status & points. The other weird thing is that I had always booked my room through the HI website while logged in to my profile so it makes no sense why they continuously screwed up my data over the course of 3 separate stays/years. They have my name right but my status wrong. Strange indeed.

Anytime I needed help or asked for advice, I was treated rudely and the staff could have cared less. Now mind you, I never lost my temper nor acted rude towards the staff. In fact, I ramped up the niceness hoping for reciprocation but sadly customer service is not something the staff is trained in.

I also had an issue with the TV not working and I will say, maintenance was friendly but the hotel was booked and there was nothing they could do about the TV issue so I was stuck watching Netflix on my iPad. Did they offer anything in the way of amenities to compensate for the lack of a TV in the room?

No. They do not care about the customer. And no, I did not ask for anything either, I would have thought that they would have extended the gesture but that is not the case.

Unfortunately I found out too late that a hotel INDIGO just opened it's doors around the time of my last stay and if I had known that, I would have stayed there (part of the IHG hotels).

I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER stay here again. Why pay to be treated like a second class citizen?

I just can't understand why this location is still in business....

Room Tip: If you are a IHG Rewards Member interested in staying at a HI for points, stay at the hotel INDIGO r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cassie P, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear David G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Over the past couple months, we have made some changes that have helped us renew our focus on providing outstanding service. I do hope that you will give us another chance to show you our great guest service and why we would be your hotel of choice in the Albany, NY area.
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed 1 night while driving back to Toronto. Good place to stay. Good price and excellent service. Will visit here on next round to states and will recommend too. Front desk lady Keisha was nice and helpful.she knows Albany good and helped me with few restaurant. Overall A+

• Stayed May 2014
Wilson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and have always had a great experience. the staff is very warm and welcoming. The location is perfect for our needs and the lounge is also great! Breakfast buffet is really good. Banquet food was great. Highly recommend this hotel for your Albany needs. My room was right near the elevator and ice machine and yet I slept very well!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn? Share your experiences!