“Back to the Marriott” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Brooklyn, New York
“Back to the Marriott”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

For years I have come up to Albany on Memorial Day weekend and stayed at the Marriott on Wolf Road on Friday night. As I noticed the Holiday Inn had rooms by the pool I decided to give them a chance. I booked a room through Expedia that was listed as "poolside". We were meeting friends there and wanted to be near pool so our kids could swim and we could visit with them. Being that it was an Expedia reservation we called on our way there to confirm it was a "poolside" room. The gentleman who answered the phone confirmed that it was. Of course when we arrived they had no rooms near the pool available. They acknowledged that it was in fact a poolside reservation. I asked the desk clerk for an explanation which of course she did not have. I explained that the only reason I had made a reservation there was to be by the pool. She told me she would have Kathy the manager contact me in the morning. As it is now four days later I guess I am not getting that call. If she had had the courtesy to call and explain what had happened I would have been happy to stay there again. Instead I will go back to the Marriott which I highly recommend for anyone traveling through Albany. It is well worth the $20 extra dollars/night cost as it is clean and luxurious compared to the Holiday Inn and of course has far superior customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear MrM283,

We are always glad to receive feedback from our valued guests. It’s nice to know that you chose to stay with us during Memorial day weekend. On the other hand, it is regrettable that your reservation issues did not make your stay a pleasurable one. I have sent you a private message in order to find out more about your experience and assist you further. We hope to hear from you soon.

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I've been reviewing some of the best hotels that I tend to stay at again and again and I began to think about some of the hotels that I didn't enjoy staying at as well.

The ONLY hotel that comes to mind is this one. While I have had my fair share of average stays at hotels around the world, this one takes the cake regarding chronically bad service.

In fact, I can easily say that this is an aberration when it comes to Holiday Inn Hotels service and atmosphere. In fact, Holiday Inn should be ashamed of itself to have it's name on this specific location's sign.

The crazy thing is that I have stayed at the HI off of Wolf Road on at least 8 - 12 seperate occasions and in past years, it always did the job. In fact, I always chose to stay at this hotel because of it's convienient location regarding my client visits/locations and most importantly, I stay at IHG brand hotels as often as possible due to their points program (I'm a Platinum member).

Over the past 4 years, service has steadily dropped and I decided to give the hotel one more chance in August of 2013 during on of my business trips in the area.

Nothing has changed.

2011 I started to see the decline in service. In 2012 the front desk staff really dropped the ball so as I mentioned above, I gave them one more shot last year which was a bad move.

When I checked in, there were (02) front desk agents and (03) parties in front of me waiting to check in. Usually HI has a special area for Gold & Platinum members to check in (to expedite the process) but as usual, the front desk clerks could have cared less and took their sweet time checking in the folks in front of me (in fact, the couple in front of me was remarking at how slow they were).

When I finally made my way to the desk to check in, I was delayed by one of the ladies so she could run into the back. Five minutes later she returned and was about as friendly as a snake in the grass

Not only was she rushed and borderline rude, she did not recognize my Platinum status with the organization (once again because this is the 3rd time it has happened). I asked to speak with the manager because of my concern that something may have gone wrong & to ensure that I would receive the correct number of points credited to my account for the stay, but naturally the manager was MIA (does this place even have a manager? Every time I wanted to speak with them they were MIA).

Finally I received a call about 4 hours later indicating that they corrected the IHG Rewards Club issue. The weird thing is that this is the ONLY hotel in the franchise that screws up my status & points. The other weird thing is that I had always booked my room through the HI website while logged in to my profile so it makes no sense why they continuously screwed up my data over the course of 3 separate stays/years. They have my name right but my status wrong. Strange indeed.

Anytime I needed help or asked for advice, I was treated rudely and the staff could have cared less. Now mind you, I never lost my temper nor acted rude towards the staff. In fact, I ramped up the niceness hoping for reciprocation but sadly customer service is not something the staff is trained in.

I also had an issue with the TV not working and I will say, maintenance was friendly but the hotel was booked and there was nothing they could do about the TV issue so I was stuck watching Netflix on my iPad. Did they offer anything in the way of amenities to compensate for the lack of a TV in the room?

No. They do not care about the customer. And no, I did not ask for anything either, I would have thought that they would have extended the gesture but that is not the case.

Unfortunately I found out too late that a hotel INDIGO just opened it's doors around the time of my last stay and if I had known that, I would have stayed there (part of the IHG hotels).

I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER stay here again. Why pay to be treated like a second class citizen?

I just can't understand why this location is still in business....

Room Tip: If you are a IHG Rewards Member interested in staying at a HI for points, stay at the hotel INDIGO r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cassie P, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear David G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Over the past couple months, we have made some changes that have helped us renew our focus on providing outstanding service. I do hope that you will give us another chance to show you our great guest service and why we would be your hotel of choice in the Albany, NY area.
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed 1 night while driving back to Toronto. Good place to stay. Good price and excellent service. Will visit here on next round to states and will recommend too. Front desk lady Keisha was nice and helpful.she knows Albany good and helped me with few restaurant. Overall A+

• Stayed May 2014
Wilson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and have always had a great experience. the staff is very warm and welcoming. The location is perfect for our needs and the lounge is also great! Breakfast buffet is really good. Banquet food was great. Highly recommend this hotel for your Albany needs. My room was right near the elevator and ice machine and yet I slept very well!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This place is good if you want a place to rest while in Albany. The hotel is huge and felt quite crowded. The pools were full of children (which was OK for us, but some might not like the crowd). Also, this hotel is close to the airport but far from downtown; not many good food options here.

As far as the room goes, it was big and clean. The bathroom looked a little old even though we were in a `renovated, upgraded' room. Having a extra sink in the room was helpful.

The bed in our room was actually quite comfortable - no springs!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Sukhada F,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property. I am pleased to know that you find our rooms big and clean. However, we are sorry that the location is a bit far from downtown and not too many food options in the area. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions seriously so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve your in the future.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Port Jefferson, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hotel is big and has a lot of conference rooms. When we got to our room and walked in the bathroom there was a metal vent area that you could see through, the length of the bathroom. It was covered in dust, and I mean covered and there was some kind of venting system that was probably blowing something into the room. Unless it was supposed to be the fan, which there was no switch for. The furniture is very old, and the whole place could use upgrades. It looks like there was a wing where the bar was that seemed a little more updated than the rest of the hotel. The beds were so hard I woke up and with a 4 hour drive in front of me began my day achy. The pool was big and when I went there were a couple people that looked like members that were there but that's it. The hot tub is a huge plus, and is very needed for all the pains you get from the beds. They have a lifeguard on duty who suggested a great place to go eat later that evening. The staff was always pleasant and friendly when you walked by them.

Stayed April 2014
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Bentley 1688,

I am glad you enjoyed the pool. I am sorry to hear you didn't like our beds, as they are new. Thank you for your comments we appreciate them. There is a upgrade with the old design of the grids in the bathroom. The rooms do not have fans you are correct, they install them with the upgrade. I am sorry you encountered this.
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hotel is a relatively sizable one with a couple of different wings attached. We were given the 'tower' because they were having some sort of 'pageant'
The tower has a corridor or connector to the pool area so you never have to go outside to enter in the main area.
It is nice and rooms are big, the restaurant was sizable as well and food was ok but nothing to write about. They are extremely close to Pizza Hut, which is really convenient if you don't feel like going out. Pizza Hut will charge a deliver fee on top of everything else so buyer beware.
The weekend we were there, the pool was completely full, and I do mean full. Someone thought it was a good idea to have a birthday party in the pool area. Poor management decision, The group of families and friends filled the pool to capacity so much so that management placed a sign on the gate stating they were at capacity. When we did have an opportunity to swim, my son only swam for 15 minutes. I think it was in bad taste to allow such a large party into the pool area with food and cake and possibly alcohol. Isnt that why you have a bar and or restaurant. These people had pizzas and wre running around the hotel like it was the wild west. They also took up all the rooms with pool views. Can you say disaster?
Our room was a decent size for it not to be a suite but on Saturday night the heater stopped working for some strange reason. Odd but true. Also, as a rewards member, my room wasnt ready. Unless IHG is doing something different, my Priority Club status must have meant nothing. When asked, the clerk said 'let me look and see your status'. Oh you are just a club member. I thought that was rude indeed. Shouldn't matter if I am just a club member or silver, gold, or platinum, I am still a member.
Also, when I called the front desk for an extended stay the clerk booked me for 15 additional days. What are we doing at the desk if we aren't paying attention. Frustrating to say the least

Room Tip: Take a room in the tower if you want some peace and quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rodio CT,

I am so sorry for the experience you encountered. I will look into all of your concerns. I appreciate the time you took to help make the things we do not know about possible to fix for the future. Again, I am sorry for your experience.

Been to Holiday Inn? Share your experiences!