“Frustration” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Connecticut
“Frustration”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hotel is a relatively sizable one with a couple of different wings attached. We were given the 'tower' because they were having some sort of 'pageant'
The tower has a corridor or connector to the pool area so you never have to go outside to enter in the main area.
It is nice and rooms are big, the restaurant was sizable as well and food was ok but nothing to write about. They are extremely close to Pizza Hut, which is really convenient if you don't feel like going out. Pizza Hut will charge a deliver fee on top of everything else so buyer beware.
The weekend we were there, the pool was completely full, and I do mean full. Someone thought it was a good idea to have a birthday party in the pool area. Poor management decision, The group of families and friends filled the pool to capacity so much so that management placed a sign on the gate stating they were at capacity. When we did have an opportunity to swim, my son only swam for 15 minutes. I think it was in bad taste to allow such a large party into the pool area with food and cake and possibly alcohol. Isnt that why you have a bar and or restaurant. These people had pizzas and wre running around the hotel like it was the wild west. They also took up all the rooms with pool views. Can you say disaster?
Our room was a decent size for it not to be a suite but on Saturday night the heater stopped working for some strange reason. Odd but true. Also, as a rewards member, my room wasnt ready. Unless IHG is doing something different, my Priority Club status must have meant nothing. When asked, the clerk said 'let me look and see your status'. Oh you are just a club member. I thought that was rude indeed. Shouldn't matter if I am just a club member or silver, gold, or platinum, I am still a member.
Also, when I called the front desk for an extended stay the clerk booked me for 15 additional days. What are we doing at the desk if we aren't paying attention. Frustrating to say the least

Room Tip: Take a room in the tower if you want some peace and quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Rodio CT,

I am so sorry for the experience you encountered. I will look into all of your concerns. I appreciate the time you took to help make the things we do not know about possible to fix for the future. Again, I am sorry for your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Binghamton, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn numerous times while in Albany on business. I never have had a bad stay, but the Hotel is a bit outdated and has a rather strange layout with a combination multi floor guess room areas and a ground floor room section. This trip the elevator was out of commission the entire time and that made hauling luggage up the stairs a little less than fun. At check-in the clerk made no mention of this fact and did not ask if I had any physical disabilities that might have prevented me from climbing stairs. I would have hoped were I an elderly person that might have been brought to my attention. In addition the shower curtain came apart and leaked water on the floor. It should have been replaced a long time ago.

Otherwise, it was a clean and very comfortable room. The restaurant has good food and good service but is a bit pricey. They have an outstanding breakfast buffet but charge $12.00 for it at the same time their competition across the street has nearly as good a buffet and it is complimentary.

Don't me wrong, I always enjoy staying at the Holiday Inn, but there are more modern and luxurious hotels in the same neighborhood for about the same money.

Room Tip: If you are assigned a room on the upper floors, make sure the elevator is working. It was out of com...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear CDR102EN,

Thank you for your comments we appreciate them, we use them to improve.
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Shoddy, small room in maze-like halls. I agree with other reviewers. We even "upgraded" to a renovated room because the first one was so stained and noisy. Holes in the sheets. Sad hallways. This should be a $89/night or less.

Good parts: the staff was really nice and really helpful. They get five stars. And the pet fee is reasonable.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here: be sure to ask for a renovated room away from the pool!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Lissie,

Thank you for your comments, I am very sorry you didn't get the value you were expecting. I do hope you told us about the sheets before you left as this is not the normal, I can reassure you.
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

If you want a place to stay that is the most confusing hotel layout ever, has a bar in one building and a restaurant in another and has no heat in your room on a cold night,,this is the place to stay. And one more thing..the restaurant food was terrible. There was a very nice person checking me in and the guy who tried to fix the heating problem in my room was nice, but this place needs to shut down. When I checked out, I told a nice lady at check out about having no heat and she offered me a cup of coffee. Since I made my reservation via an online service she said there was nothing she could do. Read the managers comments on other posts and he or she apologizes and says we are working on it. They appear not to be. And one final thing,,, my room exited to a freezing hallway that had buckets catching water from a leak in the roof. Terrible all around.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Scott B,

We apologize for our appearance with the last storm we did get some ice damage on the roof. I am very sorry about your experience.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Pro's: Excellent service at front desk and restaurant - really their great! Awesome pool and hot tub. I have stayed here many times in the last ten years. The pool and hot tub have kept me coming back.

Con's: NOT up to brand standards or NEC.

Deplorable room conditions in those rooms that have not yet been renovated. Avoid the rooms that look over the back lot. I stayed in 288 overlooking that lot and the bathroom was not up to code for sure. You could see the bathroom "light fixture", was a shop light set above a mesh drop ceiling tile. Near the fixture were electrical and plumbing systems and holes going thru the structure of the building big enough for a rat to easily climb thru. As a former electrician I can say it just was not up to code - overloaded metal work boxes, bare wires dangling, etc. Likely some health issues there too with exposed insulation in a living space. Not to mention it just looked like a slum's bathroom.

But hey, they did seem to be undergoing renovations. There were stacks of old filthy mattresses near the pool deck and in the hallways - that's always good feng shui.

I would stay here again if reviews indicated renovations had been completed. If there not.... this place might loose its brand.

Homewood Suites across the road would be a better choice for now.

Room Tip: Avoid certain rooms until renovated. Ask for an updated room if you must stay their probably just f...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments the staff tries very hard and we appreciate you. We do hope you return, the staff needs you.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Service was very good our room was clean and well maintained, beds were comfortable all in all an above average visit at a reasonable rate. The hotel is an aging property and does need a lot of work to bring it back to what it once was. Not sure there is a return on that type of investment. As I said our stay was very good however we didn't use the amenities and from what I saw I would choose not to.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear BA Bernier,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you ataying with us and hope to see you again.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of weeks during business travel. The only cool fact about this Hotel is its Location on Wolf road and Ease of Access for Airport. This is an aging property with old carpets and old noise making doors. If you see the lifts, probably you willl feel you are in 1980's.
As I felt on atleast 2 times during my 2 week stay that during baths, warm water was no more warm but changing to cold withing a minute or so. Water Conservation!!!!. Painting on the wall behing the bed, was removed and 2 pointing nails staring at you. No efforts to hide. Strangely no fridge in the room. request for bottle opener turned down as they do not keep it anymore in hotel.
Overall my rating is that it is "just about good" to pass the odd night off. Thats it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Himanshu Tripathi,

Thank you for your comments, we try to improve with all the information we receive. We do hope you return.

Been to Holiday Inn? Share your experiences!