“Holiday inn really?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Albany
New York City, New York
“Holiday inn really?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Not worth it. layout very much like a motel. Bed was fine but this needs a serious upgrade. Dusty. On a business conference there is no fridge no microwave, no real appeal.more than a short stay. Lots of parking.

• Stayed October 2013
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear NYScorpio3,

I want to apologize for your stay we take all concerns very seriously and want to know before you leave so we can address them. I do apologize your room did not meet the standards we expect. We do hope you give us another chance in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Easthampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I just got back from this hotel after a business conference. My coworker and I decided to stay over night in the same hotel that the conference was hosted due to travel arrangements. When I saw it was in a Holiday Inn, I was fine with it since I have had past experience that had been great.

That being said, when we arrived, we parked in the front where guest are allowed to check in with a 15 minute limit. It would have been nice if our check-in was that short, especially since there was no on in the lobby when we headed in. The two women at the front desk were already helping other guests so we stood behind, in the middle of both of them, so when one guest was finished, we would be next. Nope, that never happened. While we were waiting, another conference was let out and people started lining up NEXT to us. It was very clear that the women had seen us and one even said she would be with us in a moment when her guest was finished. Instead, we were cut off by a man that had lined up in front of her who had just come in as well as a group of flight attendants that just walked through the door. Neither of them said that we were here first so we should have been waiting on. The hotel didn't have the flight group registered so they were taking a lot of time and after the man who cut us off was done, another couple of women butted in and wanted their rooms changed. All in all, we waited for a good 20-25 minutes for absolutely no reason. I've never encountered something like that before.

Once we finally checked in, we got our rooms, found a parking place nearby and headed in. We were on the second floor and the moment we stepped into the hallway, I thought I was in a horror movie or scary video game. The hallway was dark with only lighting on the side and it wasn't bright or airy like any Holiday Inn I was ever in before. The doors were outdated and clashed with the modern door numbers next to it, giving off a shady vibe like this was a really bad motel who was pretending to be a nice, chain hotel. When I got to my room and turned on the lights, they flickered and were dim. My room, even with lights on, was dark and dreary. When I saw I had a large window, I walked over to it only to find that I was looking over a huge conference room. I was completely dumbfounded. I looked for the black-out curtains that every hotel room has and couldn't find them anywhere.

My coworker got a room facing the parking lot and it was nice and bright and airy. She suggested I changed my room but I wasn't going to bother dealing with the front desk again. We went to Outback nearby and headed back to the hotel for bed as we had to get up early that morning. When I got back into my room, the person next to me was talking on their phone and I could hear it clear as day through the conjoined door. I got changed in the bathroom, only to notice that the tile right about me was moved a crack and all I could think of was those peeping tom cameras. CREEPY! Luckily, I was tall enough to move the tile back in place and continued changing. The internet was fast and convenient but I eventually needed to head to bed. I was glad I brought earplugs because the walls were like paper. I could hear everyone coming down the hallways AND everyone walking through the open conference right outside my room. I turned off my lights and my room lit up like it was morning. The lights from the conference room were lit all night and I have a hard time sleeping unless my room is pitch black. I had to crank the thermostat to freezing because I had to sleep in my hoodie to block the light.

The bed felt fine to sit on but to sleep on was a different story. I sleep with two pillows because I find it comfortable but these pillows were square so the fluff in them couldn't go anywhere. I laid my head on two and they instantly started hurting my ears. I decided to use one and it was just too low for me. I ended up using my jeans to boost the pillow a bit and even that bothered my ear some. Once I finally got comfortable, which was about a hour and a half after I retired, fell asleep. I would like to say that I had sound sleep but I didn't. I woke up every one or two hours because the mattress was killing my back. Now I was just plain irritated. Frustrated and in pain, I spent the rest of the night like this and my alarm couldn't sound quick enough.

All I can say is that I'm glad checking out was easy because I couldn't get out of there fast enough. All I had to do was hand in my key card. GOOD RIDDANCE!
PLEASE REMODEL!

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, get a bedroom facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Toda S,

First I would like to apologize for your experience you encountered. Thank you for taking the time to tell us so we can improve. Please know we do take every comment seriously.
Richmond, Kentucky, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our flight was cancelled and Delta set us up in this hotel. We were welcomed in a friendly manner and made to feel at home. The hotel is not new by any standard, however, it is well taken care of and the room was quite large, pleasant and clean. Our wake up call was on time and the courtesy van got us to the airport on time...altogether a rather pleasant trip interruption.

Room Tip: They do offer breakfast but not at "O dark hundred" or 5 AM.
Dear Bankofdad2,

We are very happy we could become your home away from home, even if unexpected. Thank you for your feedback.
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I just got married here on Saturday and it was a dream come true! The staff are so nice, accommodating, on top of things, and all around awesome. The place looked incredible! Everywhere we went was spotless, and the whole experience was easy and stress free. The hotel suite was not very sound proofed at all, but that is the only complaint I would have.

Room Tip: They didn't have free continental breakfast like I thought they did so we just got McDonald'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Qtshortylilmel,

We are so very happy that you enjoyed your special day and we made it a success. We appreciate all your comments and use them to improve. Congratulations!!
Missouri City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel really needs a complete makeover. Had issues ranging from loud noises through the night, mold, and a running toilet. Notified the front desk and they seemed to be less than thrilled to fix our issues. Will not be returning. Would rather pay more and get some value out of my stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mona M,

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We take all comments very seriously and will look into all the concerns you had. Again, your business is important to us, we are very sorry.
Coventry, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Spent last Saturday night at this hotel, thinking a Holiday Inn would be plain but okay. Our room came with one double bed, a sink that wouldn't drain, mold in the bathroom, nasty looking carpet, a cold shower, and my wife killed a large bug on the wall. For a few dollars more you can stay at the Hilton Garden Inn or the Hotel Indigo. Just don't stay here.

Dear Chuck B,

We appreciate your comments as we do use everything to improve ourself. We are very sorry to hear of your experience. We take all comments serious. Again, I apologize.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

First of all, we picked this hotel because it advertised free breakfast as an amenity on its website and other travel websites. And Holiday Inn is supposed to be a clean national chain. Well, actually we were informed the morning after our first night that they do not offer free breakfast and they do not care that their website and advertisements say. I'm not from New York, and I do not know New York law, but in other states, misrepresentation is illegal.

Additionally, the fitness center is scary. It was extremely small (with only two stair steppers and two treadmills) and it smelled horrible. There were only two towels available inside the fitness center that we're wadded up on the towel shelf as though they had already been used. Towels seem like a pretty basic thing for a hotel to have. Even when they are busy, they should have enough to accommodate guests.

Furthermore, the hotel seems to sprawl out of control into a maze of hallways. They do not have a very helpful map of the hotel to direct guests where to go. We were placed in a room that starts with a 2 that to the normal person would sound like it would be on the second floor. However, it is on the first floor in a far back corner.

As for the actual room, it was fine, but not nearly as nice as I would expect for the price paid. We will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Tiffany C,

I am sorry we fell short of your expectations. Being a full service hotel we do not have complimentary breakfast, some get us confused with Holiday Inn Express's. We do take all your comments very seriously and will address the matters you are concerned about. We do hope you visit us again in your future.

Been to Holiday Inn? Share your experiences!