“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Camden, ME
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Housekeeping was a bit lack on our room when we arrived. We suspect someone was in a hurry and missed some minor cleaning. Since then, all the housekeeping staff have been very pleasant and efficient. Our room was pleasant and spacious. A mini fridge and coffee maker made it nice to have some cold snacks and coffee in the room.

There wasn't any noise even though we were next to the ice machine and above their wine bar, the 205.

The restaurant is nice. I have gluten issues and they were wonderful in creating a special meal for me which was delicious. We didn't use either of the two swimming pools but they looked very inviting.

It is close to the Colonie Mall and all that Wolf Road has to offer. Lots of stores and restaurants. The Reel Seafood restaurant is a few buildings away and they are a great place for good seafood!

We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011 via mobile

Besides the friendly customer service, I wish my company would change this hotel.
The rooms are musty & damp feeling in the main hotel and the a/c barely works in them.
 The bathrooms in these rooms have a creepy ceiling strip open in them where you can see open soled dusty ducts. The showers are barely cleaned. The towels are little & sometimes rough.
The Internet is still hook up lines. Supposedly they have Wifi but none of the rooms I have ever stayed in have access.
The phones & smoke detectors have annoying blinking lights
The hallways are noisy, smelly, & dirty.
And finally they rent out or give access to their exercise/pool facilities to all the local senior citizens. So you can't enjoy the outdoor pool because it is PACKED with old ladies on floaties & old men swimming laps & the exercise room has an occasional weirdo & broken elliptical machine hanging out in there for the past 3 years.
So one star for friendly hotel staff. 2nd star for having rooms but other than that I hope they don't charge more than $50 a night...

• Stayed July 2011
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed here in late June, 2011, for 5 nights. I stayed in a room overlooking the indoor pool. The room was nice, the tv had plenty of channels. The restaurant seemed fine, but I only had the breakfast buffet there, so I cannot comment on other meals. The ladies at the front desk all seemed pleasant and helpful.
It is easy to get lost in this hotel, as other reviewers have said. It happened to me once and I felt a bit foolish, but I found my way back to my room eventually. If I am in Albany again, I would stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Up front...we bid for this hotel on Priceline, so take comments about room quality with that in mind.

The Wolf Road/airport area of metropolitan Albany is dotted with hotels at just about every price and service level. Many of them are relatively new (10 years or less), but this Holiday Inn has been here for at least 30 years, and has a reputation locally as one of the premier properties in the area. I can remember my folks considering a trip to the included restaurant a special occasion.

When we arrived, all the clerks were busy, and there was a short wait before we could start the check-in process. We were pre-assigned a two-double-bed non-smoking room, so we asked about the possibility of a room with a king bed and were told that the place was fully booked. We were also told that our pre-assigned room type was not yet ready for occupancy and there would be a 10 to 15 minute wait before a specific room could be made available. This was over an hour AFTER listed check-in time (and rooms weren't yet ready??!).

After about half an hour, the clerk called us up to the counter and asked if we would accept a non-smoking single-king room...apparently the manager had authorized "unlocking" several reserved rooms so that we didn't have to wait for the original room to be cleaned.

With check-in out of the way, we got to our room(which was in the main building, not in the separate "tower") and found it to be perfectly acceptable. It was generously sized, and everything worked, including the free Wi-Fi (which I'm using to write this review).

Positives: It IS a nice hotel, and the features offered probably justify its Priceline rating as 3-star. There are two pools, one indoor, one outdoor, plenty of bell-men to help with luggage if you want it, a decent restaurant included on the property, a business area with computer, an electronic game arcade, and Starbucks coffee available 24 hours. I presume there's an exercise area as well, but we didn't use it or even look for it. The king bed in our room was more comfy than most hotels (who think that a slab of rock is a passable mattress), and the heat/AC is built into the room, not the typical "wall block," which makes it somewhat less intrusive when it runs.

Negatives: It's an old property, and although it's been redone a few times, our room was showing its age. The TV was an old picture tube type, but it worked well. The walls are on the thin side, and you can hear your neighbors...as well as the planes taking off and landing at the airport (which is almost visible from the hotel). Also, while there's a breakfast buffet available, it's not free, and while there's plenty of free parking, not much of it is close to the hotel. We also had trouble with the electronic lock on the door closest to our room...we had to get new key cards from the front desk after the door "ate" our original cards. It also would've been nice if we had a microwave and fridge in the room.

All in all, I slept well, the price was a fair one for what we got, and I'd certainly be willing to stay here again if Priceline makes the choice for me.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We 've stayed here 4-6 times per year over the past 6 years and always are told that the room we booked was somehow "double booked" and are bumped to another room. On this occasion we were offered an upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi, which we accepted. When we attempted to use it, the water that came out was dirty (it was apparent that this was the grime stuck in the jets from the last user so had not been cleaned) and brown. We drained the tub to try to clean it and refill, but the grime was so thick it coated the bottom of the tub so much so that we didn't even want to use the shower because we didn't even want to stand in it.

While filling the tub, the bathroom became steamy and we noticed a picture of falic symbol which had been written in the steam by a previous guest on the mirror. It was apparent that the mirror also had not been cleaned.

All we were offered was a $50 voucher for another trip... It's been 9 months so we're going to give it another try. If we have a similar experience, we won't be returning again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I stayed in the new tower for one night. The room was perfectly adequate, quiet, close to the airport, and I was happy with the rate. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is like a maze, though!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I chose this hotel on a layover after a late flight in, got a deal on expedia where the hotel is selected for you. So, the price was right.
This is an older property with a lot of rooms with a somewhat confusing layout. I had a room in the relatively new tower which was quite ordinary. I have stayed in other hotels near the ALB airport which IMO have nicer rooms.
Did not dine there, went to the Macaroni Grill nearby.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn? Share your experiences!