“A very nice place to stay...” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   660 Albany-Shaker Road, Albany, NY 12211   |
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, New York
“A very nice place to stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I did enjoy my stay. This is a very unique hotel. There are two huge courtyards in the middle. The decor is very different too. The wallpaper seemed like something my Grandma would have chosen. But, I liked it! The bed was comfortable, and I slept well. There were a few "negatives". The pillows were not very good (I put two of them together and slept fine). I did hear a few planes take off (no big deal). The thing I liked the least was that I got turned around inside at least four times and had trouble finding my room. I recommend looking over the hotel map they provide. The staff was very helpful. Check-in and out was also a breeze. I don't recommend staying on the 4th floor. The hallways were very stuffy (warm), and I stayed in May, when it wasn't even that hot outside. Overall, this is a nice hotel. It is right off the expressway, and I parked close to my room. I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

My room was a little warm but other than that, it was a great experience. The hotel looks like a mini village. Staff was helpful and the food was delicious. I would return to The Desmond when in the Albany area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was at the Desmond for my high school reunion weekend, and it was a very pleasant experience. I stayed in one of the old "Mansion" rooms. My room was large, quiet, comfortable and very nice. The location is great, if you need to be near the airport (free shuttle) or highway I-87. I have no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed my time.

Room Tip: I imagine that rooms facing into the internal courtyards (yes, the place is huge) are noisy.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed during my HS reunion/bicentennial. They hosted almost all the attendees (over 1,000) people including class dinners and 2 receptions. They were very accommodating and while the decor is dated, the room were generally well maintained and the service staff was wonderful.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed at the Desmond recently while attending my High School's Bicentennial celebration. Most of the events were at the School so what was important was a good night's sleep each night. I definitely got that at The Desmond. The bed was so comfortable. My room overlooked the atrium but unless the french doors were open, I couldn't hear any noise. The decor is a little bit kitschy but isn't that more fun that the standard generic hotel furnishings? Also, the Tavern has an excellent single malt scotch selection. I would definitely stay here again.

Hinesburg, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

A hotel that hosts conferences and large groups but has been designed to make that feel welcoming and rather fun. The internal "square" made up of house facades and storefronts is welcoming and, at least when we were there, was quiet--which mattered, as our room faced the square.

Room Tip: Facing inward to the square on the 3rd floor was a good location, though if there is a party going o...
Aberdeen, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The weekend was bound to be madness--my school's bicentennial plus reunion for classes ending in 4 and 9--and the challenge they faced was substantial. But it was a great experience from the van driver who collected us from the airport to all the desk staff, housekeeping, and the folks who provided a fine Reunion dinner. (Particular praise for the cheesecake, I remember.) It's a sprawling establishment but I got to enjoy that walk to my quiet room at the far end. Plenty of hot water in the shower, too. Decently comfy beds. Good coffee and nice offerings at the continental breakfast. If I ever need an Albany hotel again, this is likely to be the one I turn to.

Room Tip: I heard some rooms that opened to interior were stuffy, a little muggy. Make sure you have a window...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Desmond Albany? Share your experiences!