“Wonderful notte” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Albany, New York
“Wonderful notte”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have been to this establishment at least six times. It is as good as any food that I have sampled across the globe, country and state. The atmosphere is very pleasant with a bar off the entrance and a dining room with high ceiling. I did not give high rating for romance because it is a busy dining room. The food is sensual. They use linens and provide attentive service.

On the last visit our group sampled pasta with lobster in a full flavored creamy sauce, sea bass with a delicate hoisin sauce, veal fillet with sauce and seared duck. We had three different salads: Caesar with anchovies (extra were provided on request); the house salad which has greens, sliced apple, figs, goat cheese rolled in flour and sautéed, a very pleasant and lightly applied tart dressing; a three leaf salad that was also delicious. For dessert, we were unable to have tiramisu because it was out of stock. Our limoncello parfait was lemony and very sweet. It did not have the delicacy or counterpoint of some other selections. I would have to say that I ADORE the ricotta cake. It has many dimensions, including warmth, an outer crispness, inner moist, sweet and tangy. Just like Warren's aunt used to make.

The meal was delicious as usual. Staff seemed a little harried with many faces at our sides. Reservations are recommended. Noise can climb, but, it is a happy crowd and affable chatter. The food quality makes this a good value even though it is a costly tab with three courses. We savor and save this venue for special occasions, our choice.

The only negative is that it can sometimes require ingenuity for our group to fill the plates. Among us we have dietary concerns including: vegetarian, non pork/shellfish consumption, gluten intolerance, mixing dairy and meat and more from GERD and allergies. That left me on the last occasion with very few choices. I would advise looking at the menu or call ahead for specials. I suspect that the chef would modify.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Holbrook, New York
“Made my stomach's soul smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Mezzanote is a charming place with an atmosphere to match. Whenever I see a thoughtful Italian menu like this in a place far away from NYC, I get excited - but as an Italian food snob, I always prepare for disappointment as many places can't deliver when they go a little outside of the bounds of the traditional fare. When I see Osso Buco on the menu it usually means one of 2 things, either the place knows what they are doing or they haven't the slightest clue. I had a hunch they were the real deal and I was right. The Osso Buco was one of the best I've had in a long time, the fried calamari was executed properly and the service was spot-on all night long. Everyone at my table thoroughly enjoyed their food as well. If I lived in the area I would easily be here once a week.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albany New York
“Overpriced and So-so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant many times but never voluntarily, only for business meals when I had no choice. The food is mediocre. Good Italian cuisine doesn't need improvements, especially when the so-called improvements are not. Take caprese, for example. Is there anything better when it is made with creamy buffalo mozarella, flavorful ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a drizzle of fruity olive oil. OK, you can have a grind of pepper if necessary. Now picture rubbery mozarella and roasted red peppers drowning in a syrupy balsamic reduction. Yuk. You get the idea. A lot of people like this kind of cooking, but not me.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Upstate NY
“Best dinner out in a while!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Definitely one of the best restaurants in the Albany area. We had an attentive, knowledgeable server. Nice atmosphere although it does get rather loud when busy. We shared the bruschetta appetizer which was not just your normal boring tomatoes on top - it had other seasonal veggies like eggplant with a balsamic drizzle. My husband raved about the pasta and lobster dish he had, and my rigatoni with sausage, eggplant and pomodoro sauce was delish. Best pasta sauce I think I've tasted. No it's not cheap but for a special night out it's worth it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Our local favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a consistently top notch restaurant. The food we had last night was the best we've had in the numerous times we've been in over the years. We received the usual warm greeting from Jill behind the bar. Service in the dining room was professional, but a bit choppier last night than on some prior visits. But the food, oh the food. Always unique bruschetta and Saratoga Chips with gorgonzola and Brussels Sprouts for appetizers. Our entrees ran the full range of offerings: roasted chicken wrapped in pancetta in tabasco honey, sea bass over a corn relish, immense and tender scallops with goat cheese polenta and asparagus puree, linguine with white clam sauce and incomparable braised rabbit. All of them were excellent. The range and execution of the entrees is truly impressive. The room is pleasantly busy. The wine list is broad enough and reasonably priced. Make the trip to Mezza Notte. You'll be glad you did.

• Visited June 2013