“BEWARE, BE AWARE, BE CAREFUL” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Albany
new york
“BEWARE, BE AWARE, BE CAREFUL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our extended family stayed at this hotel for one night in sept. We had 4 rooms with 3 people in each room. Every room had an adult present.The rooms were prepaid but a $250 hold was put on our credit card in case other charges were incurred. Six weeks later I saw that the credit card had in fact been charged. When I called the hotel to straighten this out I was told that there was damage done to two rooms (closet doors broken) and towels stolen. We had requested extra towels because we were extra people in the room and because we were going down to the pool and didn't know if we would find towels at the pool. Nowhere was it posted that towels might be available at the pool. I was horrified by the accusation and of course confirmed with the other family members as to the status of the rooms when they vacated them. Everything was fine. I had also checked out the rooms for items left behind before we left and didn't see anything amiss. Six weeks later the charge was sprung on me. When I contacted the manager of the hotel as to why I wasn't notified as soon as they noticed the problems her response was that there was no contact #. There was a very clear e-mail address on the reservation confirmation. No attempt, whatsoever,was made to contact me.These accusations are 100% false. It is obviously my word against theirs since they don't have any pictures and neither do I ( why would I). My recommendation to anyone going to this hotel is to take pictures of the room when checking in and again when checking out. Also count the towels you have in the room and make sure that when you leave there is the same amount of towels as when you entered the room. If you don't, do not be surprised if your credit card hold has in fact been put through weeks later.
In all the years I have been travelling I have NEVER had this kind of experience.It is very disconcerting.

Room Tip: find a different hotel unless you want aggravation.
Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you understand that holds are placed on credit cards for situations such as this. Only when there is excessive damage or theft do we need to charge a guest and unfortunately as this situation affected 4 rooms we did have to charge for the damage and missing items. As your reservation was made through a third party booking site we did not have your email address on file; the telephone number was one number off so when I attempted to contact you I was unable to. Again, I hope you understand our position.

Carrie Friello

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stopped here on our Foliage Tour through the northeast this year. The rooms were fine and the property is located close to the freeway. However, we were taken back by a large group of rough looking individuals in the lobby who were scarfing down pizza and beer late one night. Pizza boxes strewn across the floor, bottles scattered on the tables and floor..... Loud, boisterous people hanging their feet over the furniture.... We wondered if we walked into a Frat House.

The next morning, during a self serve breakfast, a very large woman entered thorough the back door with a big plastic bag in her hand. She walked over to the buffet, opened the refrigerator and scooped, not picked up but actually scooped an entire shelf of products including yogurt, milk and juices into the bag. She grabbed hands full of bread and pastry and stuffed them into the bag. Then she hit the packaged cereal and cleaned out most of that, too. We stood dumbfounded and speechless as we watched her tie up the bag and walk out the back door of the lobby.

There seemed to be no control at this property as locals came in and helped themselves to the amenities. We left in a hurry as we felt uncomfortable. We probably will never be back in the area again... but we feel as though others should be aware of the problems we encountered here.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room in the back.. They are very quiet!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our property. I assure you the people you saw in the lobby are in fact guests. The lobby is public space so guests are allowed to get together there. We actually find that if larger groups congregate in the lobby there are less noise complaints from other guests than if they were all in one guest room. Some guests work different hours than most as well. With regards to the guest taking mass amounts of food from the buffet, we do our best but can not control how much guests take from the buffet. Again, I assure you that we do not have people walking in off of the streets to eat breakfst. All exterior doors with the exception of the main door by the front desk are key access only. I do appreciate your feedback and hope that you understand as we try to accomodate all of our guests.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The staff here really understands what it means to provide a good customer experience. From the moment we checked in till the time we checked out everyone was friendly, professional and attentive - they make you feel welcome and at home. The hotel was clean and the room was in good shape.

Overall this hotel is an excellent value and a comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your exceptional experience at our property. Our associates work hard to ensure every guest feels like they are coming "home" when staying with us. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future.

Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a perfectly fine hotel, nice clean rooms, friendly helpful staff, decent breakfasts etc. etc. We stayed here for two nights in October with our kids and selected it mainly because of the great reviews on Tripadvisor. Everything in the 'Excellent' reviews is true and I really did like the hotel. Sadly the only negative were some of the other guests. I've never stayed at a hotel before where you are greeted by groups of drunken guests congregating in the lobby, it was very disconcerting and a little bit frightening for the kids. I will admit that once in our room we were not bothered by any noise but to have to wade through groups of young adults swinging beer, whiskey and wine bottles around was enough to put us off staying there again. Shame because everything else was very nice. Why these groups are not moved on by staff is beyond me.

Room Tip: Avoid the lobby at night - if at all possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay wtih us. I do apologize for the guests utilizing the lobby area when you checked in. We do have guests that work odd hours and sometimes meet in the lobby after work. This is public space so we do allow guests to congregate there. We find that when larger groups can get together in the lobby area there are less noise complaints than if they were all in one guest room together. I hope you understand and will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Floral Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a family wedding close by and booked 4 rooms for a 2 night stay. The rooms were not the biggest we've had at a Marriott but they were clean and comfortable. There was no dresser to put clothes away which is a first for us. Breakfast was good and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. We hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels return you to the Albany area.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was our first stay at a Springhill Suites, and we were very impressed, Micheal on the front desk went above & beyond to make us feel welcome and was the highlight of our stay. He clearly loves his job and it shows! The room was fabulous, very spacious and clean. Coffee in reception 24/7, lovely breakfast - all good really!! Nothing negative to say! Great value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience at our property. I love sharing comments like yours with our team. Michael truly is an asset to our hotel and we appreciate you recognizing him. I am very glad that our hotel met your needs and hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to the Albany area.
Aiea, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were glad to check in to a nice, roomy hotel after nearly 20 hours of flying and airports. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful. I'm fully in agreement with the positive comments of others about the staff. The room was clean, with enough space to spread out our many bags. The furniture, bathroom fixtures, etc. seemed up-to-date. The bed was a little soft for my taste, but that's me. We had a shower/tub combo which was fine. The lobby area was very welcoming (newspapers, brochures, fruit). The breakfast area was also very nice, and the included breakfast was what we needed to start a long driving day to Niagara Falls. There's a good family-style restaurant (Delma's) a short walk across the parking lot and a seemingly very popular ice cream shop next door to the restaurant. We got a very good rate through Marriott Family and Friends ($89), so we would consider this place to be a real bargain in this area. All-in-all, it was what I was hoping this Marriott property would be.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review letting us know about your recent stay at our property. I am pleased that our hotel was just what you expect when staying with Marriott. Our staff truly desires to ensure every guest has a pleasant stay while with us. Again, I am delighted that our location offered just what you needed and we look forward to having you stay with us again!
Carrie Friello

Been to Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie? Share your experiences!