“Excellent experience.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 49 hotels in Albany
New York City, New York
“Excellent experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

The service at the hotel is stellar. From beginning to end the experience was better than I expected for a short overnight stay.
We were greeted politely, and in a friendly matter. Check in was seamless and quick.
Free Breakfast has a nice selection of foods to chose from and again, the service was excellent, friendly, and prompt.
We did not use the facilities, i.e. pool and gym, but, it was a nice option to have.
Very good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2013
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We strive to provide outstanding customer service and are pleased that you experienced this. I am excited to share your great comments with my team. We hope to see you again!

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lake George, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was a little gem of a hotel for what we needed: a one night rondevous in a central location. Actually it went above and beyond that. It was verrrry clean, and streamlined in it's decor, especially the queen suite. The room was set up differently from any other hotel chain I've ever stayed in. Nice lighting with an studio apartment like feel. We were very comfortable and very pleased. Breakfast in the morning was just bonus! Will definitely book here again!

Room Tip: Even number rooms face west so we were able to enjoy a beautiful evening twilight!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to hear about your experience at our property. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team. We hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you need an accomodation in Albany!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at SpringHill Suites for one week for work and I couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Below are just some of the highlights from my stay.

-Once I was assigned a room and I checked in, the concierge called and left a message asking if everything was ok and if I needed anything else, demonstrating top notch and proactive customer service.

-My room had a separate toilet/sink and shower/sink which is convenient if traveling with other ppl

-I had a handwritten note from housekeeping at my desk in the room telling me to enjoy my stay

-In the evening the receptionist puts out warm chocolate chip cookies that guests can have for free

-There was a fireplace in the lobby that was lit at breakfast and throughout the day, making it super cozy.

-Breakfast includes both hot and cold foods and these delicious yogurt parfaits that were a nice grab and go option.

-The surrounding area includes a mall, movie theater, affordable restaurants and more.

Overall, my stay was great and the customer service was genuine which really goes a long way!

• Stayed January 2013
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about the service you received while staying at our property. My associates truly do their best to ensure every guest feels at home when staying at our hotel. I am excited to share your comments with my team. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Berkshires, Ma.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this Marriott branch very much. Upon arrival, we were greeting by Michael at the front desk and he was so charming, friendly and helpful, ( and had a sense of humour too ), that we felt we were off to a great start !
Our room was very clean, spacious, and based on previous reviews I brought along some night lights for the bathroom areas which worked out just fine. The bed was so comfortable, we liked the walk in shower and seperate bathroom and shower areas and the sliding glass panels that divided up the sleeping area from the sitting area. The pool is small, but the water was warm..( we did miss a hot tub however ).
We are reward members and like to try out different branch's and this was certainly up to Marriotts usual standards.
We walked across the street and down the road a bit and dined at Ralph's Tavern..what fun !..and such a cool place too !
Then, next morning we dined at Delma's Diner which is walkable from the hotel, friendly service, good food.
So, This hotel is on our "plan to return " list for our next leisure visit to the Albany/Colonie area.
Thanks Marriott folks.. we are happy and pleased customers !

Room Tip: Our first floor room down past the pool, reception, dining area was quiet. ( # 120)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our property. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. I look forward to sharing your comments with Michael, as well as with the rest of my team. Please let us know if we can be of assistance with booking any future reservations.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We submitted a Priceline bid for a three-night stay and ended up with this hotel...one of the few in which we had never stayed during our many trips to visit family in the area. The room was a second-floor king suite which consisted of a single large room cleverly divided into a sleeping area and "sitting" area by a desk having sliding panels which can be set to obscure the view from the sitting/working area into the sleeping area...makes it seem like separate areas without actually BEING separate areas.

Positives:

- The bed was comfortable.
- The room was reasonably quiet.
- The decor was pleasant and relaxing.
- It was clean.
- There is free wi-fi (which apparently remembers you from day to day, so you only need the password once...cool beans).
- There's plenty of free parking.
- The sitting area had not only a couch, but also a chair in addition to the office chair.
- There was a microwave and a small, under-counter refrigerator, though we did have to change the refrigerator from its warmest setting to store our restaurant leftovers.
- The coffeemaker was capable of making more than one cup at a time.
- Breakfast is included in the price of the room.
- Shower has nice glass door instead of annoying curtains.
- Shower room and bathroom are separate, with separate sinks...but see below.
- Room temperature control was quiet and efficient.
- TV was not "stuck" in wide mode...it could be adjusted for the aspect ratio of the program being viewed, and the channels available were mostly the HD versions of the usual cable channels.
- The eating area in the lobby area had a nice fireplace.
- Partner says that the complimentary Paul Mitchell toiletries were nice.
- NOTE: The staff was absolutely super!

Negatives:

- Shower and bathroom doors are sliding doors with frosted glass inserts...an interesting approach to maximizing usable room space, but the frosted glass meant that any light turned on in the middle of the night also flooded the rest of the room with light. Also, although the frosted glass didn't really allow for "viewing" of the processes going on behind them, it was definitely not opaque, and shapes could be discerned if directly adjacent to the glass (anything more than a foot or so from the glass is essentially invisible, and the commode itself is behind a solid wall, so you can't see anyone sitting there). The bathroom door was sticky and noisy.
- Hot water for both the sinks and the shower took forever to arrive.
- There was only room for a nightstand on one side of the bed.
- The TV is "centered" in the room and must be rotated to watch from either the bed or the sitting area...it really can't be seen properly from both areas at once. Also, the power plug on the TV worked itself loose due to the constant rotation from bedroom to sitting room.
- Breakfast, while free, was just average, i.e., it filled the empty stomach, but was nothing to cheer over. Bite the bullet and go pay for breakfast at the Wolf Road Diner (a couple of miles away at the far end of Wolf Road) if you want more than prepackaged eggs, sausage patties, breads, cereal, juice, and barely ripe melon. On the other hand, as I said, it IS both free and edible.
- Room glasses and coffee mugs are glass and ceramic, respectively...a bit of class compared to pre-wrapped plastic, but also a point of concern for anyone who saw the TV documentary and is concerned about the sanitation of items like this that can be re-used.

In short, this is a typical Marriott property...basically well done, well kept, and quite functional, if you're willing to overlook a few quirks about the room design. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. Tripadvisor has this property listed as #9 out of 50 in the area (as I write), and they really do deserve it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that our hotel met your expectations and appreciate your feedback. We hope you will stay with us again in the future!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Springhill suites in Albany and were really happy with the experience. Really helpful staff (Michael at the desk was awesome to help us find a pub and cab on Thanksgiving night) all in all. Our room was spacious, quiet, little fridge, in room coffee machine, fast wifi, sitting area, nice small pool (great for kids), exercise room. There's a restaurant bar across the parking lot as well as a gas station for snacks. The breakfast was a perfect (yogurt, fruit, waffles, eggs etc) way to start the day. The room was really clean and we left $5 tip on both mornings to help out the hard working staff. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about the outstanding customer service you received while staying at our property. I am pleased that our accommodations met your needs and look forward to sharing your comments with my team. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Needed a place to stay on short notice in Albany and chose the Springhill Suites. The location is a little further away from the Airport than I first thought and it is tucked in behind a few other business, so locating it was not as easy as I would have liked. Hotel does have ample parking, however parking lot and exterior of the hotel felt on the darker side and I feel could use some additional lighting.

Check in was quick and easy, room was just ok. The furniture (sofa and chair) looked and felt cheap and slightly on the dirty side, I really did not want to use it. The desk area had ample work space and offered plenty of lighting. Bed was comfortable, TV location felt off, I realize they are trying to use one TV to serve the sitting area and bed area, however it did not work easily. The bathroom, I am still undecided how I feel about the set up. Looking straight on from the bed, you could easily see both the toilet (located in a separate area) and the shower located in a separate area from the toilet. Both areas had doors, however it did not feel it offered any level of privacy and if you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, the light from the 1/2 bath will shine right onto the bed until you get the door closed.

Last issue, the sound proofing was non-existent. I could clearly hear conversations through the walls and door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carrie243, General Manager at Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay with us at the SpringHill Suites~Albany/Colonie. I am glad you were able to find our location. I am sorry you found our furniture and sound proofing to be less than expected. I do hope you will remember us the next time your travels bring you to the Albany area. I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Carrie Kerr

Been to Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie? Share your experiences!