“Reliable - if unexciting - hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
montréal, québec
“Reliable - if unexciting - hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed for one night mid-August, room somewhat smaller than what comparable hotels call "suites", although very clean. Excellent service - we called around 11 pm for foam pillows and an extra blanket and got them within minutes. No noise heard at all from adjoining rooms or hallway. Weird setup: toilet and shower are separated, which is fine but neither had a fan, which would have been useful. "Pool" is a very generous way to qualify the large bathtub available on the ground floor. Breakfast was fine too, with a bit of everything. Excellent location to get to and from I 87, but far enough not to get the noise. All in all, unexciting and a bit bland, but clean, comfortable and reliable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We had a great stay at the Springhill suites in Albany. The location is excellent, right next to the main shopping mall in Albany. It is also close to alot of shopping and restaurants.
Bedding and amenities are very comfortable, sometimes found it hard to get out of the comfortable beds to go shopping. Only complaint I have was with the gentleman who booked us in. He told me he had to put a hold on my card for the full room rate plus 30$ more, which isnt a problem, however I advised him I was going to pay cash for the room, he told me the full room rate plus hold had to be held on the credit card, despite the fact that I have been to this exact hotel in the past and only needed a 30$ hold on the card since I paid cash... he advised me it was just a hold and that I could still pay cash. Wake up in the morning to find the bill under the door showing a 0 dollar balance owing, and that indeed it was billed to the credit card, despite advising the clerk numerous times about paying cash.

Room Tip: Choosing the highest floor allows you to have a generally quieter stay, nobody above you!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
NASHUA,NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The night manager was a great guy and extremely helpful. He made you feel like you were at home and not at a hotel. the room was very comfortable and clean. the cleaning staff do a great job. The location is a great location to see the greater Albany area. The staff recommendation for restaurants was spot on. Ralph's and Grandma's don't look like much from outside but the food was great. The best was Domonico's just up from the road from the hotel. If you tell the front desk you are going there they will call ahead for you.

Room Tip: very clean and comfortable
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We always stay at Marriotts whenever possible. This property offered a nice stay with large rooms, modern decor and was very clean. Work/living room area is nicely separated from sleeping area and room includes a we tbar area with microwave. Convenient to upscale mall with lots of chain restaurants including Cheesesteak Factory and PF Chang's, Movie theater. Pool is very small but kids seem to be enjoying it. The Continental breakfast was the usual Marriott spread. Staff was very friendly and helpful, and even remembered our names after the first night. The area is fine, a small local soft serve ice cream place right outside. My only complaint was that the interior space is not quiet. I could hear the people in the next room talking (maybe a bit loud but they were not yelling) and families across the hall. You could hear people coming in out of their rooms and I am not usually so aware of this. The ice machine on the 4th floor must have been broken, sounded like a construction site, luckily we were not near it. The hotel is very close and convenient to College of Saint Rose where we were headed.

We will probably try it again, the pluses outweigh the minuses, but don't get a room near the elevator/ice machine.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator/ice machine, too noisy
Arlington,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Located away from the interstate this SHS is quiet, very clean with an extremely nice staff. If I was still working I'd hire Michael away from them. Everything was perfect in the room and the pool and breakfast areas were great. Short drive to a long list of good restaurants. We stayed a few days to get to know the lake areas north of Albany and it worked out great. Beautiful area, friendly hotel made days 22,23 and 24 of our road trip perfect.

Trumbull, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I have stayed at plenty of hotels in my time, but this was clearly the friendliest staff I have seen in all of my years. From the people at the front desk to the gentleman who brought us extra bedding. In fact, when I realized we had forgotten ziplock bags for the sandwiches we were making and asked the kitchen staff, they actually hand-wrapped the sandwiches themselves in plastic wrap for us.

The hotel was extremely clean, and the rooms were very nice. We found the bedding comfortable, the small fridge and utilities in perfect working order, and the couch bed was clean and nice. The room was spacious as well and had a living area and a desk setup, which provided the perfect amount of space for our 3 children.

The included breakfast was actually nice. Scrambled eggs, sausage, English muffins, bagels, cereal, oatmeal - even a make-your-own Belgian waffle griddle. I'm used to the "continental" breakfast most hotels have, which is just some empty carbs and toppings. This was a nice option, and the breakfast area was kept clean and the food fresh. The staff walked around and asked us how everything was and if there was anything else they could get for us.

If I had to make any negative comments about the place, it would have to be on the size of the indoor swimming pool. It's about half the size you would expect, and perhaps large enough to comfortably fit 3-4 adults or 6 or so kids. It's too small for laps or anything along those lines. Having said that, the water and the pool area were extremely clean, and at one point there were about 15-18 kids in the pool at the same time (soccer tournament), and although it looked chaotic, they were all having fun. The manager personally kept coming in to provide new towels and joke around with the families.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, especially at the rate we paid.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

From the time we entered the hotel until we left we were impressed by the cleanliness and the friendly staff. We have stayed here before and have not been disappointed. The rooms are spotless. I am always impressed by how clean the bathrooms are, especially the glass showers. The staff made us feel very welcomed and at home from the onset of our visit. This hotel is centrally located - close to shopping and just minutes away from major attractions (Saratoga, Lake George). This is our favorite place to stay when we are in the area. Love this hotel!!!!!

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are great - we've never had a problem with noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie? Share your experiences!