“Among the worst places to stay in Albany” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Montreal, Canada
“Among the worst places to stay in Albany”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel on January 2 after US Airways cancelled a flight that I was supposed to be on. This Best Western was the only hotel in the area that the airline did business with, therefore they paid for my one night stay.

When I was driving along Wolf Street looking for this place, I passed several nice motels, namely the Hilton Homewood Suites, and the Hampton Inn. When I got to this motel, my first thought was that it was the most run down and dingy one in the area.

Upon arriving, the front desk clerk was very polite and courteous. I asked for a room on an upper floor which was granted to me without a problem. The hallways leading to the rooms are plastered in a 1950's style stucco......once I opened the door to my room, I noticed that the outdated decor continued in there as well. The freezing temperature in the room was not helping matters (It was 2F outside, and the room must have been around 36F). The heater was not turned on, so I proceeded to do so. After half an hour, the air coming out of the unit was still frigid.

While walking downstairs to request a room change, I noticed that the hotel has a courtyard area with an interior pool, so I decided to ask for one of those rooms (I figured that they would be warmer). The front desk immediately provided me with another room, 1st floor/courtyard. This room was warmer, but the heating was still blowing cold air....I decided to stay in this room, since the temperature was not that bad.

The room: Severely outdated and in need of a complete remodeling. The carpet was dirty and the matresses are so old that you sink right in to them. One of the beds had hair and miscellaneous stains in the sheets.

The hotel: Small lobby with a mini sports bar. Extremely long hallways which are like walking through a maze (they actually give you a map at the front desk!!!)

Overall, this was my first stay at a Best Western, and if they are all like this, it will definitely be my last!

• Liked — US Airways paid for the bill!
  • Disliked — Everything else!!
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Central Coast California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

Booked on priceline, and as usual was placed in the furthest room down
the longest corridor even though the hotel was empty. Thank God they did this, because while I lugged my bags down the hallway it gave me a chance to let my mind wander and pretend I was actually entering a time machine. By the looks of this place, it really does make you feel
like you've gone back in time. The hallways are similar to planetary scenes from the original Star Trek. The room has a patterned bed spread that looks like a table cover from a 1950's diner. It was really cool. The interior decorators should have included lava lamps to finish everything off.

The GOOD:
Good rate on Priceline. Free wireless Internet, iron and hair dryer in room, and a fridge. microwave, and tv with tons of channels. The bed actually was really comfortable. Although the room had this 1950's
Space Theme going on, it actually was kind of cool. There are a gazillion places to eat on Wolf Road, and it's really close to the airport with a cheap gas station nearby to fill up the rental on the return.

The BAD:
Shower didn't drain. If you like standing in water then you'll be okay. It's just nasty to me because it soaks with the shower curtain which everyone else did before you. I assume due to Priceline booking I got the furthest room from civilization...not cool since the hotel was empty.

OVERALL:
Good clean place. Plenty of parking, interior hallways good for getting out of the weather in winter. Location is great. Staff non-existent (literally didn't see them anywhere except front desk) which is a good thing. Funky decor and free wireless Internet.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Other hotels nearby that were much better. Got the furthest room in an empty hotel.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dutchess county, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Where do I begin? Noisy rooms, noisy corridors. Broken locks on exterior doors. The decor was hideous. The continental breakfast was nothing great . I have stayed in hotels near airports but this one was the noisiest. At the end of my stay I found an envelope from housekeeping. I didnt know this was still practiced??? I was on a business trip and have to say that I am glad I didnt have to pay for this room.

• Liked — That I didnt have to pay for it
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
san francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed at the Best Western Albany Airport Inn on Sept 11, and 12th. The room was satisfactory as was the price, but I was unable despite numerous phone messages and complaints to the front desk clerk to get either the hotel manager or the housekeeping manager to return my calls regarding a personal item that was either left accidentally by myself in the room upon departure or taken from my travel bag by a housekeeper. I certainly hope not the latter. Although the item was not valuable ,it was a recently purchased souvenir with sentimental value to me. The aggravating part of this experience was not only my inability to ever reach either the housekeeping manager nor the hotel manager by phone, but also their failure to ever return any of some six messages I left with them on their voice mail as well as with the desk clerks. Something serious is lacking in the performance of the management team at this hotel.. T. Kaye

• Disliked — Hotel manager and housekeeping manager failure to respond to my calls for assistance regarding a loss of a personal item
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

Found this hotel on a road trip - needing a stop off, on route after a long days driving. Having just come for 4 star hotel in Niagara, was not quite the same..... however hotel room very clean, and no major complaints. Hotel decor and style are very dated, including bizarre plastering / stucco on the hall walls! am sure was very chic and cutting edge back in the day - just not quite sure when the day was!

Front of house staff at reception very friendly and helpful, and for a cheap and cheerful over night stay - was good value.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Stayed in this hotel for work meetings, I was nervous after reading the reviews and was glad I had some warning. The hotel is outdated, the food provided for our meetings was nothing special, and the rooms were okay. The staff was neither friendly nor rude, but they didn't go out of the way to help us. My room was fine and I didn't have any problems, but several other people I was there with had to be moved several times becuase their rooms were filthy or were given a room that hadn't been cleaned yet. There are so many hotels along that street that are apparently in the same price range. There are much better options!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

After a positive experience with a Best Western in Vancouver, BC the previous month, I figured I would stick with the franchise, and booked a one-night stay in the Airport Inn in Albany before catching an early flight out the next day. HUGE mistake.

The hotel was extremely run down, with worn carpeting and classic 70s style wavy dimensional stucco walls on the inside. The front desk personnel were surly, and worst of all, one of the outside doors, which was supposed to keep non-guests out by only allowing access to people with room key cards, was broken, and clearly had been so for a long time. The door jamb itself was broken and the door swung freely.

The door to my room had a 3 inch gap between the bottom of the door and the carpet.

My room appeared to be clean, but when I went to shower the next morning, I discovered the housekeeping had not found something left by the previous guest that was wrapped around the shower head pipe - some sort of gauze and masking tape sling. The drain cover had been left off the drain, and there was a large wad of hair in the drain.

I should have checked the Trip Advisor reviews before booking here, but I didn't have a lot of time to plan my stay. For the price I paid ($100+ with taxes), I should have packed up and stayed elsewhere. Never again.

• Liked — Closeness to airport
  • Disliked — Lack of security. Poor cleaning service.
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Albany Airport Inn? Share your experiences!