“Dated but decent.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Niantic, Connecticut
“Dated but decent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I would rate the facility 3 stars and the staff 5 stars, hence the 4 star overall rating. My first room was a standard room, which was a little small and very dated. The toilet didn't flush properly, and one visit to the front desk and they quickly moved me to another room which I think they call a Junior Suite. The Junior Suite was just a much bigger room without any extra furniture, including an alcove kind of area that looked like a table and chairs belonged there, but there was just an old chair, which I thought was really strange. It needs some renovations but it was clean and the staff is great, and I would stay there again just because of that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jareddemo1, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Matt Bart,

First I would like to apologize about the issue you had encountered with your toilet. I will work with our staff to be more preventative with these sorts of issues so we can be sure these things do not interrupt your experience. We have updated many facets of the hotel and are going through many more changes in the short future. We are constantly seeking ways for our guests to feel more comfortable. If there is anything you thought your stay was missing or if you can think of anything we can improve on please do not hesitate to send me an email at jdemagistris@sovereignhotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Right across the street from SUNY Albany... It looks small out outdated from the outside. The lobby is small, the elevator very outdated. Get past that.

Room was on the 5th floor. Quiet, all amenities present. Beds comfortable, pillow selection good.

Wall paper and tub surrounds sorta yucky, but clean. They've updated with new shower curtains, curved shower curtain rods and (most excellent) rainshower shower heads. Pressure for the 5th floor good, water was hot. Shampoo/conditioner too random to use, didn't try them.

Wifi was strong and fast.

They have a bar/restaurant. Food was okay, prices were on the high side, but okay. They gave me a $5 coupon (off of $15) at checkin. Almost enough for a glass of wine, and no complaints about that.

Room layout is a little crowded and the furnishings are clean and maintained, though they're getting to the point that they'll need to be replaced soon.

Breakfast in the morning was hot and decent.

Check in was easy, check out was easy. Parking not a problem. Recommend.

Room Tip: 5th floor was good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here two nights and had two very different experiences. First off it's a no frills, dated room but the place clean and staff that first night/day courteous and accommodating. The second night was horrible. Evidently they booked a large party, were understaffed and were receiving a high volume of noise complaints. The quote we got at 3 AM from the front desk was "I'm only one person here...taking note of all the complaints for the manager...speaking frankly, I don't want to get my butt kicked." Awesome, thanks. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Natron06,

On behalf of the entire staff I would like to apologize for the second night of your visit. This sort of occurrence is not normal or by no means acceptable. We are using this event as a learning tool to be sure our events do not disrupt any of our guests in our hotel. Again I am very sorry that this stay has left a bad impression of our hotel on you. We do hope you give us another chance to serve you again in the future to prove to you we can do better! If you have any suggestions or would like to speak further about your experience please contact me directly at the hotel any time or by email at jdemagistris@sovereignhotels.com

Albany, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have a student that attends college in Albany and we found of all the hotels in the area to be the most convenient friendly and accomodating to our frequent weekend trips to watch the sporting events she is involve with.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my first, but will definitely not be my last, stay at the Best Western Sovereign. From the moment we checked in we were treated very well. I asked the front desk staff if there was a comfortable lounge chair in the room, because with dad's arthritis he can no longer sleep in a bed. The staff told me not to worry and if the chair in the room was not comfortable for dad, they would locate another one for him and get it to the room for us. What more could you ask for? It wound up that the chair, as well as the rest of the room, more than met our needs and expectations. We enjoyed using the indoor pool... especially in December. The breakfast buffet was excellent as well with quite a range of offerings including scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and corned beef hash. The entire hotel was very clean. Not only would I recommend the hotel to anyone staying the Albany area, I will certainly be staying here again on one of my future trips to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

It is great to receive such great feedback from a loyal traveler! We are proud you have chosen us as your home away from home. I will share your kind words with my staff at our next meeting to be sure they keep up the great work. See you next time you are in Albany.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I stay 2-3 nights weekly at the best western while finishing school at Albany Med. The location is close to everything I need. The customer service is excellent all staff are kind helpful and always say hello. Last stay I left early in the morning and returned about 9 for breakfast. I left my car lights on and was called shortly after my return by the front desk letting me know they were on. This was much appreciated. The rooms are spacious and the bed is very comfortable. I appreciate how every room has a mini fridge and microwave as I bring food withe during the week to save money. The breakfast has alot of options. The fitness center is nice with several machines a TV and sauna and looks out on to the pool. The only thing I have to recommend is to book online with best western. Since I am here every week for well two more months now I had called to get a rate quote for staying often. I have used this quote once during my first stay. Every other time I have been able to find a lower rate by booking through the website as opposed to using my given rate.

Sarah

• Stayed January 2013
upstate new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night as a stop-over.
The lobby is bright and inviting. Very nice first impression. I checked in without incident, and was given the option of complimentary water bottles and fresh cookies. Complimentary newspapers were available. The staff was very accommodating and polite.
I was given a room with a king-size bed on the 2nd floor. It was a wonderful room, clean, comfy, and amenities (microwave, coffee maker, mini-fridge, hair dryer, complimentary toiletries) were good. The bathroom is somewhat small, but certainly adequate for a one-night stay. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were soft. NO kLEENEX!!!! I looked all over! I found that to be strange, but never the less, the room was fine!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany? Share your experiences!